Who is the goalie of future now?

http://sportsport.ba/bh_fudbalp-19424.htm

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=hr&u=http://sportsport.ba/bh_fudbalp-19424.htm&ei=duNWSq6KL4W0swOotpj0AQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://sportsport.ba/bh_fudbalp-19424.htm%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff (google translation)

with Begovic jumping ship to play for Bosnia.

are Wagenaar and Street now are only 2 legit starters.

Begovic is hard thing to lose as he was a 6'6'' goalie with loads of potenial at only 22 years old.

besides Street and Wagenaar who else is waiting for their chance to impress for Canada between the pipes.

with Sutton, Onstad, Hirschfeld and Stamatopulous aren't getting any younger.

I don't know if everyone is still at the same club but GK seems to be the deepest position in terms of prospects for Canadian soccer right now;

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19578

You even have to scroll down to find Kalthoff outside of the main list who is another good prospect. Begovic leaving sucks (if he actually is) and would make the guy look like a dildo after starring in the adidas Canadian goalie ad campaign but this isn't the end of the world.

quote:Originally posted by btash

Well right now i think the best two are hirschfeld and stamatopolous. Hirschfeld should be our number one...Onstad and Sutton should retire internationally.

Why should Sutton retire internationally? He is only 32. If he catches on with another MLS club, he still has several good years left in him. I don't know if you have noticed, but he is having a great tournament at the Gold Cup so far (except for that run outside the box at the end of the 1st half against El Salvador).

Unlike the many Onstad bashers on this board, I have nothing but praise for the man. He always answered the call when asked to play for his country and played to the best of his ability. I agree that he should no longer be called up as it is time to give the young guys some playing time

Miscewicz? I'm partial towards Street because he plays for West Ham. But he's got the Czech U21 keeper (Stech) ahead of him and we just signed another hungarian youth keeper.

It would be interesting to see where all of our young keepers end up by the time they're 22.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Why should Sutton retire internationally? He is only 32. If he catches on with another MLS club, he still has several good years left in him. I don't know if you have noticed, but he is having a great tournament at the Gold Cup so far (except for that run outside the box at the end of the 1st half against El Salvador).

Unlike the many Onstad bashers on this board, I have nothing but praise for the man. He always answered the call when asked to play for his country and played to the best of his ability. I agree that he should no longer be called up as it is time to give the young guys some playing time

Sutton versus CR, close shot on the keeper before the free kick goal... you could see in his eyes he was done, scared, nervous not ready. His confidence for whatever reason is broken.

He is done.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Sutton versus CR, close shot on the keeper before the free kick goal... you could see in his eyes he was done, scared, nervous not ready. His confidence for whatever reason is broken.

He is done.

I remember that shot as well and had the exact opposite impression. I thought he looked composed and like he had recovered from the previous screwup (as an experienced keeper should). Nobody was gonna stop that FK. I'm just glad he got that bad game out of his system when it didn't count. I think you'll see a good performance vs the Honduran Diving Team when he is back with defenders he had become familiar with.

If we soccer gurus see Sutton as having lost it, I am sure players see that as well. Defenders who can't trust their keeper not to make silly mistakes and hesitate in cutting crosses must affect their overall performance and their own responsibilities in the game. Sutton will not get any better in spite of Hart having a goalkeeper coach part of his staff. It does seem odd that a keeper of his experience would need three games to get in the groove. He still is not there yet.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Begovic really should be posed the question by a Canadian media source should he not?

Perhaps you should listen to Full-Time: Vancouver's Soccer Show on Sunday night, July 12th at 9pm PT for an exclusive interview with Asmir Begovic. More details at the following topic:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19860

Well Roberto Stillo at 1.90, and 83 kg. and starting keeper for Genoa CFC's reserve team, is training everyday with the first team, for the second year in a row. I like where he is at, and he continues to sharpen his skills. This is his fourth season in the Italian league, and as a 1991 keeper, will definately be in the running.It will take time to change the mindset of National team coaches as was evident this year. Atleast they finally recognized him and opened there eyes. He has a 3 wins, 1 draw 1 loss record for Canadas U 20, and did what ever the caoches wanted him to do. Welcome to the world of politics and life. He continues to work hard act professionally, and hopes to one day reach the Seria A world stage. He is still eligible for the next U 20 and olympic games and has always expressed the desire to represent his country when interviewed. After 3 camps, pretty good record, and still being passed over for someone else, still has the desire for the maple leaf. He will persevere. Will our coaches who failed to Identify him in there own backyard, give him the starts? Pride can blind a country and hurts all our youth, and there are many before and many to come like Roberto. I would know,I have lived through the ups and downs with him, but putting Canada on the map on the world stage is hard enough without getting crapped on by your own. We continue to try.............for the Maple Leaf we love!

Good to hear that Roberto is fully committed to Canada. What is the keeper situation like at Genoa Alex - I saw that they have 3 other keepers in Lamanna, Rubinho and Scarpi, Rubinho is about to leave and Scarpi is close to retirement - will Lamanna be the starting keeper?

So then at the moment it seems like:

1. Hirschfeld - 30 - 1979 - Energie Cottbus (Bundes 1)

2. Sutton - 32 - 1977 - Unsigned

3. Begovic - 22 - 1987 - Portsmouth (EPL)

4. Wagenaar - 24 - 1985 - Yeovil Town (League 1)

5. ?

?. Stillo - 18 - 1991 - Genoa (Reserves)

?. Street - 18 - 1991 - West Ham (EPL)

?. Stamatopoulos - 29 - 1980 - Lyn Oslo (Norway 1)

Who have I missed? Also, I'm not sure exactly where Wagenaar fits, as it becomes a question if he should be on the main list since Begovic wasn't available. Aside from Stama, we've got quite a bit of young blood to take over for Hirsch when he decides to step back. The possibility of Begovic seeing decent action in the Premiership is exciting.

So then at the moment it seems like:

1. Hirschfeld - 30 - 1979 - Energie Cottbus (Bundes 1)

2. Sutton - 32 - 1977 - Unsigned

3. Begovic - 22 - 1987 - Portsmouth (EPL)

4. Wagenaar - 24 - 1985 - Yeovil Town (League 1)

5. ?

?. Stillo - 18 - 1991 - Genoa (Reserves)

?. Street - 18 - 1991 - West Ham (EPL)

?. Stamatopoulos - 29 - 1980 - Lyn Oslo (Norway 1)

Who have I missed? Also, I'm not sure exactly where Wagenaar fits, as it becomes a question if he should be on the main list since Begovic wasn't available. Aside from Stama, we've got quite a bit of young blood to take over for Hirsch when he decides to step back. The possibility of Begovic seeing decent action in the Premiership is exciting.

Lamanna is on loan to C2 division, excellent keeper Genoa won National title this year for reserves.

Scarpi is the wiley veteren and will reamin to mentor the youth and is still a strong back up. Rubi wsa offered alot of money by athletico and Paris St gemaine and not sure where he is at. Roberto takes Lamannas spot as the starter and is backed by Italys u17 national team keeper.Thats the scoop!

i think Energie Cottbus was relegated to 2.Bundesliga after the last season. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

if all goes well in terms of their development, it seems as though we have some good young keepers on the way up.

Archived