Mexico 1 - 1 Panama

Stuart

So does this mean we're through to the next round?

According to the CSA's official site (even though they fluxed up the match-ups)it does:

Group C action resumes on Thursday with Mexico (three points) facing Nicaragua (no points) and Guadeloupe (three points) facing Panama (no points). If either Group C match ends in a draw, Canada will qualify for the quarter-final stage before playing its final match on Friday.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we're through. The third-place team in Group C can finish with no more than four points, and we have six. Therefore we cannot be worse than the second-best third-place team, and therefore we qualify.

That said, what a clustergreat that match was. Between the baseball diamond and the half-empty stadiums and the B teams and the rigged groups and the 23-man limit not applying to the Americans and the horrifying, horrifying officiating, CONCACAF should be embarrassed. That said, since the president is a thief and a fraudster being propped up by his buddy Sepp and the entire corrupt world football apparatus, nothing will happen as per usual.

maybe I'm crazy but I didn't think Aguirre was really trying to kick Phillips or trip him. That was a wierd situation.

Overall, horrible man management by the ref. so amateurish. I'm not sure I will be so quick to criticize MLS officials after watching that

Ya the officiating was fuel to the fire ... if they can't they distinguish fake from real, how do they reach this level? You mean there's worse refs in the system?!?! Or maybe he knows the right people.

Aguirre must be insane... wth was he doing?

Three (easy) maths (and other more complicated) qualified us for the next round after our win against Salvador :

- A team wins each of its 3 group games

- A group where no team loses all its 3 games

- A draw, in any game and any group

That happened, we are in, and the first one to qualify !

Congratulations Canada !

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

maybe I'm crazy but I didn't think Aguirre was really trying to kick Phillips or trip him. That was a wierd situation.

Not crazy, just blind. I don't know how anyone could interpret this incident any way other than the obvious way. Aguirre should receive at least a 5 match suspension. But hopefully he'll die in a fire instead.

quote:Originally posted by guppy

He might have been trying to collect the ball... because the Panama player was controlling it while it was out.. But even that looked bizarre.

uummmm... dude, exactly how small is your TV and how far away from it are you sitting?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Not crazy, just blind. I don't know how anyone could interpret this incident any way other than the obvious way. Aguirre should receive at least a 5 match suspension. But hopefully he'll die in a fire instead.

well, maybe so....it just looked like the most limp wristed attempt at kicking a player that I just cant fully accept that was his intent.

EDIT: having just watched the replay again, I'm probably wrong in my assessment. It looks worse each time I watch it.

I'll agree that, regardless of intent, it was ridiculously stupid to put yourself in that position and he deserves to be suspended for the rest of the tournament and I have no doubt he'll like be canned. Mexico has major issues.

BTW, dude, the "die in a fire" line makes me wonder if you are the crazy man.[:P]

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Nice of Mexico to swarm the ref for not adding on more time for ridiculous stoppages their classless coach and classless fans created.

could you imagine the media uproar if Canadian supporters threw trash at Archundia after the 2007 GC semi-final.

The mexican fans behavious won't likely even register even the slightest media mention.

BTW, how does CONCACAF cheap out and not provide canopies for its refs (although maybe that ref deserved to scurry through the firing line because he was just awful)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqy-F_JBEKQ

WTF? Why would the coach even think of doing something so stupid?

could you imagine the media uproar if Canadian supporters threw trash at Archundia after the 2007 GC semi-final.

The only Canadian fans within throwing distance were myself, SeanKeay and three others.

I gave serious thought to rushing Archundia on the field, but the 10 foot drop from the front row behind the net to the ground changed my mind pretty easily. :D

I think Panama might have a decent case for having the result nullified. In fact, since it is hard to replay a match in a short tournament like this I think Panama should be awarded a victory. Due to an incident originating off the field with clear intent from the Mexican coaching staff, Panama was the team penalized on the field which is blatantly unfair. It is one thing to be penalized for retaliating against something that occurs on the pitch but an entirely other thing for a player to be attacked off the pitch by a management member. While normally a tie with Mexico would be a good result for Panama in this case it is not although they should beat Nicaragua and sneak in to the next round as the 2nd best 3rd in their group team. Of course CONCACAF corruption and the money that good Mexican results bring to the tournament will stop CONCACAF from doing the right thing.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I gave serious thought to rushing Archundia on the field, but the 10 foot drop from the front row behind the net to the ground changed my mind pretty easily. :D

So, what you are saying is that travelling support needs to pack rope ladders on road trips just in case.

So, what you are saying is that travelling support needs to pack rope ladders on road trips just in case.

Yes. Well at least at Soldier Field and other NFL stadia where the stands start well up from the ground. ;)

best case scenario, best only possible legitimate reason for something so stupid, is that it was a serious brainfart. I can't think of any other way that could have been an accident, his body language after he did it seemed fogged like a serious brainfart but maybe he's just a wuss.

edit: by legitimate I meant his conscience (his ego not so much) is clean, ie the only possible way he's not a douche.

2nd edit: and by brainfart I pretty much mean like when you see a player punch a ball like he forgot what sport he was playing

Aguirre should be banned from the tournament:

Aguirre: I Did Not Have Good Conduct

Goal.com

Mexico and Panama tied 1-1 at the Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas. Both teams ended with less than 11 men, but it was Mexico who also ended up without manager Javier Aguirre.

In the 79th minute of the game, Aguirre was sent off after raising his foot as Ricardo Phillips went for a ball. The men collided and aggression ensued, causing the referee to show them both the red card.

While Phillips refused to leave, Aguirre headed back into the locker room, and at the post match conference offered his apologies.

“I would like to apologize in order of the Mexican fans, the Mexican team, the Mexican press, everyone involved with the Mexican national team, to the officials and workers because (Thursday) I didn’t have very good conduct,” said Aguirre.

The Mexican manager explained his loss of temper during the match.

“I didn’t have good conduct in those two or three minutes, that in my opinion, were brought on by a waste of time by part of the opponent that tried to defend a ball when the referee had called a throw in. The Panamanian player (Phillips) kept on playing outside the pitch. I wanted to stop the ball, there is contact with the player, inevitably because of the momentum that the player had. I lifted my foot too much and I regret that."

After Aguirre made contact with Phillips, the player seemed surprised by the action and pushed Aguirre. Assistant coach Manuel Vidrio pushed Phillips back and players from both teams swarmed on the sideline. Phillips and Aguirre were each sent off.

“I regret that," Aguirre said. "In the first pace I shouldn’t have gone out of my technical area and I was rightfully sanctioned by the referee. I can’t direct the Mexican team from the bench and leave them without a manager.”

Despite Aguirre’s claims of regret, Panama’s Gary Stempel accused the Mexican manager of trying to injure his player. However, Aguirre denied the claim.

“The only one who knows the intention of the play is me. The player had a lot of speed," Aguirre said, defending himself. "There was actually a Mexican player in the middle and I didn’t have time to move my foot. That’s how I see it, and there’s no one who can say what my intention was.”

Andrea Martinez, Goal.com

Archived