Whitecaps FC New Jersey

Razcle

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There aren't many that look better in any item of clothing than Kara Lang, so Marty was fighting a losing battle from the start. That being said, I much prefer the blue one, but will try to swing both once they become available (handy that they happen to come on the market just before Christmas, methinks).

2010FCDallasjersey.jpg

For anyone who thinks the home kit is in any way an original design see the FC Dallas kit. Minus the red bars, we have a cookie cutter once again. Adidas, lazier than a hobo.

I may be drunk and tired from staying up two consecutive nights watching the World Cup, but I don't see anything but passing resemblance (3 stripes and Adidas logo) between the two strips.

I may be drunk and tired from staying up two consecutive nights watching the World Cup, but I don't see anything but passing resemblance (3 stripes and Adidas logo) between the two strips.

Bars across the chest.

But the Caps are thin lines that are overall more round/less conical in design than the FCD.

Soju=

grasping-hand.jpg

We've all seen shirts of the great clubs of the world. They almost always correctly represent the club, its colours, the tradition. Okay, sometimes you get odd variations, like in an away jersey, or for playing UEFA, for a final even, for the centennial of a club. But the shirt stays within basic parameters regardless of who is the president or owner, regardless of whether the club is winning or losing, even if it is relegated and is playing 2nd tier.

This is because the club and its representatives defend certain minimums, and insist that these be respected.

The Whitecaps did not do this here. They simply abdicated. They renounced their responsiblity and let Adidas as MLS official supplier do the job. And some suit went ahead and did it, and they said yes to it, when all they had to do was: insist beforehand on blue and white (even if the shorts had been blue on the white shirt we'd have saved it); send it back if it was not up to par.

Passive leadership on the part of the caps. Read non-leadership. I hate the damn white one with the little stripes, and won't buy one. I bet the away jersey will outsell the home by 5 to 1.

Since at least they kept the name we'll call it a pass, you can't win them all. And fortunately, when the front office listens to the fans, they'll change it. If they have any sense of what it means to keep some things intact in a club with the history of the Whitecaps.

As we stand the best MLS shirt of a Canadian team is Toronto's, in spite of a mediocre logo it is right and unarguable, and no TFC fan will ever feel out of place wearing one.

We've all seen shirts of the great clubs of the world. They almost always correctly represent the club, its colours, the tradition. Okay, sometimes you get odd variations, like in an away jersey, or for playing UEFA, for a final even, for the centennial of a club. But the shirt stays within basic parameters regardless of who is the president or owner, regardless of whether the club is winning or losing, even if it is relegated and is playing 2nd tier.

This is because the club and its representatives defend certain minimums, and insist that these be respected.

The Whitecaps did not do this here. They simply abdicated. They renounced their responsiblity and let Adidas as MLS official supplier do the job. And some suit went ahead and did it, and they said yes to it, when all they had to do was: insist beforehand on blue and white (even if the shorts had been blue on the white shirt we'd have saved it); send it back if it was not up to par.

Passive leadership on the part of the caps. Read non-leadership. I hate the damn white one with the little stripes, and won't buy one. I bet the away jersey will outsell the home by 5 to 1.

Since at least they kept the name we'll call it a pass, you can't win them all. And fortunately, when the front office listens to the fans, they'll change it. If they have any sense of what it means to keep some things intact in a club with the history of the Whitecaps.

As we stand the best MLS shirt of a Canadian team is Toronto's, in spite of a mediocre logo it is right and unarguable, and no TFC fan will ever feel out of place wearing one.

Unless you were somehow at the meetings between the 'Caps, Adidas, MLS, and the marketing people, I'd have to say that you making some HUGE assumptions there. It is possible that the 'Caps actually like the new badge and strip and don't feel anywhere near as strongly about sacrificing the elements from the current and past kits as you do. Judging from the overall reaction on this and other boards, from 'both 'Caps fans and others, the reception has been generally positive to both the badge and the kit. You seem to be raging at the dying of the light here and not many are standing beside you as you do so.

No, you are mistaken. The kit has absolutely nothing you would expect from anyone trying to make it link in to the tradition, nevermind even making sense with the logo (which is most certainly does not). It is a botch, I assure you, based on the Caps plain letting them do it and not having their say. It goes like this: you are in MLS now and Adidas does the shirts, so we'll cede everything to them. They know better, and this is their sponsorship deal. So you get a shirt designed by a suit, which is what it is, it has absolutely no passion and no connection to the Caps and whoever put it together could not care less.

Just look at it, if you are a Caps fan you know it's wrong and you have to wonder how we got there. It is not saleable, it is not likeable, it is not good. The striping is shameless on Adidas' part, it is so blatant. The whole things smells of could not give a flying fck from collar to cuffs to hem and back again.

The Dark Blue Man U jersey I have in my closet with the Light blue horizontal stripes and Sharp Digital written across the chest would run contrary to your opinion...unless you don't consider Man U great club?

Trialist:

To suggest that the Whitecaps "abdicated" is an absolute crock. I've spoken with staff that were *personally* involved in the jersey selection process, right down to the point in time when Kerfoot, Barber, Lenarduzzi and many other key players at the FO gathered to see each and every piece of the Adidas test wardrobe that was shipped to Vancouver. Nash, Mallet and Luzco were also consulted at every step, and a consensus was reached after every conceivable configuration was given due consideration.... and by "due consideration" I mean "staff actually tried the stuff on so the decision makers could see what every single jersey and shorts combo looked like."

If you aren't keen on the design, that's the opinion you are entitled to, and it most certainly places you in the minority.

Don't you find it funny that so many supporters in other MLS markets are declaring these unis the BEST in the league, hands down? That really says something.

This club has done an outstanding job of preserving club history since Kerfoot took over. To suggest otherwise makes you look rather foolish.

Yup, a blue house with a white picket fence.

To suggest that the Whitecaps "abdicated" is an absolute crock. I've spoken with staff that were *personally* involved in the jersey selection process, right down to the point in time when Kerfoot, Barber, Lenarduzzi and many other key players at the FO gathered to see each and every piece of the Adidas test wardrobe that was shipped to Vancouver. Nash, Mallet and Luzco were also consulted at every step, and a consensus was reached after every conceivable configuration was given due consideration.... and by "due consideration" I mean "staff actually tried the stuff on so the decision makers could see what every single jersey and shorts combo looked like."

That's great to hear confirmed. Based on the end result I was convinced it had to be design by committee. It just screamed it.

Some people expect tradition and legacy from the soccer club they support. Some people just care about the price of a beer. Some people take design seriously. Some people couldn't care less if they come out in colourless unitards. To each his own. Thankfully or regrettably - it will all change too soon for everyone's pocketbooks anyway.

Look, the kit is great. It's just missing the horizontal bar. Would still have been great with it. "Whitecaps" Blue....meh. The crest does leave a lot to be desired as it doesn't reflect the ocean aspect of Whitecaps, but over the long term they are right it'll stand-up.

Trialist:

If you aren't keen on the design, that's the opinion you are entitled to, and it most certainly places you in the minority.

Don't you find it funny that so many supporters in other MLS markets are declaring these unis the BEST in the league, hands down? That really says something.

This club has done an outstanding job of preserving club history since Kerfoot took over. To suggest otherwise makes you look rather foolish.

The club has obviously not done a great job in preserving club history since Kerfoot took over because in the first major move to come along in the Kerfoot era they have chucked it out the window. The logo throws out the principal meaning of the name of the club (caps on the water), and the shirt throws out the basic colour scheme. They actually do not even coincide, colours in the logo do not appear on the shirt and vice versa, the type of graphic arrangement is totally different. For me it is shameful and your cronyism and self interest is not going to make me think otherwise.

You are being totally infantile in your hagiographic adoration of these guys. What is then, bucking for free tix or a job? If you have been so in on things it is obviously because you are now an unofficial spokesperson, self-appointed?

What I find crock is how readily supposed fans will sell the whole thing down the river, betray the basics, just for free ice cream cone and a pat on the back.

Bucking for free tix? Are you freakin' kidding me?

You sir are arrogant, misinformed and absolutely out of touch with what is happening in Vancouver. Pull your head out of the Spanish sand for five minutes and I'll give you an education, senor.

I am the president of the Southsiders, Canada's oldest supporters group for domestic club football. Am I the self appointed spokesman? Not at all. I am the group's duly elected president and liaison to the Whitecaps front office. My role is to advocate for what the supporters want, not what the club wants, nor what I want.

In years past I have had major disagreements with the club, specifically with respect to security, its surgical dismantling of supporters atmosphere, and its mishandling of club history.

I have taken them to task in person, face to face, and worked hard to ensure they understood where I - and my fellow supporters - were coming from.

I am very proud to say that for the past four years the Southsiders have built an excellent relationship with the front office, and I doubt very much that there is any other MLS or D2 club in North America whose supporters have the ear of the powers that be like we do. It took a lot of work to get to that point though. Myself and a few others have volunteered countless hours of our time to hash out the supporter's beefs with the club and get them fixed one item at a time.

You may dislike the recent steps taken by the club, but calling me names doesn't change the fact that most people disagree with your position.

The Southsiders, many of whom have been supporting the club since the NASL, are among those who are most rabid in their defense of club tradition and history. In spite of your protests, which you are perfectly welcome ot express, the membership is vastly in favour of the new kits, the new logo and the return to traditional colours.

If any group of fans would be up in arms over a snub against club history, it's us.... but your Chicken Little "sky is falling" response is completely contrary to what the vast majority of our membership is telling me.

I'd also like to correct you on another point about the origin of the Whitecaps name. It was conceived by Denny Veitch, and it is derived from his observations of the water AND the mountains. It just happened that the mountains never made it into the logo (although it is the very reason that one of the Caps youth clubs is called Mountain FC).

As for chucking out history, that started with David Stadnyk in 2000. His crappy logo was an abomination of the early 2000s "wild n' funky" era sports logos which were devised to sell merchandise to little kids. The colour "sea foam green" was thrust into the kit without rhyme, reason or historical context simply because the San Jose Sharks and Vancouver Grizzlies proved that kids liked teal a lot.

Stadnyk stuck our club with a ****ty, minor league crest for the express purpose of kiddie merchandising. The irony is, he hardly stuck around long enough to actually get merchandising deals in place to peddle his poison.

The way I see it, you have two options... you can pout online with your keyboard aggro, and insult your fellow supporters in the process.... or you can join the Southsiders, pay your dues, and write a formal complaint. Then I'll be perfectly happy to personally deliver it to Paul Barber as your elected liaison to the club.

Sadly though, I think ranting on a forum and launching stones from a distance is more your style. Good luck with that. I have bigger fish to fry like organizing a supporters trip to Portland than to waste any more time listening to your snivelling and misdirected insults.

http://www.mlsgear.com/shop-by-mls-team-vancouver-whitecaps.html

Looking forward to seeing you in that hoodie, Johnnie.

I hope we don't see the Southside in those scarves next year, otherwise we're gonna look like ski monitors.

When a club fails, you have to come out and say it, and not brown nose. Because they'll make the shirt better next year, as they have done over the years in MLS. But if you just act like suckholes to make the front office happy they won't. TFC fans have been loyal but vocal when necessary, because loyalty does not mean saying yes to a sell-out of tradition and historical meaning, it means telling the front office what they should know. Out of total loyalty, tell them that they screwed up. There is still 2012.

Wow, a Surrey joke. Bravo!

Christ, is Jay Leno's grandmother writing jokes for you now?

The Southside doesn't need to brown nose for a damn thing. We've paid our dues, built bridges, and we generally support what the club has been doing thus far. If there is a misstep, we'll be the first to steer them in the right direction. They've relied on us quite a bit during the transition to MLS on numerous club initiatives, and we've been more than happy to help out. That's the difference between folks like you and folks like me. If I don't like something, I'll work to bring change while you piss and moan about it.

The Southsiders aren't complaining about anything right now because we're pretty damn satisfied that the club is headed on a course that we, the true Vancouver faithful, will be proud of for years to come.

Sorry buddy, but you won't be putting any poop in our party any time soon. There's too much positive change happening right now to dampen our spirits. Don't want to join in? Suit yourself. Leave the business of supporting the club to the supporters. I look forward to seeing your efforts to mobilize fans across Spain in a mass protest against Logogate 2010.

Archived