Canada vs. USA - May 25, 2009 [R]

Vic

Just starting a thread for the follow-up.

Our first "A" grade opponent of the Morace era, which Wheeler calls Morace's litmus test:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/05/25/9557831-sun.html

We got pasted in an away friendly in RFK last April, but our last three competitive games against the Americans in the past year have all been tied at the end of regulation (CONCACAF, Peace Queen, Olympics).

We match up quite well with them and the players have a comfort level and confidence whenever we play them. Dream night, terrific entertainment and a great showcase for the women's game. Major thanks to Sportsnet and all media for their support.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got home in time to catch the last 15 minutes of the first half with Canada down a goal. When I first switched on, Canada looked a bit out of sorts, but as the half wore on, they seemed to be pulling themselves together, connecting passes, looking like a team instead of just desperate defending long-ball clearances all too familiar with those of us who watch our national teams (men and women) play. The mens' team seemed to be getting away from that until WCQ when they unfortunately went back to their old ways.

Anyway, towards the end of the half, I thought Canada looked pretty good, especially Robinson, and then whamo, a goal in the 45th minute by the Yanks. Typical. I'm not blaming the players, it's just what seems to happen to Canada all too often. They look as if they can pull off something very nice and then blow it at the end of the match or the end of the first half, and then fall apart from there.

Here's hoping they can turn the second half around.

I can't hear anything from the TFC supporters/Vs. All I can hear in the background is a bunch of elementary school girls doing that hockey-style "here we go Canada here we go" thing. Yuck.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Anyway, towards the end of the half, I thought Canada looked pretty good, especially Robinson, and then whamo, a goal in the 45th minute by the Yanks. Typical. I'm not blaming the players, it's just what seems to happen to Canada all too often. They look as if they can pull off something very nice and then blow it at the end of the match or the end of the first half, and then fall apart from there.

Here's hoping they can turn the second half around.

Unfortunately, I was right.

That was humiliating, but I guess if you are going to learn how to play a passing game after years upon years of hoof-ball and your first attempt at trying it out is against the US, the humiliation isn't totally surprising.

Now, if we see don't see any progress from this, that's another matter.

On the train back to Kingston right now (props for free VIA Internet) anyways despite the poor showing the girls did at least try and play a posession style game. Thanks to Dino as well for setting the whole thing up despite the result it was a fun night!

Might as well get the ball rolling. A rather sobering evening. I thought the Americans, to use the announcers phrase, "dominated" for a few reasons:

- they kept possession in the back

- exercised more intelligent decision-making

- used the short ball and players that were available

- switched the play away from numbers effectively

- had more talent going to net

Still believe we are capable of a much better performance. Just need the right players on the field, and a gargantuan amount of work from the coaching staff.

You have to feel for Morace tonight. It will be a difficult sleep.

Guest speedmonk42

We saw a Canadian Women's team try stuff we have not seen for a decade.

A decade.

This was a good thing. If they improve this, they will do damage to other teams it's there, just lying in wait.

I like the little gremlin #8, what was her name?

The U.S. didn't play against us, they played around us. We were never a threat and the early goal made things even easier for them. In a way, the lopsided score is a good thing as it will force Morace to do something more deep.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Might as well get the ball rolling. A rather sobering evening. I thought the Americans, to use the announcers phrase, "dominated" for a few reasons:

- they kept possession in the back

- exercised more intelligent decision-making

- used the short ball and players that were available

- switched the play away from numbers effectively

- had more talent going to net

Still believe we are capable of a much better performance. Just need the right players on the field, and a gargantuan amount of work from the coaching staff.

You have to feel for Morace tonight. It will be a difficult sleep.

That's a good analysis. The U.S. played much better than us and were more organised, plain and simple. Traces of the Even Pellerud team still show up here and there, and it will take time to iron out those kinks.

As for the atmosphere, I have no complaints. I didn't expect BMO to rock like it did for the Jamaica game, but we got some decent chants going in our section. I had a good time, regardless of the outcome. It was good seeing some old faces (AL-MO), and meeting some supporters for the first time (Squizz, leafdolfan).

Finally, cheers to Dino for organising our supporters section (112). If we could clone Dino a bunch of times and put a copy of him in each major Canadian city, we could ensure a vocal Canadian presence at every game!

If you took the train from Kingston, you are most definitely man-of-the-match.

The Americans rolled half their team out and went to the bench for 170 minutes of time, while we went for just 84 minutes. It would have been nice to get to see a bit more of the young players who are the future like Filigno, Julien, Zurrer, etc. Our limited shuffling was probably just an attempt to minimize the damage at home. But when they roll the film I imagine we'll see phase two of the transformation in the States in July.

Seems odd seeing Neil on the bench coaching the same group of players who played her onto the bench as a player. Anyone ever see anything like that before?

Guys you are way too anxious about the WP Seniors. Give them a year or 2 to develop as it's huge development change for them. Even then the players coming up are still in a development pathway that Carolina has yet to address. Remember the CSA isn't just messed up at the top but rotten to the core. The team will make the transtition but it will take time & lots of support through out the system we have.

Hats off to those that made the trip to supprt the team & looking at the opportunity for growth vs instant success. Just does't work that way.

#8 is Diana Matheson who's having a stellar season w/ Rhi w/ Team Strømmen in Norway.

The WNT may have been beaten up by a far superior USA team today but the Canadian women played a much better game than we have seen in years. They actually played the ball up the field several times with more than two completed passes in a row quite often. Give them time and they will only improve. This USA WNT has played so many games together as Craig Forest said, they are almost the equivalent of a regular professional club. That's got to make a huge difference when compared with the CSA's puny efforts.

We were thoroughly outclassed by a superior opponent tonight, end of story. I agree with The Ref, the two saving graces for Canada tonight were Robinson and Parker. Sinclair looked her usual quality self, but didn't accomplish much of anything, and Lang had a Ricketts-esque performance.

As for the environment, it was unsurprisingly full of kids and teenagers, but I did get the chance to meet a few Voyageurs, and actually, bouncing chants and cheers off of the kids was pretty entertaining. If those kids learned the massive, we might have something going here.

Kara Lang = not long for the national team unless she learns to play with the ball at her feet - quickly.

When they announced the games, I had the chance to ask Morace directly whether she thought that we would take a step back result wise as they learned to play differently. She was pretty blunt - Yes. And it didn't matter to her. It's about development now.

(Although, that said, she looked like she wanted to kill someone last night...competitive juices and all that).

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Kara Lang = not long for the national team unless she learns to play with the ball at her feet - quickly.

When they announced the games, I had the chance to ask Morace directly whether she thought that we would take a step back result wise as they learned to play differently. She was pretty blunt - Yes. And it didn't matter to her. It's about development now.

(Although, that said, she looked like she wanted to kill someone last night...competitive juices and all that).

For Morace, sinking in was the realization of just how far we have to go.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The WNT may have been beaten up by a far superior USA team today but the Canadian women played a much better game than we have seen in years. They actually played the ball up the field several times with more than two completed passes in a row quite often. Give them time and they will only improve. This USA WNT has played so many games together as Craig Forest said, they are almost the equivalent of a regular professional club. That's got to make a huge difference when compared with the CSA's puny efforts.

I agree with Speedmonk, Rich and Richard. Folks, it is only fair to keep in mind that this is a rebuilding program. Under Pellerud, all we had by the time he left was kick and run stagnation.

As has been said by others, the team is now more ambitious. We now have a coach that wants us to play with the ball on the ground in the way that all the best teams in the world do.

Things will get worse before they get better but they will get better.

Let's also remember that this match was supposed to be against Japan, a side comparable to ours in some respects. The USA as an opponant was a fill-in for Japan. I'm sure Morace didn't really want to start out against the US knowing what the probable result would be like.

there is little I can add to the analysis that has been done thus far.

I will say that I thought that for a GK who gave up 4 goals, Leblanc actually looked pretty good. She was very brave on a few 2nd half crosses from the right side, matching up with Wambach (who is absolutely huge).

She didn't get any help from her D on the 1st goal (that was a pathetic display of closing down an attacker),

the 2nd goal against was a thing of beauty that was not properly defended through the midfield but the strike itself was pure class

the 3rd goal was a case of a poor clearance job by the Defenders again (we had 5 or 6 people behind the ball and could not clear it)

Only he 4th goal could be somewhat blamed on her but that was just a nice header to the short corner that caught everyone by surprise.

The Americans are an excellent team. They can play however they need to play to be successful. If you take the middle of the park away, they will play it up the wings. If you have small players marking against them, they will go over the top. They have speed, size, technical ability and a solid tactical understanding of what their coach wants from them. They also have excellent goalkeeping (although Solo was not tested much, if at all).

The one bright spot is that Canada showed that the Pellerud era is out the window. The WNT attempted to play possession soccer, but they don't have the horses to do it yet.

Sinclair looked VERY fit, fitter than I've ever seen her and her speed impressed me the few times she decided to sprint to chase down a ball. Parker looked ok. I'd like to see her replace Lang out wide (I was shocked to see Kara in the lineup....I don't believe she is good enough to play this style of football and I was under the impression that the coaching staff was of the same opinion). Robinson worked very hard and belongs on this team in some manner. I like Chapman's game too. I can't remember if it was Matheson or Wilkinson that played like a bulldog last night, chasing everything down. Timko was good as well most of the time, cutting out passes and making good passes up field. the rest showed very little and the subs, including Tancredi, were not overly effective.

Its going to be a LONG uphill battle to remake this team in the Morace style but I'm confident that she'll put together a core of players that will adapt and find a few new players that will play roles and this team should be a top 8 team by the time the next World Cup comes.

Defending was poor in our end, leading to all 4 goals. The defenders were too slow to react and clear on too many occasions. particular I thought that Wilkinson in particular was out of her league in terms of skill AS A DEFENDER. The team looked a bit better offensively (Parker impressed) but there is a sharp contrast in skill level between the Americans and us, which didn't seem to exist 10 years ago. Thanks a lot Evan!!!

Also, I could a hear a distinctive groan from those in the audience with testes at minute 61.

I too was impressed with Parker and Robinson (and Sinclair's apparent dedication to fitness). Parker out wide sounds like a good plan. Lang's days out wide seem to be numbered. Way too slow. Perhaps a target forward position would be better for her?

Archived