Whitecaps FC New Jersey

Razcle

The club has obviously not done a great job in preserving club history since Kerfoot took over because in the first major move to come along in the Kerfoot era they have chucked it out the window. The logo throws out the principal meaning of the name of the club (caps on the water), and the shirt throws out the basic colour scheme. They actually do not even coincide, colours in the logo do not appear on the shirt and vice versa, the type of graphic arrangement is totally different. For me it is shameful and your cronyism and self interest is not going to make me think otherwise.

You are being totally infantile in your hagiographic adoration of these guys. What is then, bucking for free tix or a job? If you have been so in on things it is obviously because you are now an unofficial spokesperson, self-appointed?

What I find crock is how readily supposed fans will sell the whole thing down the river, betray the basics, just for free ice cream cone and a pat on the back.

Looking forward to seeing you in that hoodie, Johnnie. Wear that downtown and you'll get offered 40 bucks to do some guy from Surrey a favour.

When a club fails, you have to come out and say it, and not brown nose. But if you just act like suckholes to make the front office happy they won't.

Once upon a time there was a poster who despite being knowledgeable had a bad reputation for making insulting and offensive posts. Then the forum changed leagues and he took it upon himself to not preserve tradition and decided to wear new colours, ie. change his nick. For a while this new nick inspired some different behaviour but alas tradition won out and the old insulting poster returned. Welcome back Jeffrey S!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UT, you have got to respect other people's opinions... When guys from the NASL days say they are satisfied with the work the Whitecaps have done, then clearly the club hasn't failed, just because it didn't meet your standards.

Once upon a time there was a poster who despite being knowledgeable had a bad reputation for making insulting and offensive posts. Then the forum changed leagues and he took it upon himself to not preserve tradition and decided to wear new colours, ie. change his nick. For a while this new nick inspired some different behaviour but alas tradition won out and the old insulting poster returned. Welcome back Jeffrey S!

I've been away for a decade. How did he go from being a nice guy constructive poster to joe mean guy? Seriously. Head injury or something? Because back 10 or 12 years ago it wasn't like that.

First, I retire the comments about Johnnie, I'll go back and clean up my posts.

You need to do the same Johnnie. I criticized front office, you started in on me personally. I attacked the shirt and you chirped in on me. So get a life.

I still think you screwed up., you had a chance to tell them and you did not. Non leadership. And that you are being excessively defensive. If you were sure about what you are doing you would not give a damn about a single poster not liking the shirt. If you want to represent the Southsiders do so without trying to be the thought police.

Second, Grizzly should butt out, he is obviously laughing his head off over the mess we made. Cheers buddy, when the Impact are changed to the Rivière and are put in purple polkadots you can borrow some of my phrases to save time on the rant. BTW, everyone who wants knows who I am, it is somewhere in my profile info. So stop playing Sherlock.

For those citing history, I have been a Caps fan, going to games, since the mid 70s. I had season tix in the south-west corner of Empire, which was the noisiest section, the precursor to the Southside, in the late 70s. I know what we are about, better than those with no respect and no memory. So don't preach to me about who has the right to an opinion.

Adidas will end up changing the shirt back eventually, because they'll realize that is the best way to sell them, and then you can jump on that bandwagon too, ride back and forth, up and down, and claim you were always going in the same direction.

Going over the MLS uniforms, I have to admit they are pretty damn bad. I can understand that compared to them some might like Vancouver better.

The point is that none of those teams really links into a historical club, a club from the NASL days, except the Quakes. The Whitecaps do. If you were Brazilian you would not wear pink, if you were Argentina you would not wear a shirt with horizontal green and blue. Newcastle does not wear crimson and black. The weird shirts are for freaky moments, they happen, they are around, but then everything goes back to the original.

Throwing that out is like knocking down a beautiful heritage building in the name of progress. Is that it?

FYI, I like the logo...definitely don't like the white kit...I'm okay with the blue...and the fact that I work for one of the sponsor's major competitors guarantees that I will never wear either. But that's besides the point.

I think the response here is a little over the top on all fronts. You want tradition? The blue stripe on white has fine memories for a lot of people. But it's worth remembering that it's only been worn for 17 of the club's 34 seasons. From 1974-78, it was a red-white strip that changed every year. The 86ers wore gold and blue, and red, black & white in the final years. A lot of us who weren't around in the NASL days (myself included) have fine memories of that era. And it's safe to say that my favourite memories of the club is in it's current kit.

But things change and I'm not going to howl at the moon.

The real tradition of the club to me is based on two things:

1.) The desire to win everything.

2.) Advancing Canadian Soccer.

If the club ever abandoned one of these two traditions, I'd be the first barbarian at the gate. But as much as I'm sentimental about old victories and comfortable memories, I want this club to take back its real mantlepiece in the soccer world. No disrespect to Toronto or Montreal, but whenever the world thinks of Canadian soccer, I want it to think Whitecaps. (And to TFC and Impact supporters, that's a fair challenge to your clubs to take that from us.).

Wear whatever kit you want. Don't like the logo? Wear retro, or create your own kit. I'm wearing retro until they come out with a sponsorless shirt worth wearing. Eventually, the kit and logo will change, so that's no big deal to me.

But I want results. I want at least two rounds of playoffs in year one, and serious title contention every year after that. I want the Voyageurs Cup to wear layer upon layer of Whitecaps championships. I want the CONCACAF Champions League to be our birthright. I want hordes of Canadian players dreaming of playing in the Whitecaps Academy, and in ten years, populating every team in MLS and the big clubs in Europe.

Am I unreasonable? To me, these are the things every supporter, regardless of your club, has the right to be unreasonable about. Losing the kit? They can always bring that back. The desire to win is much harder, and more worthy of keeping.

First, I retire the comments about Johnnie, I'll go back and clean up my posts.

You need to do the same Johnnie. I criticized front office, you started in on me personally. I attacked the shirt and you chirped in on me. So get a life.

Utter and complete horsecrap. Quite the selective memory you have there.

Here's exactly what you said:

You are being totally infantile in your hagiographic adoration of these guys. What is then, bucking for free tix or a job? If you have been so in on things it is obviously because you are now an unofficial spokesperson, self-appointed?

Prior to this point I've said *nothing* to you that could at all be construed as anything but civil. I've only pointed out that your assumption about the "abdication" for responsibility of the jersey selection is factually incorrect.

You respond by suggesting I'm some sort of infantile mooch looking for free tickets, and willing to bend my principles in exchange for "free ice cream cone and a pat on the back." Then you suggest I've made a personal attack?

F--- you Jeffrey. F--- right off.

I have put more hours into improving supporters culture in this city than you'll ever have the time to count. I don't give a s--- about where you sat at Empire in the 1970s, because the experience clearly didn't make you a better supporter. All you are is a bitter, childish prat chipping stones from afar while there's real work being done by people who care enough about their club to organize, mobilize, and take action for the benefit of folks who wouldn't know where to start... and as much as it pains me to say it, my colleagues and I do what we do even for the benefit of jerks like you who do nothing but complain. We care that much.

So, brother, sticks and stones aside, I hope you have a wonderful time in Spain. Don't bother coming home. Vancouver's long since outgrown the likes of you.

PS: As a further aside... here you are tearing me down, besmirching everything I stand for... You do realize I'm the same guy who was generous enough to give you a ride downtown from the pub after watching Canada play last year? That's right, I took the time out of my day to give you, a total stranger, a lift from the pub to Broadway & Granville (or roundabouts) because to me it's all part of the cause. Well thanks for nothing, douche. Next time get a bus pass.

You are being excessively defensive, Johnnie, and I know perfectly well who you are.

I never said a thing about you personally or about any individual until you started in with your defense of the front office and their purity. You were the one who started getting virulent against me, went over the top, started acting like the thought police, when I was criticizing the decision-making process. You went beserk, like you are now. And you still haven't backed off.

I have also wiped out the worse of my insults and you are having a tantrum and still laying them on.

Look back on this thread and you'll see I have argued my point without a single personal insult until the Southsider president stepped in with a manner that is not what I would call conciliatory. I have ranted yes, that is what is fun about this board. If this is your style, policing for Kerfoot, you are not going to last. For me you have discredited yourself.

As for doing favours, I remember the ride and thank you for it. I remember exactly where we went, what we spoke about, where you left me, your car. You are a good guy, I'd say a pretty nice guy in person, but you are way out of line on this. You won't last too long if you think you have to police every individual who does not see eye to eye with Kerfoot.

And while we are talking about favours (you told me it was on your way, by the way, all eleven blocks from MacDonald to Granville) I remember giving free tix to people at tailgates and never getting so much a thanks or a beer for that, just because the person I was supposed to come with could not make it. Did it more than once. Have also donated tix to organizations in social services working with youth. That is the Southsider spirit, like admitting that a fan is allowed to say the shirt is not up to par and rant a little about it.

Oh, and nice dig at the 20,000 plus who followed the team at Empire, you are classy.

Anyway....

The kit, stand alone, is nice. In comparison to the importance of WFC history, it misses the mark. The away blue kit is sharp - though the colours are awfully similar to Montreals aren't they?

There are like a thousand teams with Blue and White colours...

Kansas, New England, Chivas, Dallas, LAG and San Jose all have blue and white kits... And now Vancouver and Montreal. it seems they are the most popular colours!

F--- you Jeffrey. F--- right off...All you are is a bitter, childish prat... jerks like you... Don't bother coming home...

Got a good laugh earlier today when you accused someone else of keyboard aggro - knew it was only a matter of time until you were back in character.

Funny what passes for "GREAT" these days: the blue kit sans Bell and patch:

langa.png

Whites aren't bad. Like the webbing on the front.

Oh well...who am I to get in the way of a ridiculous flame war that began over a shirt?

Shall we start a chant of "You F#*'d Up"? Oh wait that was taken already :)

Say what you want, say what you will, at least we're not Portland.

Sit back and douse the flames with cold brew. The picture doesn't do justice to the blue jersey (or Kara for that matter). The thread in the MLS section has a picture already. It has some interesting embosing and I like the new logo and blue jersey. The white? Well maybe it will grow on me like a west coast fungus. Just don't go for it.

Nice photo, first one I've seen that shows the good side of both of them. She looks a lot better but it still looks like a generic Adidas warehouse off-the-rack special that's right out of the catalogue. If there's personality or identity in that strip it's pretty subtle. And the socks... yi. Puma has done great work for the WPS in that department both years now, wouldn't surprise me to see others follow. The back of their '09 sock line was pretty close to the webbing on the front of the whites.

lang1.png

The real tradition of the club to me is based on two things:

1.) The desire to win everything.

2.) Advancing Canadian Soccer.

If the club ever abandoned one of these two traditions, I'd be the first barbarian at the gate. But as much as I'm sentimental about old victories and comfortable memories, I want this club to take back its real mantlepiece in the soccer world. No disrespect to Toronto or Montreal, but whenever the world thinks of Canadian soccer, I want it to think Whitecaps. (And to TFC and Impact supporters, that's a fair challenge to your clubs to take that from us.).

To start a comparatively tame supporters war, I know the caps have won the same amount of USL/A/USSF D-2 leagues as us, but I don't count those pitiful CSL wins, so it's fair to say Montreal is the King of Canadian Soccer.

:P

To start a comparatively tame supporters war, I know the caps have won the same amount of USL/A/USSF D-2 leagues as us, but I don't count those pitiful CSL wins, so it's fair to say Montreal is the King of Canadian Soccer.

Jethro Tull has a song for you :)

How about a real bet? Which canuck team will win the MLS first? Regular season top team and/or playoff champ?

Jethro Tull has a song for you :)

How about a real bet? Which canuck team will win the MLS first? Regular season top team and/or playoff champ?

If anyone's living in the past it's you "86ers".

I'll make a bet come 2012 but until then, who won our league's most recent cup? Montreal.

Over who again?

:)

If anyone's living in the past it's you "86ers".

I'll make a bet come 2012 but until then, who won our league's most recent cup? Montreal.

Over who again?

:)

Over the team that will be in MLS before you! Na na na na :) Enjoy Div2 ALONE in 2011. (Damn, where is that evil smiley?)

And too be fair we've both given Toronto a 4 / 5 year head start.

Oh well...better to have memories of championships past than intentional amnesia of losing years. :-)

One of the great things about championships is that you generally don't get there every year...that's what makes Vancouver's seven deserved stars so impressive. ;-) But please...take what you can while you can...use some former Whitecaps if it helps :-).

Archived