Mexico 1 - 1 Panama

Stuart

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think Panama might have a decent case for having the result nullified. In fact, since it is hard to replay a match in a short tournament like this I think Panama should be awarded a victory. Due to an incident originating off the field with clear intent from the Mexican coaching staff, Panama was the team penalized on the field which is blatantly unfair.

But this is CONCACAF, so I would expect Ricardo Phillips to be suspended for at least 2 games. Mr. Phillips could've done more to get his testicles out of the way of Mr. Aguirre's foot.

I can't verify this since I'm not on twitter but according to a poster on bigsoccer Danny Dichio has been watching the tourney (makes sense) and comments:

@dannydichio "Mexico Vs Panama = SHAMBLES. If this was England's fans behaving this way, they would be chucked out of the tournament"

Although Aguirre was an embarrassement, I watched the entire match and I didn't notice that much stuff being thrown from the crowd. The ES V Costa Rica match looked far far worse in this regard. Costa Rican players were getting showered with beer and garbage every time they took a corner kick!

Of course I'm only watching on TV though.

I couldn't help feeling the unfairness of the incident. First thing that crossed my mind is the Panamanian coach needs to walk out on the field and slap one of the Mexican players and get one of them sent off with him. Of course that's a totally stupid thing to do, but...

From the Toronto Star article, this was after the Philipps-Aguirre incident and both of these guys got arrested:

2aaef95d411c8f450f5403be59a1.jpeg

That's a big Panamanian dude, and those guys like their boxing...

One of the linesmen was our man Hector. Seemed to be translating / peacekeeping in the scrums. That fellow from El Salvador was a sorry joke for a referee.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Check out the policeman in the background.

118865.jpg

He is laughting his a$$ off. Must be a naturalized mexican.

What happened with all the U.S. security in stadiums. They must have been told to stay off. Not ala Toronto police.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

he was going for the ball, missed it, and chose to leave his foot out so it made contact with the panamanian's nuts. pathetic.

Well, if his nuts hang down to withing 18 inches of the ground, I suppose that would have been possible.

C'mon. The foot was nowhere near high enough to do that.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

He is laughting his a$$ off. Must be a naturalized mexican.

What happened with all the U.S. security in stadiums. They must have been told to stay off. Not ala Toronto police.

I'm kind of wondering is the stretcher bearers dropped him. That's always good for a laugh as those of us at BMO will recall.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Well, if his nuts hang down to withing 18 inches of the ground, I suppose that would have been possible.

C'mon. The foot was nowhere near high enough to do that.

I don't know, check out the screen shot in this thread on bigsoccer.com

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088836&page=14

which strongly suggests it was that high.

EDIT - Beaten to it by jpg75. To get the full effect, hit pause at the 4:38 mark of this video to see how far away the coaches foot was to the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqSpFUiYas&feature=related

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

^The ball had gone out prior to that though.

That's what I thought at first too! Look more closely. The ball hadn't gone completely over the line. In fact if Aguirre didnt kick Phillips, the ball would never have gone over the line. But Phillips was so surprised from the kick that he lost control of the ball and only then did it go out-of-bounds.

This makes Aguirre's action 5 times worse IMO. Even had he not kicked Phillips and just taken the ball away, that's bad enough. I mean WTF????? Of course the fact that he went onto the filed of play to kick a player in the balls is beyond incredible. It's Mexican!

quote:Originally posted by Lurker

Was the ref wrong to give Phillips a red card?

I spoke to a couple of senior refs today about it and they both believe the red to Phillips was harsh. A yellow was more appropriate for pushing the coach

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I spoke to a couple of senior refs today about it and they both believe the red to Phillips was harsh. A yellow was more appropriate for pushing the coach

I would have applied Law 18, walk the player away from the situation and just had a talk with the player calming him down. Then I would walked back and sent off the coach.

Archived