Canada vs USA friendly in June

Obinna

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, kudos to the CSA for arranging this great fixture. Well done!

MAJOR koodos to the CSA!

Most likely the weekend prior to the Cuba match? (i.e. Fri/Sat/Sun June 1/2/3)

It has to be sometime between June 1st and June 5th (inclusive) because it's a FIFA competition date and S. Hart has said that the team will only play on FIFA dates.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

I am sure the exact date will be announced tomorrow night when CSA and Umbro launch the 2012 kit.

This is a very exciting announcement and it's the perfect opponent for our centennary. Even though we don't play them often, the Americans are the NT I want to beat more than any other. Here's hoping we get the job done in June.

Guest Brethers

To beat the Americans in the Centennial year would be sweet as. Hopefully we have JDG2 and/or Hoilett for that as well, would definitely fancy our chances!

What about a large banner to encourage people sitting throughout the stadium to come join the Vs section? Something along the lines of "If you love the Red and White come stand with us!" and then perhaps our text logo beneath or something.

What about a large banner to encourage people sitting throughout the stadium to come join the Vs section? Something along the lines of "If you love the Red and White come stand with us!" and then perhaps our text logo beneath or something.

I like this idea. Before joining the V's forum, I had seen a few MNT games on TV but never attended one. I told myself that if I ever went to one, it would be way more fun to be in "that section where all the singing passionate fans are" . I did not know how to get into "that" section until I stumbled upon this forum online looking for other fans talking about soccer in Canada. If the V's had such a banner with the http://www.cansoc.org URL posted and The/Les Voyageurs I think it could only help the cause. If the font is big enough that those people who are watching the games on TV can read it, I think it would do lots of good.

EDIT: Maybe this should be posted in the V's project section?

I like this idea. Before joining the V's forum, I had seen a few MNT games on TV but never attended one. I told myself that if I ever went to one, it would be way more fun to be in "that section where all the singing passionate fans are" . I did not know how to get into "that" section until I stumbled upon this forum online looking for other fans talking about soccer in Canada. If the V's had such a banner with the http://www.cansoc.org URL posted and The/Les Voyageurs I think it could only help the cause. If the font is big enough that those people who are watching the games on TV can read it, I think it would do lots of good.

EDIT: Maybe this should be posted in the V's project section?

Fully agreed. I found out about the voyageurs after seeing them with a large banner at a U-20 WC game in Edmonton.

According to Ben Rycroft's twitter the game will be in "Eastern Canada"

Only makes sense, I was thinking they MIGHT go with Montreal but anyone know if the stadium will be done for sure by then? I think anywhere other than Toronto would be dumb for this game, not that other cities don't deserve it, I just think if we are going to be playing our WCQs in Toronto (including one just over a week later) and our players are flying in and out of Toronto it's only logical.

Only makes sense, I was thinking they MIGHT go with Montreal but anyone know if the stadium will be done for sure by then? I think anywhere other than Toronto would be dumb for this game, not that other cities don't deserve it, I just think if we are going to be playing our WCQs in Toronto (including one just over a week later) and our players are flying in and out of Toronto it's only logical.

It's the National Soccer Stadium! Why not. :D

/ducks out before angry Vancouverites set my car on fire...

I know the players hate turf (and I'm not sure of the overall state of the stadium), but if the CSA is getting a bit optimistic I could see Olympic Stadium being in play. With a good marketing campaign they could definitely draw 30,000+ for the US.

I still think BMO is logical though if we're playing on grass.

I know the players hate turf (and I'm not sure of the overall state of the stadium), but if the CSA is getting a bit optimistic I could see Olympic Stadium being in play. With a good marketing campaign they could definitely draw 30,000+ for the US.

I still think BMO is logical though if we're playing on grass.

Remember though, this is a WCQ PREP match. We aren't worried about numbers at this point, we want our players ready to go vs. Cuba and Honduras.

Remember though, this is a WCQ PREP match. We aren't worried about numbers at this point, we want our players ready to go vs. Cuba and Honduras.

I agree 100%. But if they're playing it in Eastern Canada (assuming it doesn't include Ontario), why would they play it in a grass stadium that has less capacity than BMO? This game should be about prep combined with making some $$.

If any matchup is going to aid in getting numbers (canadian numbers) for the WCQ home dates, it's a matchup vs the USA.

Doesn't matter the sport, Casual Canada is gonna see the matchup and bloodlust will kick in. A match like this can give a kick start to support for the first WCQ home date.

If any matchup is going to aid in getting numbers (canadian numbers) for the WCQ home dates, it's a matchup vs the USA.

Doesn't matter the sport, Casual Canada is gonna see the matchup and bloodlust will kick in. A match like this can give a kick start to support for the first WCQ home date.

It truly is a brilliant piece of marketing, let's hope it pays off.

This. I remember going to the Canada-USA baseball game at Rogers for the 09 World Baseball Classic, and the game drew over 40,000 fans. Canada-Italy drew less than 15,000.

However the Jays are at home the 1-3, so BMO seems most logical either the 1 or 2. I'd personally like an away game against a Central American minnow for a game the 4 or 5 before Cuba on the 8

This wasn't the case with USA-Canada Rugby at BMO. We only had about 10,000 for that.

However the Jays are at home the 1-3, so BMO seems most logical either the 1 or 2. I'd personally like an away game against a Central American minnow for a game the 4 or 5 before Cuba on the 8

I could see the potential for some American support, as the Red Sox are in town that weekend. However, as noted above, the WBC had some American support to and it was the most pro-Canadian non-hockey/Olympic crowd I've ever seen.

e: for the Rugby, I honestly didn't even know they were playing until about three days before the game, and the only tickets left were like $74 or something. That was a brutal marketing/pricing plan by whoever set that up.

This wasn't the case with USA-Canada Rugby at BMO. We only had about 10,000 for that.

I would wager Canada vs X (where X isn't USA) won't be drawing half that.

I believe the numbers inflate when vs the USA, I'd be interested in knowing the attendance for Canada's rugby home fixtures in 2009 vs Wales and Ireland? Did those draw 10K? I can't find it myself to prove it either way.

Regardless, I hope it's in Toronto as I think it would do a good crowd and give us a chance to show off to the casuals in getting them ready for the matches to come.

Archived