2012 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying 19-29 January 2012

paul-collins

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds familiar to me. A university in the U.S., Arizona in this case, recalled Renae Cuellar from México threatening to fail her if she did not return. Very convenient so she is not available to play against the americans. Didn't a similar recall affected 2 or 3 of our players some years ago.

This sounds familiar to me. A university in the U.S., Arizona in this case, recalled Renae Cuellar from México threatening to fail her if she did not return. Very convenient so she is not available to play against the americans. Didn't a similar recall affected 2 or 3 of our players some years ago.

Can you tell us more about this?

BTW, Jody Vance has been absolutely brutal tonight on the Sportsnet telecast. She obviously knows absolutely nothing about soccer and during her half-time interview with one of the US goal scorers (she had lobbed the keeper), she asked "do you practice that?" Wow.

Am I the only one that finds themselves pissed off about how much praising and raving the sportsnet broadcast crew spewed out tonight about Sydney La Roux? I get that scoring 5 is a feat, but to me she is not much better than the whore or ass-smear... I know she has duel citizenship, but like others before her she self servingly used our developmental system and teams as a spring board to play for another team... All the SN crew did for me tonight was remind me of how sick I am of this happeneing, male or female at any age level. The SN guys tear down the male traitors, why not La Roux as well? She is no different.

Am I the only one that finds themselves pissed off about how much praising and raving the sportsnet broadcast crew spewed out tonight about Sydney La Roux? .......................

No you are not alone, every true Canadian supporter does not want to hear about traitors let alone have their mother on the broadcast celebrating.

An email to Sportsnet is one way of telling them how stupid they are.

Am I the only one that finds themselves pissed off about how much praising and raving the sportsnet broadcast crew spewed out tonight about Sydney La Roux? I get that scoring 5 is a feat, but to me she is not much better than the whore or ass-smear... I know she has duel citizenship, but like others before her she self servingly used our developmental system and teams as a spring board to play for another team... All the SN crew did for me tonight was remind me of how sick I am of this happeneing, male or female at any age level. The SN guys tear down the male traitors, why not La Roux as well? She is no different.

I don't think that you can fault the commentators for appreciating Leroux's achievement of five goals in her second international cap. It is indeed unusual, and the goals were spectacular. To ignore this would have been ludicrous.

I can't say that I'm happy that Sydney Leroux used Canada for her development and then shipped off to the US. But we win some and lose some. You can't legislate pride and allegiance to a country. It is one of our civic responsabilities as Canadians, but some don't get that. But on the other side of the coin, Sesselman used the US system and is now happy to be playing for Canada. Most of our players use the US College system for their development.

Leroux has made it clear, she has no allegiance to the country she was raised in and wants to play and make her life in the US. More power to her if it makes her happy. But the reality is, she does not want to play for Canada. Playing for Canada is a privilege, and frankly I wouldn't want her to take anyone's place at this point even if it were possible. She has stated that it is her dream to live in the US, well go ahead and enjoy. She is a young girl with stars (and stripes) in her eyes who only sees the financial and career opportunities of being American, she doesn't see the bigger picture of what Canada stands for. And if on the off chance she does, she has chosen the US. I for one am not particularly sad about losing her.

But in my opinion booing her gives her too much power. She is only a player in a game, it's not that great a loss.

I thought Jody Vance did entertainment interviews or whatever. She should go back to it. The Leroux fawning was way too much. Of course, covering her 5 goals is expected, but do we need a play by play and group hug with her mother in the stands? And then 4 f*ing replays of that?? Here's a thought Jody. Why don't you ask the mother how she felt about her daughter playing against her own country?? Instead of fawning over her.

Doesn't send a good message to potential Cdn players. Most of my 15 yr old boys could have scored 5 against those two crap teams the US has faced to date.

I know she went to a program with greater resources, yada yada yada. With all those resources, you think they could afford some support for Pia! I'm having nightmares.

I don't think that you can fault the commentators for appreciating Leroux's achievement of five goals in her second international cap. It is indeed unusual, and the goals were spectacular. To ignore this would have been ludicrous.

I can't say that I'm happy that Sydney Leroux used Canada for her development and then shipped off to the US. But we win some and lose some. You can't legislate pride and allegiance to a country. It is one of our civic responsabilities as Canadians, but some don't get that. But on the other side of the coin, Sesselman used the US system and is now happy to be playing for Canada. Most of our players use the US College system for their development.

Leroux has made it clear, she has no allegiance to the country she was raised in and wants to play and make her life in the US. More power to her if it makes her happy. But the reality is, she does not want to play for Canada. Playing for Canada is a privilege, and frankly I wouldn't want her to take anyone's place at this point even if it were possible. She has stated that it is her dream to live in the US, well go ahead and enjoy. She is a young girl with stars (and stripes) in her eyes who only sees the financial and career opportunities of being American, she doesn't see the bigger picture of what Canada stands for. And if on the off chance she does, she has chosen the US. I for one am not particularly sad about losing her.

But in my opinion booing her gives her too much power. She is only a player in a game, it's not that great a loss.

I agree with you that Le Roux in and of herself is not that big a loss on an individual level. However the problem so many of us have is that such defections have really added up in the last few years and the bottom line is that our program can not afford to keep hemoraging players when we are trying to turn this program around.

No, I can not fault any broadcaster for highlighting the fact that one player scored so many goals, that is their job. As Ed has said it was the nature of the quality and quantity of what the SN broadcast team covered and emphasized about La Roux. At one point Craig even said that he felt people whom criticize her should not do so because they do not have all the facts. I am sorry to say, but those knowing the basics of what La Roux did and why qualifies canadian soccer fans to feel the way they do. The SN crew did nothing but glamorize and condone the trend of defections in their amateurish boradcast. SN is well aware of the defections on the mens side, I dont understand how they can do what they did with La Roux while activley supporting us fans about the problems on the mens side.

Thank you Even Pellerut for discarding Sidney Leroux. Hope you were watching the U.S. vs Guatemala and kicking yourself one more time.
When you make a statement like that you should include some evidence.... otherwise you just look like a typical hater with nothing better to do.

I agree with you that Le Roux in and of herself is not that big a loss on an individual level. However the problem so many of us have is that such defections have really added up in the last few years and the bottom line is that our program can not afford to keep hemoraging players when we are trying to turn this program around.

No, I can not fault any broadcaster for highlighting the fact that one player scored so many goals, that is their job. As Ed has said it was the nature of the quality and quantity of what the SN broadcast team covered and emphasized about La Roux. At one point Craig even said that he felt people whom criticize her should not do so because they do not have all the facts. I am sorry to say, but those knowing the basics of what La Roux did and why qualifies canadian soccer fans to feel the way they do. The SN crew did nothing but glamorize and condone the trend of defections in their amateurish boradcast. SN is well aware of the defections on the mens side, I dont understand how they can do what they did with La Roux while activley supporting us fans about the problems on the mens side.

I fully understand your point. However, I am not sure that any young Canadian girls are getting the wrong message. My own daughter said, why would she do that when she can go to school in the States, play pro in the States and play for Canada? The bottom line is that it's really about money for those who trade their Canadian passport for another one. They don't have the dream of representing their country, they have the dream of being the next Mia Hamm (David Beckham) with lots of endorsements and a padded bank account. They want to be celebrities. On the women's side at least, I don't see an epedemic of kids wanting to be Americans.

1 - Leroux chose to leave, after having developed in the Canadian system.

2 - The difference between her and Sesselman is that the US didn't want Sesselman, didn't invite her to play for them, didn't spend time and money developing her, and she didn't pledge her soccer playing allegiance to the USA, which Leroux did when she agreed to represent Canada. Sesselman said "yes" when Canada invited her (due to her father's birth in Newfoundland). Leroux used the Canadian progamme until she was wanted by the US, at which point she sold herself to the team she figured would be more financially lucrative to her.

The two situations are quite different.

Re: Attendances

The attendances have been decent so far - more people in Vancouver watched the women play Cuba than have shown up to watch the men in a few of the recent games in Toronto (and the crowd is actually cheering for Canada, not the opposition). Hopefully the CSA will get the message, and play mens games in Vancouver as well, if we're not ever going to get more chances to see Canada teams every year.

It's good to see that the organisers have figured out that they need to put all the fans on the side of the stadium that the cameras show.

Re: Attendances

The attendances have been decent so far - more people in Vancouver watched the women play Cuba than have shown up to watch the men in a few of the recent games in Toronto (and the crowd is actually cheering for Canada, not the opposition). Hopefully the CSA will get the message, and play mens games in Vancouver as well, if we're not ever going to get more chances to see Canada teams every year.

It's good to see that the organisers have figured out that they need to put all the fans on the side of the stadium that the cameras show.

Canada vs. Costa Rica tonight with an announced attendance of 8105

1 - Leroux chose to leave, after having developed in the Canadian system.

2 - The difference between her and Sesselman is that the US didn't want Sesselman, didn't invite her to play for them, didn't spend time and money developing her, and she didn't pledge her soccer playing allegiance to the USA, which Leroux did when she agreed to represent Canada. Sesselman said "yes" when Canada invited her (due to her father's birth in Newfoundland). Leroux used the Canadian progamme until she was wanted by the US, at which point she sold herself to the team she figured would be more financially lucrative to her.

The two situations are quite different.

She was not wanted by the USA prior to moving to the us at age 15 in 2005. She was not cleared to play with the usa until 2008. Hence she spent 3 years in the USA moving from house to house and club to club developing herself in the game.

The "money developing her" is total BS as like all Canadian and USA players our development systems are pay to play. Who do you think paid more for her development up to age 14? Certainly wasn't the CSA

You guys are hilarious to think you have some valid point to put players in youth development in some box, label them and try to restrict their development. It's one of the reason the Canadian youth system has not developed players and coaches.Athletes are free to move where ever they want to complete what they think is the best development for them.

Further many of you call yourselves fans but you are not as you don't even consider that heckling, swearing and etc in the stands is poor sportsmanship. It has nothing to do with how much you pay for you ticket to view the game or that you have so many in your group. Your actions are no more different than some idiot showing up at some kids game doing the same thing. What is in the stands should respect the game and players on the pitch as everyone participates. To do otherwise is totally ignoring the foundations of sports, the Olympic creed and other aspects.

Further many of you call yourselves fans but you are not as you don't even consider that heckling, swearing and etc in the stands is poor sportsmanship. It has nothing to do with how much you pay for you ticket to view the game or that you have so many in your group. Your actions are no more different than some idiot showing up at some kids game doing the same thing. What is in the stands should respect the game and players on the pitch as everyone participates. To do otherwise is totally ignoring the foundations of sports, the Olympic creed and other aspects.
Good grief! Why don't we just not bother and play all our games away.

No heckling boys, no heckling! Silence please, the players need to concentrate.

Archived