Edgar to Norwich?

It's good for Edgar as long as he gets the playing time. Hume's loan to Preston helped him get his form back, a fresh start or loan might do the same for Edgar. It's better than rotting on the bench game after game... the guy is getting on in age, he needs to do something to kick start his career quick.

Adam Drury has been at LB for the majority of the season. While Leon Barnett and Elliot Ward have been the mainstays in the middle of the defense.

ZAch Whitbread would be in the mix for those jobs as well if Healthy, but he isn't.

So if Edgar makes the move I think he has more than a good chance to play as a regular, displacing the 32 year old Drury at LB would be his best bet.

I don't know much about their backline, but it would be strange for him to push his way into a team that has been ahead of Burnley all season. I think he has to go somewhere where he is gaurenteed to get 90 minutes every game,which may involve dropping to league 1 or moving to MLS. Mabye even a loan to an SPL side would be better. But hey, if he can make it work at a club like Norwich or any other championship club I'd be pretty happy

I don't know much about their backline, but it would be strange for him to push his way into a team that has been ahead of Burnley all season. I think he has to go somewhere where he is gaurenteed to get 90 minutes every game,which may involve dropping to league 1 or moving to MLS. Mabye even a loan to an SPL side would be better. But hey, if he can make it work at a club like Norwich or any other championship club I'd be pretty happy

I have no doubt Edgar can be a regular starter in the championship he doesn't need to move to League One, we're talking about a player by who all accounts looked competent for Burnley last season in the EPL. Burnley just isn't the place for Edgar he needs to move to a club where he can start.

ugg...he sucks at left back....thats why he stopped getting time at burnley....he is a centre back and that's it...he plays well there every time and then gets put outside and he's lousy and then gets benched....he needs several games in the middle and he will show that he has ability.

For whatever reason he just can't seem to get a run at playing CB! He really has to play some significant minutes there in someone's first team to get his career back on track! Fullback is not his position, end of story! A move to any team in almost any league where he is going to play his preferred position is in order!

ugg...he sucks at left back....thats why he stopped getting time at burnley....he is a centre back and that's it...he plays well there every time and then gets put outside and he's lousy and then gets benched....he needs several games in the middle and he will show that he has ability.

You have it spot on here - he plays a position where he needs to adjust to the players around him and that takes a few games. He needs a manager who can afford him the odd hiccough along the way. I actually see no reason why he couldn't suit up for the likes of Blackpool or some of the lesser-light EPL sides within the next year or two, maybe follow a Championship side up. His stock may have tumbled but I still think he must have the tools and still has massive upswing.

Worse case scenario he should go to Denmark, certainly before MLS I think as he has an impressive CV that should give him a few shots in another parts of the continent. Oh and BTW, we don't need another bench-warmer in Germany.

You have it spot on here - he plays a position where he needs to adjust to the players around him and that takes a few games. He needs a manager who can afford him the odd hiccough along the way. I actually see no reason why he couldn't suit up for the likes of Blackpool or some of the lesser-light EPL sides within the next year or two, maybe follow a Championship side up. His stock may have tumbled but I still think he must have the tools and still has massive upswing.

Worse case scenario he should go to Denmark, certainly before MLS I think as he has an impressive CV that should give him a few shots in another parts of the continent. Oh and BTW, we don't need another bench-warmer in Germany.

No way he should go to Denmark before the MLS, thats a trend that needs to stop, I much rather him be in the top two division's in either England, or Germany if not come back to the North America, where he could build his cofidence back in a league where you can have that hiccup here and there. Montreal next year wouldn't be a terrible spot for him. I really want to see a number of Canadians abroad toilling in lower leagues decide to come back home to North America.

Hopefully Dunfield emerges as a regular impact player which I think he can, and Cann keeps his rock solid form as the anchor man for TFC. Then you will begin to see players like Issey, Bernier, Occean, and so on take notice of Cann, and Dunfield and how well they are doing here.

Should bode well for the CMNT.

Lets be realistic. The guy has not played well over the last couple of years. Right now, he is not good enough to start in the Championship. He needs to go a place where he can play.

Exactly, and I'm not sure the discussion about where he should go next should be based on other Canadians players experience. Success in a league depends on the player himself, the fact others Canadians had success or not is irrevelant IMO.

As far as I'm concern, if Edgar wants to stay in England, League One might be the best place for him. He'll have more chance to prove himself there.

No way he should go to Denmark before the MLS, thats a trend that needs to stop

Don't think Hutch is complaining about his move to Denmark..

Lets see. He can make way more money in Denmark, tax free money at that, and expect more ready exposure to the bigger UEFA leagues.

Or, he could move to MLS and get this thing the Americans like to call "a salary cap" or "domestic quotas" or "designated player" blah, blah, blah.

Players do not go from Europe to MLS to revitalize their careers, they go to MLS to finish them. Same thing cannot be said of a move to Scotland or Scandinavia or a great many other of UEFA's secondary leagues. Far from it.

Stay in Europe, David. For the love of Gawd if you have any serious ambitions left stay in Europe.

P.S. Don't mean that to sound overly harsh, just a statement of facts as I see them. He could still be a grand footballer if he chooses an MLS career but the ceiling for most MLS players, even the stand outs, is lower than what many gifted players would expect of themselves. And I think that's true of our Mr Edgar.

Don't think Hutch is complaining about his move to Denmark..

Lets see. He can make way more money in Denmark, tax free money at that, and expect more ready exposure to the bigger UEFA leagues.

Or, he could move to MLS and get this thing the Americans like to call "a salary cap" or "domestic quotas" or "designated player" blah, blah, blah.

Players do not go from Europe to MLS to revitalize their careers, they go to MLS to finish them. Same thing cannot be said of a move to Scotland or Scandinavia or a great many other of UEFA's secondary leagues. Far from it.

Stay in Europe, David. For the love of Gawd if you have any serious ambitions left stay in Europe.

P.S. Don't mean that to sound overly harsh, just a statement of facts as I see them. He could still be a grand footballer if he chooses an MLS career but the ceiling for most MLS players, even the stand outs, is lower than what many gifted players would expect of themselves. And I think that's true of our Mr Edgar.

Again, like I've said, there's no perfect recipe with football leagues around the world. Players like Hainault, Jakovic and Johnson are prime example of guys who weren't getting enough minutes in Europe and come back to MLS with some success.

In the case of Johnson and maybe Jakovic, a move back to Europe could still happen IMO.

Of course, like jpg75 money is a big factor here, so I doubt we'll see Edgar in MLS anytime soon.

Again, like I've said, there's no perfect recipe with football leagues around the world. Players like Hainault, Jakovic and Johnson are prime example of guys who weren't getting enough minutes in Europe and come back to MLS with some success.

In the case of Johnson and maybe Jakovic, a move back to Europe could still happen IMO.

Of course, like jpg75 money is a big factor here, so I doubt we'll see Edgar in MLS anytime soon.

This is a critical part of the argument, I think. Many v's, myself included, would have presumed that Jakovic or Johnson were just going back to MLS for a short period of time to get established as starters before presumably returning to Europe, as both are decent players and have EU papers, etc. What if, though, they never go back to Europe and continue to play (some would say languish) in North America the rest of their careers? Are our best MNT lads best served playing regularly but against uneven MLS competition?

I ask because, despite my original presumption, I haven't seen a whisper of rumour that would bring Jakovic and Johnson and co back to Europe lately, and even young players who start in MLS (like Nana) may end up staying longer than we would like based on their value to MLS and the monopoly on contracts, etc.

What if, though, they never go back to Europe and continue to play (some would say languish) in North America the rest of their careers? Are our best MNT lads best served playing regularly but against uneven MLS competition?

MLS seems to be OK for many of the USA's domestically-based national team players. Playing in NA also allows a critical mass for a North American squad should the CSA choose to take advantage of this. I'd be happy to see more of our national team based in MLS. If they can move to a better situation (better salary while not being a bench-warmer) in Europe, they should do so.

The noteworthy thing about this discussion is that some people talk as if playing in MLS and never returning to Europe, and nolando touches on this a bit by asking if our national team is best served by career MLSers. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. It is better to play consistantly in MLS like Hainualt, Johnson and Jakovic, instead of playing sparingly for Sparta Prague, Herenveen, or Red Star Belgrade (although those names adimttidly look nicer on paper). These players would not have developed the way they did if they stayed in Europe. Edgar is proof, as he made the decision to rough it out in the UK. I can see Cheeta's point about Denmark and Edgar and the MLS ceiling, but I feel it is based on the hope that he can be a "grand footballer", and that hope is based on the fact that he played for Newcastle reserves. I do not mean to pick on you Cheeta I just feel that your viewpoint is interesting and probably shared by others on this board!

This is a critical part of the argument, I think. Many v's, myself included, would have presumed that Jakovic or Johnson were just going back to MLS for a short period of time to get established as starters before presumably returning to Europe, as both are decent players and have EU papers, etc. What if, though, they never go back to Europe and continue to play (some would say languish) in North America the rest of their careers? Are our best MNT lads best served playing regularly but against uneven MLS competition?

I ask because, despite my original presumption, I haven't seen a whisper of rumour that would bring Jakovic and Johnson and co back to Europe lately, and even young players who start in MLS (like Nana) may end up staying longer than we would like based on their value to MLS and the monopoly on contracts, etc.

TBH, I wouldn't mind if they stay in MLS. If our core of players plays in MLS, a decent league with CONCACAF like opposition, the better for us.

I think only the cream of our players should be in top leagues in Europe (ie: Atiba, Hoillett if he ever play for us). Having players in second leagues (unless they are really young like Straith and Jackson) doesn't really help us on a MNT perspective. It would be easier for us if, like the Central American countries, we could get most of our players together when we want because they are playing in the same region. Honduras qualified with 4-5 of their top players in Europe while the core of the team was playing in Honduras or Central America and I think we should do the same. Of course, I'm well aware that money is a big factor here....

I'm not sure it's crucial for us to have Johnson and Jakovic in Europe, but if they have a good opportunity they should go back.

FWIW:

Edgar looked sharp in training in Kiev, and we forget how much of a physically imposing guy he is. He's 6'4'', but he's also solid as hell and his time in the reserves/championship world of English football has definitely taught him how to throw his weight around.

I think the decision to start Straith over Edgar might have also been a political one. Hart was keen to get Edgar back in the team, but at the same time he wanted to show that you can't turn down a call up and just turn up when you bloody well please. And I think we can all agree that Jakovic starts over just about anybody at CB for us these days.

I think the decision to start Straith over Edgar might have also been a political one. Hart was keen to get Edgar back in the team, but at the same time he wanted to show that you can't turn down a call up and just turn up when you bloody well please.

And I think we can all agree that Jakovic starts over just about anybody at CB for us these days.

I agree with the first part, it was probably about rewarding one player for his loyalty as much as punishing an other.

Not sure anyone should automatically start over anybody else at CB, i'd be happy to see a battle for the CB spots. Jakovic looked good in 2009, but in 2010 he was inconsistent so he shouldn't get to start just because he's the incumbant.

TBH, I wouldn't mind if they stay in MLS. If our core of players plays in MLS, a decent league with CONCACAF like opposition, the better for us.

I think only the cream of our players should be in top leagues in Europe (ie: Atiba, Hoillett if he ever play for us). Having players in second leagues (unless they are really young like Straith and Jackson) doesn't really help us on a MNT perspective. It would be easier for us if, like the Central American countries, we could get most of our players together when we want because they are playing in the same region. Honduras qualified with 4-5 of their top players in Europe while the core of the team was playing in Honduras or Central America and I think we should do the same. Of course, I'm well aware that money is a big factor here....

I'm not sure it's crucial for us to have Johnson and Jakovic in Europe, but if they have a good opportunity they should go back.

Some great points, loyola.

Archived