CONCACAF U20 WCQ - Canada vs. Guadeloupe March 28th, 2011

jpg75

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't impressed with the attacking play at all in the first half, it was way too predictable and I think most of our attacks ended with Jackson. Once Osorio came on things changed as everyone agrees. We are dangerous off set pieces that's for sure with Teibert. Our backline was shaky at times and they've conceded a lot of goals in the pre match run up so thats a concern, how are they going to be against a team like Costa Rica or a quarter final team.. Cavallini, Osorio, Teibert and Gage were our best I thought, Henry also looked good in the short time he played

Did not comment during the match, BUT, I would like to get back to you Dooms-dayers at half time. Let's try to be a little more positive , as we go along, because "Our boys read THIS TOO"

Well, we have to call it as we see it. We didn't look good in the first half but i didn't see any doom-saying comments although i might have missed them. Nor did I see anything that would be particularly harsh. We were just hoofing balls around and it seemed like there was no purpose, philosophy or plan to what we were doing. Obviously something was said behind closed doors at half time and it was probably the same thing that was said here in this thread. This is a discussion forum and we discuss the game and what is happening. Should we refrain from commenting if we don't like what we are seeing? Yes, the players read this but this is first and foremost a forum for the fans. not the players.

Did not comment during the match, BUT, I would like to get back to you Dooms-dayers at half time. Let's try to be a little more positive , as we go along, because "Our boys read THIS TOO"

Mazha, I've agreed with you regarding the comments about games we can't see but when we can watch a game I think all comments are welcome unless they are abusive. We need to call it as we see it, and from what I can understand we didn't have a good first half and the comments were made in that regard.

^ no worries. i remember hearing something crazy like the entire starting back four of frances world cup winning squad in 98 had close ties to guadaloupe - ie. born there or father was born there, etc.

i have no clue where i have heard this or if there is any accuracy to this statement but i do recall being amazed (for some reason i think there may have even been a few others on that french team that had links to guadaloupe as well).

http://www.thesoccerinsiders.com/2010/07/curious-case-of-guadeloupe-soccer.html

The Curious Case of Guadeloupe Soccer

If you are like me, you remember Guadeloupe storming through the Gold Cup to the Semis in the summer of 2007. Wow, they must be phenomenally talented. I wonder where they develop such skill for a country of only 405,000 inhabitants.

Sure, I know Guadeloupe is a former French colony, but with that skill, why aren’t we seeing them in CONCACAF qualifying?

The short answer is because they can’t. As a French Protectorate, they don’t qualify for FIFA membership. What?! You say the country that produced Thierry Henry can’t play as a member of FIFA? How is that possible if they played in the Gold Cup?

As a Protectorate, the Gwada Boys, as they are called, are only allowed to play in non-FIFA sporting events such as the Gold Cup and Caribbean Championships. What makes this interesting is that players, if they are good enough, can declare to play for France. They can actually switch allegiances back to Guadeloupe, but only after a five year international “sit out” of sorts. The ironic part is that at some point, because of this rule, though I doubt that it would happen, you could see Thierry Henry suit up for Guadeloupe.

In the meantime, players who have no legitimate chance of making regular appearances with the French National Team are left to play for Guadeloupe. Such players as David Sommeil (8 app. 1 goal for France), Jocelyn Angloma (37 app. 1 goal for France) and Miguel Comminges (currently with Cardiff City) left Guadeloupe to play overseas and returned once their national aspirations failed to pan out. That said, each spent significant time plying their trade in Europe at the club level. In the case of Angloma, most of his appearances were off the bench and he decided to return to his home country to play.

Remember Lilian Thuram? The French Football player is from Guadeloupe. Thierry Henry? Yeah, as mentioned before, his parents were from Guadeloupe. William Gallas? Born in France, he could have played for Guadeloupe because of his parent’s heritage. Want some more names? Okay, Pascal Chimbonda, Louis Saha, Gael Clinchy, Mikael Silvestre, and Eric Abidal. Of those, only Chimbonda was born on Guadeloupe, but Saha, Clinchy, Silvestre and Abidal all have parents of Guadeloupe descent.

There are about 130 teams and ~16,000 registered players in Guadeloupe. With that kind of development, it is a shock we haven’t heard more about the Gwada Boys. Possibly, it is because many younger players have withheld their intent to play for Guadeloupe in hopes of making it big with France. What is of note, looking at the aged players listed above and their significant roles in the success of Les Bleus, it isn’t hard to foresee a long bleak future for the FFF without its former colony keeping the pipeline of quality players going.

Photo: Carribean-Sun.com

, nothing our keeper could do about it.

I was impressed with our keeper from what i saw yesterday. He looked sure handed (didn't spill any balls), it seemed like he was in good position everytime and he looked pretty athletic. The outcome in the first half could have been different with someone else in there.

I was impressed with our keeper from what i saw yesterday. He looked sure handed (didn't spill any balls), it seemed like he was in good position everytime and he looked pretty athletic. The outcome in the first half could have been different with someone else in there.

Ya Julien looked good and confident throughout even after the first goal, good to see

This match was an abysmal performance for us. I thought we were athletically out-performed and at times out-performed in skill. Honestly I didn't think we should have come away with the win - we were lucky they didn't get two on us in the first half.

^ I didn't see any of the game, but from the comments on here, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about qualification like I had with the U17s. However, let's put this in perspective. The team had low expections from the beginning, whether it be a result of parental complaints (Kliment), injuries to key players (Stillo & Lindsay, Cousens), release refusals (Morgan & Hoillet), late arrivals (Teibert & Henry), player diversity (players from European clubs, Canadian clubs, US schools, South American clubs) and questionable coaching assignments (Gazzola?).

Three points is three points. Hopefully, the boys have come together under adversity, build on their second half performance and pull this out.

Archived