In MLS: Who will be Montreal's biggest rivals!

Trax

1. There are 2 obvious candidates:

Toronto FC: For the proximity of the city and the history of the Hockey Classico, Leaf v Habs. Not mentioning the French Canada vs Toronto factor!

Whitecaps : Since they got in MLS a year ahead but mostly because of the rivalry that has been brewing in USL for years now.

Now here is my guess on what will actually become the biggest rivalry, if the following plan goes forward:

In the New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/12/04/ny...der-study.html

Gazette:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...524/story.html

Red Bull: This matchup has huge potential since Montreal fans and New York fans have one thing in common they don't tolerate failure. Plus If that train project goes forward, it would be much simpler and cheaper to organize supporters trips down to New York. I would much rather go down to NY for a game then Toronto, it's just the hype of NY I guess.

But this also depends on how well Toronto does in the next few years, whether it becomes the dirt of the league or a more cohesive unit and actually competes then I could see my predictions going in Toronto's favor.

The other logical option is The revolution since there already exists the Boston, Habs rivalry and there is also a high speed rail project in the making to connect the two cities.

The next one is a simple wild guess, and is quite unlikely.

Assuming Montreal got a bigger stadium and matched Seattle's and Philies fan base and attendance, than things could go the other way, yet this is all speculation so ...

Toronto. No if ands or buts about it.

The biggest problem we are going to have is not having stadiums big enough for the traveling fans. This will unfortunately kill something unique and special in the Canadian sports scene before it even gets a chance to happen.

I can see NYRB becoming a pretty big rival for Montreal, Toronto is a given (I think TFC will do anything to get out of playing the Crew every opener), but a NY/MTL rivalry has some legs to it, especially if the train project goes through.

Vancouver won't be serious rivals of either Montreal or Toronto. Games between the squads will have some get up tot hem though and Canadian media attention, but teams situated so far from each other will have not a lot of hate between each other, unless the VC tourney start to get some real heat to them after Vancouver were basically cheated out of it last year, which really stung us as a whole towards more Montreal for letting it happen rather than TFC for bringing their 'A' game.

Caps fiercest rivarly will stay in the PNW in the form of the Cascadia Derby games between the Sounders and Timbers. Just for the fact that we will be able to attend games in large supporting groups to the away matches.

Toronto. No if ands or buts about it.

The biggest problem we are going to have is not having stadiums big enough for the traveling fans. This will unfortunately kill something unique and special in the Canadian sports scene before it even gets a chance to happen.

+1

I can't really see why NY would create a rivalry as fierce as the one with TO? There's just no way it would happen... some good matches,yes, and the opportunity to travel to see the Impact in NY will be interesting but nothing like MTL - TO. In fact I would see this rivalry as the biggest in MLS, I don't think there are any others with that much history (social history, sport history...)

I can't really see why NY would create a rivalry as fierce as the one with TO? There's just no way it would happen... some good matches,yes, and the opportunity to travel to see the Impact in NY will be interesting but nothing like MTL - TO. In fact I would see this rivalry as the biggest in MLS, I don't think there are any others with that much history (social history, sport history...)

I just wish there was space at BMO for thousands of Montreal fans. I don't think there will be as much space in Saputo when MLS rolls around as there is now. At least I hope there isn't.

That said, the traveling fans of both Montreal and Toronto if we could get the space in the respective stadiums would dwarf everything. It would be a phenomenon. Unfortunately the very success of the franchises themselves may keep it from happening to its fullest potential.

...If that train project goes forward, it would be much simpler and cheaper to organize supporters trips down to New York. I would much rather go down to NY for a game then Toronto, it's just the hype of NY I guess.

Theirs no question TFC will be their biggest rivals... TFC's been pretty bad on the field, but lets not forget NYRB was worst last season! Not to mention the V-Cup.

In terms of the hype of NYC... I graduated from a bilingual University in Toronto (Glendon College), a ton of folks from the Montreal area (mostly Francophones) went to school with me, including my girlfriend from Laval...

Our campus also had its annual New York trip, and pretty much all the Montrealer's I knew prefer Toronto over New York City.... While NYC and Toronto share many traits, like the uncomparable diversity and the arrogant Wall/Bay St mentality, I personally think NYC is overhyped.

I have family in Brooklyn so I visit often. I'm from out West and now live in Ottawa now, but I've never been that excited about going to New York, unless you are into over-priced Starbucks and $20 martini's... I definetely have more fun in my visits to TO than NYC.

Even now, you can easily take the train to BMO Field (to to mention the many other options such a Greyhound and Megabus with Wi-Fi). From Montreal, you can take the VIA Rail to the Toronto Union Station. A Tram connects Union directly to BMO Field... thats better accessibility than it would be to Penn Station (Jersey version)...

Theirs no question TFC will be their biggest rivals... TFC's been pretty bad on the field, but lets not forget NYRB was worst last season! Not to mention the V-Cup.

In terms of the hype of NYC... I graduated from a bilingual University in Toronto (Glendon College), a ton of folks from the Montreal area (mostly Francophones) went to school with me, including my girlfriend from Laval...

Our campus also had its annual New York trip, and pretty much all the Montrealer's I knew prefer Toronto over New York City.... While NYC and Toronto share many traits, like the uncomparable diversity and the arrogant Wall/Bay St mentality, I personally think NYC is overhyped.

I have family in Brooklyn so I visit often. I'm from out West and now live in Ottawa now, but I've never been that excited about going to New York, unless you are into over-priced Starbucks and $20 martini's... I definetely have more fun in my visits to TO than NYC.

Even now, you can easily take the train to BMO Field (to to mention the many other options such a Greyhound and Megabus with Wi-Fi). From Montreal, you can take the VIA Rail to the Toronto Union Station. A Tram connects Union directly to BMO Field... thats better accessibility than it would be to Penn Station (Jersey version)...

Don't get me wrong, I still think TFC v Montreal will be huge! I am just saying Games v North Eastern States have potencial to become juste as big, due to proximity and the fact it's the states.

Plus the fact that I am still bitter about June 21 2007. (btw I find it funny searching only: robbed and soccer in youtube still gives you this game)

The impact's main rival will definitely be toronto upon entering the league but i can definitely see them having a big rivalry with the NYRB; however, for something to develop with the red bulls, they would need an event to occur that will spark up the rivalry.

Vancouver won't be serious rivals of either Montreal or Toronto. Games between the squads will have some get up tot hem though and Canadian media attention, but teams situated so far from each other will have not a lot of hate between each other, unless the VC tourney start to get some real heat to them after Vancouver were basically cheated out of it last year, which really stung us as a whole towards more Montreal for letting it happen rather than TFC for bringing their 'A' game.

I dunno, at the final, seeing those southsiders, there was no hate.

THey really wished us well when they left.

Don't get me wrong, I still think TFC v Montreal will be huge! I am just saying Games v North Eastern States have potencial to become juste as big, due to proximity and the fact it's the states.

Plus the fact that I am still bitter about June 21 2007. (btw I find it funny searching only: robbed and soccer in youtube still gives you this game)

Well should there be a rivalry with every US team in MLS, just because it's the US? That bitterness should be directed towards international games...

Well should there be a rivalry with every US team in MLS, just because it's the US? That bitterness should be directed towards international games...

It'll be tough to develop a rivalry with the US based teams... the Columbus-TFC rivalry is largely manufactured. The only reason I even hate them is cause of the incident last year and the trigger happy cops... AT the end of the day, its not a team-to-team rivalry when EVERYBODY HATES the Kolumbus KKKrew.

Majority of fans of other N.East teams were on TFC's side on the whole incident cause everybody knows that Columbus fans are a buncha trailor trash hicks.

The V-Cup will ensure that the Canadian teams will always have some sort of rivalry, even with Vancouver. The Caps on the otherhand are in a unique situation, where the three North-West teams have had a historical rivalry. But unless Rochester enters MLS, I don't think you'll have much cross-border rivalries in the N.East.

Speaking of Rochester, what do folks think the odds are of them being the 20th team? Close enough to New York, already established, could they pull it off?

I think a rivalry aside from the proper and destined one with TFC will come out of nothing, an incident at a match that will see one side getting absolutely faking robbed. Seattle and Philly don't like each other now, which came directly out of that first game of this MLS season. Can't remember which incident it was that set that one off, but most Philly fans are salivating at the thought of the home match vs. Seattle later this season.

Speaking of Rochester, what do folks think the odds are of them being the 20th team? Close enough to New York, already established, could they pull it off?

I think a rivalry aside from the proper and destined one with TFC will come out of nothing, an incident at a match that will see one side getting absolutely faking robbed. Seattle and Philly don't like each other now, which came directly out of that first game of this MLS season. Can't remember which incident it was that set that one off, but most Philly fans are salivating at the thought of the home match vs. Seattle later this season.

Its too bad the Rochester-Toronto Fast Ferry project died. Coulda led to a Ferry Derby :)... however, I'm highly doubtful they'll get a team. I use to regularly visit Rochester cause a lotta my classmates at York were from Rochester... it has like 200 000 people? That's the size of a small Toronto suburb (ie: Markham, Richmond Hill, Vaughn, New Market, Pickering etc...)

They have a strong base, but with such a small market, I don't think it has much potential for growth. Even with Buffalo not too far, Buffalo is right in-between Rochester and Toronto, so the market in nearby Buffalo will be split.

It'll be Toronto, and others will develop organically (ie Rochester rivalry).

As for travelling fans, MLS should start thinking up a policy for minimum seat allotment (up to 30 days before gameday) for travelling fans, especially in limited capacity stadiums that are full, which will proabably become an issue. England has 3,000 or 10% of capacity, whichever is smallest. I could see MLS have something like 500, shrinking if ticket sales with 30 days to go are under a certain number.

I also think as we move forward and both sets of fans grow, we'll have to see if it's feasible to not have away sections (I personnaly like this aspect of soccer, and there's no away colours allowed in the East stand, but the rest of the stadium doesn't have such a policy). Will this become necessary?

^Rochester has 1m in the metro area though.

Yes, I realize that, I wonder how much of Rochesters greater Metropolitan area includes Buffalo's sphere of influence.

Eitherway, Ottawa has 1.4 million in its Greater Metropolitan area, and we're talking about a city thats literally immune from the recession and market fluctuation (all the Civil Servants with job security). Rochester was an economically hard hit city well before the Housing crisis and the recession. Their is no evidence that it will ever return to its glory days.

I don't see 20 000 fans with the ability to afford $30 plus tickets for soccer in Rochester. Its a small, economically depressed market, and the city is already served by the nearby Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres and University of Syrucuse Orange NCAA Basketball

Yes, I realize that, I wonder how much of Rochesters greater Metropolitan area includes Buffalo's sphere of influence.

Eitherway, Ottawa has 1.4 million in its Greater Metropolitan area, and we're talking about a city thats literally immune from the recession and market fluctuation (all the Civil Servants with job security). Rochester was an economically hard hit city well before the Housing crisis and the recession. Their is no evidence that it will ever return to its glory days.

I don't see 20 000 fans with the ability to afford $30 plus tickets for soccer in Rochester. Its a small, economically depressed market, and the city is already served by the nearby Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres and University of Syrucuse Orange NCAA Basketball

Forget about MLS for rod****ster, they have problems operating a NASL team.

^ LOL... That was my tought too ! But on the other hand, that's why we like to hate them so much. Actually, I take the Impact-Rhinos rivalry before the TFC-Crew one. This is due to almost 20 years of history I guess.

But yeah, still, I don't really want to see them in MLS like you. Too small of a market, no question there. And much more potential in many other cities. Oh, and cause Rochester is full of SH*T. Period.

But yeah, still, I don't really want to see them in MLS like you. Too small of a market, no question there. And much more potential in many other cities. Oh, and cause Rochester is full of SH*T. Period.

...sounds selfish, but I honestly don't want to see a team in Rochester, cause its not a desirerable place for travelling fans to go to...

With "respect" to Rochester. The Toronto-Rochester ferry project died, mostly cause the City of Rochester wanted more tourists from Toronto. The ferry did little to bring tourists to Rochester.

In fact the opposite effect occured. 10 000 people used the ferry daily, nearly all users were New Yorkers visiting Toronto. Very few Torontonians visited Rochester. For Rochester, thats $50 million they spent to fuel Toronto's tourism industry rather than Rochesters.

It demonstrates how sh*ty Rochester is when they needed to spent $50 million to get folks across the lake, and still failed!

Archived