Who should TFC pursue as a designated player??

Prof

I believe now that we have a Dutch connection TFC should go after one of the best strikers of the last decade Ruud van Nistelrooy. His contract is up in June and I think he could still score goals in the MLS like Angel did for NYRedBulls.

Don't know who, but Aron Winter in this article indicates that he definitely wants to bring a 2nd DP in:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/927998--kelly-sitting-down-with-toronto-fc-s-new-boss-aron-winter

Some interesting comments from Winter in there.

my fav part

“The way they were playing, it’s really that old-style English soccer that’s really on high speed — kick and rush soccer,” said Winter, and here his lip curled slightly. “That I don’t like.”

Glad to hear this im sick of watching the kick and chase game

but I wanna see some players get added that will help and not these old players that come here for the pay chaque

My personal favourite target for TFC would be Clarence Seedorf. He had been rumoured on his way our of San Siro..

This guy has nothing left to accomplish in Europe he has 4 Champion Leagues, 3 domestic cups (1 Dutch, 2 Italian), 2 Erevidise, 1 La Liga, 1 Serie A, and 2 UEFA midfielder of the years.

He fits into every category that TFC could possibly looking for in a DP, would displace the ever tiring DeRo, and is familiar with Winter. Hopefully, Becks talked up the MLS a lot in his loan spells at AC.

Pipedream maybe, but stranger things have happened.

and somewhat of an after thought would be Nigerian INT Kanu, but he definitely has the potential of flop in him, unlike the aforementioned Seedorf.

I actually like the Seedorf idea, although I am generally opposed to older DP's. He may have a GBS effect in Toronto, that guy was certainly a positive for Columbus. Also gives us another player in the middle with good movement, something JDG needs to be more effective.

^ I don't know to much about Seedorf, but turning 35 soon is certainly a turn-off. As for Kanu I don't think we should be using a DP slot on and 45 year old whose scored a grand total of 3 goals over the last two and a half years.

lol Kanu is old but he's not 45. Mabye 40 or 41?

If TFC give Dro a DP spot I will die. He simply isn't good enough. come on. Lets be dead honest here. He had a very good season, has had a few good seasons in the MLS, but you can't go and drop a DP spot on a 32 year old career north American player who's best years are behind him at 32 years of age. I know Mista, etc etc etc. I know they were all terrible as well, but lets not make the mistake again. Seedorf, Van Nistelrooy, Sol Campbell etc.. all over the hill guys but are invaluable in a team that is growing for leadership etc..

If TFC give Dro a DP spot I will die. He simply isn't good enough. come on. Lets be dead honest here. He had a very good season, has had a few good seasons in the MLS, but you can't go and drop a DP spot on a 32 year old career north American player who's best years are behind him at 32 years of age. I know Mista, etc etc etc. I know they were all terrible as well, but lets not make the mistake again. Seedorf, Van Nistelrooy, Sol Campbell etc.. all over the hill guys but are invaluable in a team that is growing for leadership etc..

If they don't give it it won't be because he's not good enough it's because he's under contract for his current salary and that should be the end of.

Everything else you said about his abilities are way off. Had a 'few' good seasons? His best years are behind him? If you go by goal ratio right now he's in his prime.

And let's forget who created this rule - his precedent for leadership is set and that should not necessarily be the final criteria for a DP.

I don't agree - many players agree to new contracts during existing contracts, that has never stopped a player before?

I don't argue he had a good season last year - but having a good season when your 32 doesn't mean your in your prime? physically, he is on the decline. Thats just a physiological fact, at 32, you tend to decline. thats just the way it is, you can't argue that.. Of course there are cases of the contrary, but is Dwayne Derosario, one of those rare special cases ? Highly doubtful. Prime? come on be real. Leaving out his awful leadership and selfish attitude, because personally I don't care what kid of childish things he does. I want the best for the Club, and looking around the league at DP's, if we want to keep up, then it simply can't be an ageing career north American player. I would trade him, while he is still somewhat valuable and move on.

Goal ratio I am not sure is the only thing to consider when considering "prime". Inzaghi had a good goal scoring record last season, not sure that he is in his "prime"..

I don't agree - many players agree to new contracts during existing contracts, that has never stopped a player before?

I'd say what you are referring to are contract extensions to keep the player from becoming a free agent when his current contract expires.

Most pro athletes under contract wouldn't say that they deserve more money now and refuse to play until they get it.

Actually, one - Alexei Yashin.

I am not sure I get your point?

Yes, agreeing new contracts during existing contacts is called a contract extension to stop them from becoming free agents... I am not sure what your point is? I never said players demand more money and refuse to play until they get it? I said having an existing contract never stopped a player from wanting to renegotiate.. Dro simply not good enough to be a DP in my opinion.

I don't know how any TFC fan could dislike Seedorf, in 2007 he was the UEFA midfielder of the year. (so his age has NOT caught up to him.)

He has played his entire career at the highest level on the planet with the arguably best clubs in the world (especially during his tenure's) and is still doing so.

Giving into DeRo at this point doesn't sit right with me, I think it's been dragged out too long. By no means am I saying he doesn't deserve it or didn't earn it (the DP contract). I think the time has passed though they should of signed him to it a long time ago, and no one would of complained about it, but now with all the changes, the nastiness that came up in the media and what not, not sure if it's the right thing to do, it's gonna be all in Winter's hands now, though I think he'll make the right choice.

Totally off topic, but I haven't followed the CMNT new jersey thread. Thescottc, that kid would be a dream come true alternate with the home jersey being a reverse Ajax. Whoever came up with that white jersey with the flag piping....genius! Seriously, you people should be contacting Umbro and CSA and saying "take the damn design and use it - offer me a few and make it happen." As for DP - Seedorf would be superb! BUT, Kotton, have you been smoking again? You can't sue 2007 midfielder of the year as a reason for his inclusion. He is older now and 3 years is a long time in footballing terms. Just look at Ronaldinho's drop-off over the same time period. BUT, I agree with ya, Seedorf would be an excellent signing to support the forwards and JDG simult, as well I agree DERO can't have a DP contract for all the reasons mentioned.

• 1 month later...
I believe now that we have a Dutch connection TFC should go after one of the best strikers of the last decade Ruud van Nistelrooy. His contract is up in June and I think he could still score goals in the MLS like Angel did for NYRedBulls.

Nobody. TFC should acquire two quality fullbacks for less than DP wages.

Archived