Jordan Murrell, Skylar Thomas and Josh Janniere training with TFC?

nolando

Don't know if this article has it right (or if it's already been reported) but it says that Syracuse University and Canada U20 members Jordan Murrell and Skylar Thomas are training with TFC:

In addition to the nine playing in the PDL and NPSL, Jordan Murrell and Skylar Thomas have been selected to train with Toronto FC of MLS. Two of the brightest stars in the Canadian youth national program, Thomas and Murrell combined for 28 starts as freshmen for the Orange in 2011. Thomas was Syracuse’s top scoring back with five points (two goals, one assist), while Murrell contributed one goal and earned University of Akron All-Tournament Team honors.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2012/6/6/MSOC_0606120446.aspx

I stumbled across this while looking for Josh Janniere, as Murrell tweeted that:

Jordan Murrell ‏@JMurrell4 First match in a while, felt nice to get 90 in. @Joshjanniere07 with a banger of a goal

TFC have a a team made up of players too old for their senior academy team playing in the OSL in the summer. A number of former academy players now in college are on it. Josh Janniere got cut by the rapids a month or two ago after never seeing any time. It's about time TFC realized it would be wise to keep these older players in the fold. This was discussed on the RPB forum a while ago.

According to this Goal.com article it's only 30 games or practice sessions over the 4 years of college:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/01/09/2838136/monday-mls-breakdown-application-of-the-home-grown-player

"All players must take part in a combination of 80 games or practice sessions before departing for college in order to establish their eligibility for a Home Grown contract. Once they leave for school, they must participate in a minimum of 30 games or practice sessions (usually with the first team, but not always) during their four years in order to maintain their connection to the club. No player may feature in a competitive first-team game without spending at least one season under the club's auspices, even if an exception is made to include them under the Home Grown rule."

Yeah, I have to admit i made that number up based on something i read somewhere else. I guess the point is that it's normal/required that the homegrown players come back to train.

I can't recall where I read it (maybe in this thread), but Rongen was saying that Andrew Wenger was actually a better technical player before he went to Duke. Quite a shot across the bow of NCAA programs, but I guess it makes sense to bring the home grown players back to make sure they aren't regressing while at college.

I can't recall where I read it (maybe in this thread), but Rongen was saying that Andrew Wenger was actually a better technical player before he went to Duke. Quite a shot across the bow of NCAA programs, but I guess it makes sense to bring the home grown players back to make sure they aren't regressing while at college.

Ouch, typical Dutch bluntness i guess...but i imagine he's probably pretty close to the mark.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I have to admit i made that number up based on something i read somewhere else. I guess the point is that it's normal/required that the homegrown players come back to train.

Not to go off topic but this could be said about alot of Duke basketball players as well.

Not to go off topic but this could be said about alot of Duke basketball players as well.

??? I can't think of too many US high school and AAU coaches that could even be qualified to carry Coach K's jock strap. Perhaps if it was a Serbian kid moving from a pro academy environment to play in Rick Pitino's full court press system you might have a point....

It thought it was the North Carolina (Not Duke) program that sapped the skills out of the players in a favour of tactics and systems. What was it they use to say about Michael Jordan? That the only guy who could stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith. But, You guys might be right, maybe its duke as well.

FyI Dean Smith was the long time coach at UNC.

It thought it was the North Carolina (Not Duke) program that sapped the skills out of the players in a favour of tactics and systems. What was it they use to say about Michael Jordan? That the only guy who could stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith. But, You guys might be right, maybe its duke as well.

FyI Dean Smith was the long time coach at UNC.

No, it's quite directly the opposite. But that analogy is outdated at this point. Duke has produced a butt load of NBA players lately and their "only good at the college level" rep is pretty much gone. Traditionally North Carolina was blue-chip prospect finishing school and Duke was good for NBA flame-outs like Christian Laettner. At this point they're both about equal in terms of ability to bring guys to the next level.

UNC went through some lean years after Smith retired and then long time assistant then head coach Bill Guthridge retired too. Matt Doherty did a poor job with the program but Roy Williams has brought it back as strong as ever.

Edit: rewrote it to explain a little better.

??? I can't think of too many US high school and AAU coaches that could even be qualified to carry Coach K's jock strap. Perhaps if it was a Serbian kid moving from a pro academy environment to play in Rick Pitino's full court press system you might have a point....

So you're also a big basketball fan. I learn something new every day on this forum. What do you think of Canada's new professional league?

It's an opinion I've heard in the American sports media that may no longer be relevant as ag futbol explained. On top of that I don't know the context of comments from Rongen so I might have stretched that link too far.

So you're also a big basketball fan. I learn something new every day on this forum. What do you think of Canada's new professional league?

Wouldn't consider myself a big fan of B-Ball, it's probably tied for 4th/5th favourite with Baseball (Hockey, Soccer, NFL Football being 1-2-3). But i used to watch NBA playoffs back in the 80's and 90's when players still had fundamentals and i still have mild interest in March Madness (used to get right into it in my 20's). It's great to see a guy like Tim Duncan still getting it done, nothing pretty, just simple execution -which is something that has been lost on this generation of NBA player. Most of these guys come from the playgrounds, dominate high school, play on AAU teams that are more collections of individuals showcasing themselves than actual teams and then 1 and done in college before hitting the NBA. There is little skill development anymore (shooting, passing, movement off the ball), learning to play the game within a team concept. It's all athleticism and individual ball skill/taking it to hoop. That's why most Dukies don't make it in the NBA, Coach K recruits the most talented kids that fit his idea of how the game should be played; guys who can pass and shoot the ball, spacing, blocking out, game situations, tactics, etc. That and the fact that Duke is one of the better academic institutions means he ends up with mostly highly educated, middle-class kids who have been well-coached at the high school level and he just has to fit them in to his system and they are very receptive to his coaching.

Anyways, you asked me about the Canadian League. I think it's a great idea and i hear they did pretty well this year. Read an article about the Oshawa team and how they had a bunch of Canadians and were doing well and the level of play was surprisingly high. I'd like to see them increase the Cdn quota though, maybe do it slowly, but at some point we need a path for CDN kids to play after CIS or NCAA.

However, it was Tyler Pasher & Cammargo who were the most impressive of the TFC academy in that game, IMO. They both look like they could contribute to the first team right now....

Camargo impressed me too. The goal Amarikwa scored was thanks to him. He is TFC Academy top scorer in CSL with 6 goals and he's only 17 years old.

Also, I've read in rednation that Nicholas Lindsay played recently in TFC Academy game against Brampton. That's good to hear.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/CamargoandMorrisstandoutamongstthepackatT.aspx

"Another thing that caught my eye on the weekend was a pleasant surprise, as long time injured forward/midfielder Nicholas Lindsay started the match and played the entire first half."

Camargo impressed me too. The goal Amarikwa scored was thanks to him. He is TFC Academy top scorer in CSL with 6 goals and he's only 17 years old.

Also, I've read in rednation that Nicholas Lindsay played recently in TFC Academy game against Brampton. That's good to hear.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/CamargoandMorrisstandoutamongstthepackatT.aspx

"Another thing that caught my eye on the weekend was a pleasant surprise, as long time injured forward/midfielder Nicholas Lindsay started the match and played the entire first half."

I was extremely happy to watch that Liverpool match! As much as everyone was talking about it being a waste of TFC's time mid schedule, and all it did was bring out Liverpool fans who have no interest in TFC, I respectfully disagree. I think even the players that got on the pitch had some fun. And was it more Liverpool reserves? Yes, but then we played tit for tat and brought on ours as well, which was AWESOME because how often do you get to see those young Canadian guys on HDTV? Camargo I think has a future!

However, it was Tyler Pasher & Cammargo who were the most impressive of the TFC academy in that game, IMO. They both look like they could contribute to the first team right now....

Was going to post the same thought this morning, but had no time. Also thought Makabuya didn't look bad. Interseting Mariner gave Pasher the armband for the second half!

Archived