Canada drops to #92

rdroze

In the July FIFA rankings, Canada's MNT drops nine spots to land at #92 in the world rankings. Canada is now 11th (!) overall in CONCACAF:

World  CONCACAF  Country              Points   RkChg

12       1       USA                   983       +2

30       2       Costa Rica            789      +11

33       3       Mexico                777       -7

39       4       Honduras              753       -4

65       5       Jamaica               519      +11

69       6       Panama                478       -8

72       7       Trinidad and Tobago   461        0

85       8       Cuba                  383      +14

88       9       Grenada               379      +14

90      10       El Salvador           376      +10

92      11       Canada                360       -9

Generally I know not to trust these ratings too much, but seriously, 11th? Behind Grenada? We gotta start playing some weaker teams, to bump up this rating.

It's not clear whether the Guatemala friendly is included in these results, but most likely not. This page shows the result, but no points awarded for the win:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=can/ranking/gender=m/index.html

For comparison, ELO has us ranked at 61 in the world (also not including the Guatemala friendly), 6th in CONCACAF.

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

The Guatemala game was added to ELO and Canada is now ranked 60th on ELO.

Gee, that was quick.

I think one factor in the big drop is just time passing. Canada's (relatively) good performance in the 2007 Gold Cup is now no longer within the last two years, but is now three years old and thus weighted lower. We have precious few wins in the last two years.

quote:Originally posted by Philippe

How the hell can we drop to 92 when we won both our fixtures during june (cypria and guatemala)?

Unless the other teams played alot more than we did...

Our WCQ matches against St. Vincent are over a year old now. While we gained points from recent friendlies, we also lost points from past competitive games.

australia at 16 wow.

it makes no sense to me that a country's ranking can drop 40 spots in a single year when teams only play a handful of games...i could see if each country played 40 games a year, but how can there be such wild variation based on 5-10 matches...its illogical.

enbarassing to click the 'national league' link on the fifa site....who knew the Trois-Rivieres Attak were the top team in our national league.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Who cares about FIFA ranking seriously? Panama is ranked 69th and was knocked out in the 2nd round of CONCACAF qualifying.

A sold Gold Cup is all we need here just like last time around

I care when we do very well in the GC, and our federation chooses to use the rankings ahead of their OWN competition to determine the seeding rankings for WCQ.

They matter, regardless of how fcking stupid they are.

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

It's not clear whether the Guatemala friendly is included in these results, but most likely not. This page shows the result, but no points awarded for the win:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=can/ranking/gender=m/index.html

The rankings are released on the first wednesday of the month and the cutoff for results is the previous thursday. So Canada's result against Guatemala hasn't been counted yet.

Archived