Edgar to Norwich?

TBH, I wouldn't mind if they stay in MLS. If our core of players plays in MLS, a decent league with CONCACAF like opposition, the better for us.

I think only the cream of our players should be in top leagues in Europe (ie: Atiba, Hoillett if he ever play for us). Having players in second leagues (unless they are really young like Straith and Jackson) doesn't really help us on a MNT perspective. It would be easier for us if, like the Central American countries, we could get most of our players together when we want because they are playing in the same region. Honduras qualified with 4-5 of their top players in Europe while the core of the team was playing in Honduras or Central America and I think we should do the same. Of course, I'm well aware that money is a big factor here....

I'm not sure it's crucial for us to have Johnson and Jakovic in Europe, but if they have a good opportunity they should go back.

Agreed, I think it would garner so much more stability in the depth and development to our national team. having everyone in different leagues at different levels makes it hard to guage which guys should be called having a good majority of our core back at home and the rest in higher skilled leagues will allow us to really start to compete properly at the highest levels of the game.

Is that not how our team was sorta assembled during the run to the World Cup? you had James, Miller and Bridge abroad and the rest were domestically in the NASL. Not to mention how the USA and Mexico run there systems, and it works.

Agreed, I think it would garner so much more stability in the depth and development to our national team. having everyone in different leagues at different levels makes it hard to guage which guys should be called having a good majority of our core back at home and the rest in higher skilled leagues will allow us to really start to compete properly at the highest levels of the game.

Is that not how our team was sorta assembled during the run to the World Cup? you had James, Miller and Bridge abroad and the rest were domestically in the NASL. Not to mention how the USA and Mexico run there systems, and it works.

Another point that I didn't mentionned in my first post is that having the majority of our players in NA would make it easier for the coaching staff to see them and get a better understanding of who they are.

Another point that I didn't mentionned in my first post is that having the majority of our players in NA would make it easier for the coaching staff to see them and get a better understanding of who they are.

Interesting discussion and a number of good points, loyola (as usual). I would also add that lessening the time zone/travel dimension of NA based members playing in CONCACAF would be hugely beneficial.

Gee, remember when he played in the pre season friendly against I think it was Mallorca?(while he was still at Newcastle) and they inquired about him after he had a terrific match? Makes you wonder what coulda been... He's still young though but a move is in order... He should flee England. He's never really been appreciated and is usually played out of position. Germany would be great, even if its in a strong div 2 side. Hell, I'd prefer to see him in Turkey, Belgium, Portugal or even Greece.... Get outta England though, they don't get it.

Gee, remember when he played in the pre season friendly against I think it was Mallorca?(while he was still at Newcastle) and they inquired about him after he had a terrific match? Makes you wonder what coulda been... He's still young though but a move is in order... He should flee England. He's never really been appreciated and is usually played out of position. Germany would be great, even if its in a strong div 2 side. Hell, I'd prefer to see him in Turkey, Belgium, Portugal or even Greece.... Get outta England though, they don't get it.

It was Malaga and ya makes you wonder but at the same time that was probably never considered by David. David was living with family in Newcastle remember, upping and moving to Spain at 18 probably wasn't realistic at the time anyways. I don't know if its time to move from England yet... I mean just because he isn't playing at one club doesn't mean no club in England is right for him. At the end of the day as long as he is settled, playing and training at a good level it doesn't matter what country the club is from. I think David is comfortable in England/UK I could see him moving to Scotland maybe.

Interesting discussion and a number of good points, loyola (as usual). I would also add that lessening the time zone/travel dimension of NA based members playing in CONCACAF would be hugely beneficial.

Thanks, and I agree with your point. I think what best exemplify what I'm trying to say is the camp we had in Poland/Macedonia or in Ukraine where all our MLS guys (except maybe 1) aren't attending. Then we have a January camp where Euro players aren't there and then it's the GC and some players can't make it as well (but I think the 2011 GC will be relatively free of absentee except for Lars). How can our coaching staff work with the squad when we only have 10 of our top 20 players every time we get together?

Some here have said it's good that approx. 40-50 players have been called in 2 years by SH. I disagree since I think with the players we're having we should work with the top 25-30 players if we want to be efficient.

Both Honduras and Costa Rica have the bulk of their players playing in domestic leagues though CR does send a lot of players to Jamaica, I would think there is very little value in choosing to play in Europe just for the sake of playing in Europe. If a player is not getting "quality" minutes in a "quality" situation, I would rather they stay in NA and play MLS. Seems to be working for the two countries we need to beat. Eventually if they develop and have the opportunity to play in the top 8 leagues, that's great, But playing in Finland, Scotland or Austria, etc...better to be in MLS where you can be familiar with the players around you who will be playing Internationally. Just my opinion...I know coaching, culture, etc etc...lots of arguements but if the players are here it'll be easier to develop a squad.

Thanks, and I agree with your point. I think what best exemplify what I'm trying to say is the camp we had in Poland/Macedonia or in Ukraine where all our MLS guys (except maybe 1) aren't attending. Then we have a January camp where Euro players aren't there and then it's the GC and some players can't make it as well (but I think the 2011 GC will be relatively free of absentee except for Lars). How can our coaching staff work with the squad when we only have 10 of our top 20 players every time we get together?

Some here have said it's good that approx. 40-50 players have been called in 2 years by SH. I disagree since I think with the players we're having we should work with the top 25-30 players if we want to be efficient.

+1. Good post.

Certainly, injuries and player availability played a role in that cattle call. I didn't mind that we had quite a few call ups because it gave the coaching staff a chance to see what the playing depth looked like. I'm sure we'll be seeing that 25+ core from now on, with injury issues and player form still being factor in selection.

Both Honduras and Costa Rica have the bulk of their players playing in domestic leagues though CR does send a lot of players to Jamaica, I would think there is very little value in choosing to play in Europe just for the sake of playing in Europe. If a player is not getting "quality" minutes in a "quality" situation, I would rather they stay in NA and play MLS. Seems to be working for the two countries we need to beat. Eventually if they develop and have the opportunity to play in the top 8 leagues, that's great, But playing in Finland, Scotland or Austria, etc...better to be in MLS where you can be familiar with the players around you who will be playing Internationally. Just my opinion...I know coaching, culture, etc etc...lots of arguements but if the players are here it'll be easier to develop a squad.

Hold on there. MLS is not quite at the same level as the Mexican Primera Liga, not even close. The Mexican League is arguably the best out outside of Europe.

IMO, MLS teams need to take the Champions League a LOT more serious. Hell it would be nice to see some Canadians try their luck in Mexico, then again getting a work permit there is anything but easy...

I do agree that it's better for players to get some time playing in MLS vs. sitting on the bench over in Europe for the sake of being in Europe.

Hold on there. MLS is not quite at the same level as the Mexican Primera Liga, not even close. The Mexican League is arguably the best out outside of Europe.

IMO, MLS teams need to take the Champions League a LOT more serious. Hell it would be nice to see some Canadians try their luck in Mexico, then again getting a work permit there is anything but easy...

I do agree that it's better for players to get some time playing in MLS vs. sitting on the bench over in Europe for the sake of being in Europe.

I do think the Mexcian Primera is a higher level then the MLS. This is off the intended topic obviously but Brazil and Argentinian leagues are a good deal above the Mexican league.

I do think the Mexcian Primera is a higher level then the MLS. This is off the intended topic obviously but Brazil and Argentinian leagues are a good deal above the Mexican league.

Depends. The Mexican league is better on average. I would put a bottom feeder from the Primera up against a bottom feeder from Brazil any day of the week. I did watch a fair bit of Serie A down in Brazil when I was there. The Brazilian top 8 or so, however, is on par with and in the top 4, above the Primera's quality.

Mexico is not one of "the two countries we need to beat" as referenced by Slamo, who was talking about Honduras and Costa Rica.

Archived