The official "I hate artificial turf" thread

brownbear

Watching a game on that stuff takes away so much of the pleasure. The ball is continually bouncing, when the ball is played along the carpet it sticks, and it causes too many injuries. I can't believe that we're going to have to watch another 5+ years (at least) of the 'Caps playing on this ****e.

The SSS, with natural grass, can not come soon enough for me.

But will it ever come?

That is a valid question. Not only do we have no progress on it but the 2 other teams in the PacNW are on fake turf. To make it worse they use the crumb rubber crap because it's cheap instead of the more modern cork & coconut shell infill stuff (Limonta, no heat island, better bounce & roll).

I hope when then move into BC Place it has better turf than this crap and I hope Portland can eventually get the stadium to themselves so they can kick out the pointy ball boys and put in real grass there as well.

I would prefer natural grass but if all I can get is the superb FieldTurf such as Empire Field has I won't complain. Better get used to it because until the Whitecaps can build their own facility, playing at BC Place means FieldTurf for all regular games.

Looks like Seattle is getting fed up with it.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2014756247_sounders13.html

In January, Qwest Field's three-year-old FieldTurf failed to achieve FIFA two-star certification (the highest rating for artificial surfaces) and currently holds FIFA one-star status. All the other MLS teams that play on turf New England (Gillette Stadium, FieldTurf), Portland (JELD-WEN Field, FieldTurf), Vancouver (B.C. Place, Polytan) play on two-star artificial surfaces or will upon the completion of their permanent stadiums.

FIFA's official website categorizes one-star synthetic fields as mainly for recreational, community and municipal use. Players almost unanimously prefer grass as well, and Seattle goalkeeper Kasey Keller said Tuesday that the opportunity to play on a natural surface on the road could be one reason why the team plays so well away from home.

-- With Deso Grassmaster and Limonta/GeoSafePlay I don't know why we still play on crumb rubber other than it is cheap.

Not sure,but I think the official thread started sometime in 2007.

If ever started praying, it would be a for a SSS in Vancouver.

Fair enough! I remember those threads and was delighted when BMO went to natural grass. If there was some way we could pick up Swangard's pitch and drop it right at the middle of [T]Empire. When TFC was here [Vancouver] last year for the Nutrilite game, I was down on the field surface as the teams were warming up, and asked one of TFC's coaches what he thought of the surface. "Immaculate", was his response.

I thank the poster above for the Keller comment. I'll add that to the file.

Does anybody know what the VWFC top brass thinks about the whole artificial turf issue? Are they resigned to simply having to play on it for the next 5+ years or is there some potential for finding a semi-permanent solution in the near future and while still at BC Place?

It's almost scandalous that the three Pacific Northwest teams have the worst playing surfaces. Our viewing publics deserve better.

I would prefer natural grass but if all I can get is the superb FieldTurf such as Empire Field has I won't complain. Better get used to it because until the Whitecaps can build their own facility, playing at BC Place means FieldTurf for all regular games.

The turf at Empire is not 'superb'. It's low grade compared to others in MLS, and the BC Place stuff will supposedly be of a higher grade, as well.

The surface at Empire is reflective of the entire stadium -- good enough for a few months until something better comes along.

The problem at Quest is the pitch takes an extra pounding from the NFL Seahawks. We saw the same issue at BMO with all the community use, which I know was a condition of getting the place built. Portland will see the same issues if they don't manage it properly.

I noticed, watching yesterday's game on TV, that the ball took funny bounces (ie.: ball bounced in slightly in opposite direction) on two occasions. With field turf, I am not sure that the surface stays flat through out over extended use. I saw this at BMO field as well in year two and three. I suspect the peables build up in different areas of the pitch.

As long as it's new, the surface looks good and seems to play well. It's just that after a while, it starts to look more black than green in areas of heavy traffic.

I channel surfed for a second and missed the David Ferreira injury live, but in the one replay that they showed, it looked like a direct result of he turf. The tackle was tough but we have seen much worst. What I saw is that the turf didn't give and his foot stayed planted. All we ever got was anecdotal evidence of injuries due to turf but that one might be the first one that i have ever seen.

The problem at Quest is the pitch takes an extra pounding from the NFL Seahawks. We saw the same issue at BMO with all the community use, which I know was a condition of getting the place built. Portland will see the same issues if they don't manage it properly.

Actually, I think that if they have to share a facility with football, then they are better off playing soccer on field turf. On a grass surface, the field gets hacked by gridiron football and the soccer ball bounces as it's rolling rather than rolling flat.

One more reason why you need SSS.

Vancouver should try to get natural grass for no other reason than giving free agents a reason to not sign with their team. All things being equal, a player will pick grass. Any team with artificial turf is at an immediate disadvantage.

Vancouver should try to get natural grass for no other reason than giving free agents a reason to not sign with their team. All things being equal, a player will pick grass. Any team with artificial turf is at an immediate disadvantage.

Yup but we all know that Vancouver will never have grass until the day they have their own stadium.

Yup but we all know that Vancouver will never have grass until the day they have their own stadium.

Judging by what we've read here on this forum over the years, Kerfoot wanted to build his own stadium (and pay for it himself) but the city wouldn't let him.

Judging by what we've read here on this forum over the years, Kerfoot wanted to build his own stadium (and pay for it himself) but the city wouldn't let him.

The port authority wanted a lot more than a land swap. The city was on side to get it done but we are still waiting on the port authority. They move at a bureaucratic rate (think glaciers).

that's a shame if true. It's very rare that a team owner is willing to pay for his own building, and not putting his hand out.

that's a shame if true. It's very rare that a team owner is willing to pay for his own building, and not putting his hand out.

It was certainly one of the more puzzling and incredible scenarios that I have seen.

The port authority wanted a lot more than a land swap. The city was on side to get it done but we are still waiting on the port authority. They move at a bureaucratic rate (think glaciers).

Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't it the city that came up with solution and forced the hand of the whitecaps to accept the shared facility deal with the Lions at BC place under the guise of a renovated stadium? I seem to recall that there were other options (other than federal lands owned by the port authority) open to kerfoot and that they (Caps) were forced into this solution. Or perhaps the reports here were not as accurate.

I remeber thinking that for MLS, a facility like BC place was not "right sized". Kind of like Giants stadium and Gillette Stadium were for MLS and those clubs have not been the most successful at the gate. Seattle is of course the exception.

I don't think the Caps were 'forced' into this situation but there are very few options for a new downtown stadium and I have little doubt they were offered a sweet deal with the five year BC Place lease to help the politicians justify the refurbishment. What with everything else that was going on with their move to MLS it must have been a relief to be able to relax a bit over the SSS stadium issue for a while. The most pressing issue right now is a permanent training facility.

It has not reached the level that it did in Toronto yet, but 2 months into MLs exsistence and players are already complaining about the turf. Here is Joe Cannon's tweet yesterday.

" With Ferreira's broken ankle and Brovsky's sprained one, MLS needs to think twice about artificial surfaces."

It has not reached the level that it did in Toronto yet, but 2 months into MLs exsistence and players are already complaining about the turf. Here is Joe Cannon's tweet yesterday.

" With Ferreira's broken ankle and Brovsky's sprained one, MLS needs to think twice about artificial surfaces."

I played on BMO's turf. It was shockingly bad. I am sure it didn't start out that way, but that facility was used 10+ hours a day 7 days a week.

Yankee reports and comments all claim Leathers was malicious and broke Ferreira's ankle.....erm, what game were they watching? Yes, the turf is part of the reason DF's ankle was broke.

Archived