Canada vs. USA - May 25, 2009 [R]

Vic

Pellerud caused irreparable damage to women soccer in Canada by overextending his welcome. It will take a while to turn around players who acted under his dictatorship and some players we will never see back again. His monetary dealings and behavior came under scrutiny. He also ruined Ian Bridges coaching career. I will not miss Pellerud and I am happy he is finally gone for good.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agreed with The Ref 100%. It is amazing that the U20 team play more control soccer than the senior team, and you have to give Ian Bridge the credit. Now Bridge is the coach for the U17 and Morace for the U20, it will be very exciting to see the continuity in style for at least a couple of generation to come.

The residency program shunted three experience players from the national team when we needed them most after the initial WC success. Ouf of these three, Latham should be given another chance. Chapman is a good fit for Nonen except I miss the later's long and floating lob from her free kick. Latham might belong to the old school of hard running and physical challenge, but she can be of use to strengthen the bench power at least for the time being. With no disrespect to Andrea Neill for her leadership in the team, I think she belongs to the old school. I would like to see how she can adapt and help out Morace with the new method.

^ I'm not trying to be critical of Bridge but how exactly do you give Bridge credit for the U20 style of play?

Bridge was a replacement coach for Bob Birarda after Birarda was removed from the job before the U20 World Cup.

In the opinion of most people I have spoken to, the U20's under Bridge played an inferior, less attractive and ultimately less effective style of football than they did under Birarda. This is not to say that Bridge is a poor coach but most observers of that U20 squad prefered the style of play under Birarda and thought that there were more skilled players involved in the squad under Birarda's direction.

Bridge appears to have the reputation of being a Pellerud disciple. I don't know if that is fair but I'd be surprised if he and Morace are on the same page from a tactical standpoint. It would not surprise me at all if there are players who become involved in the next U20 or even the senior team that did not fit Bridge's plans but who will fit Morace's.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ I'm not trying to be critical of Bridge but how exactly do you give Bridge credit for the U20 style of play?

Bridge was a replacement coach for Bob Birarda after Birarda was removed from the job before the U20 World Cup.

In the opinion of most people I have spoken to, the U20's under Bridge played an inferior, less attractive and ultimately less effective style of football than they did under Birarda. This is not to say that Bridge is a poor coach but most observers of that U20 squad prefered the style of play under Birarda and thought that there were more skilled players involved in the squad under Birarda's direction.

Bridge appears to have the reputation of being a Pellerud disciple. I don't know if that is fair but I'd be surprised if he and Morace are on the same page from a tactical standpoint. It would not surprise me at all if there are players who become involved in the next U20 or even the senior team that did not fit Bridge's plans but who will fit Morace's.

You seem to forget that it was Bridge who coached the successful u20 team in Edmonton. The team that started all of it and catapulted players like Lang, Sinclair, McCleod, and others I forget now. Now according to Bridge himself, during those Edmonton games Pellerud interfered a lot in his coaching. Pellerud also kept Bridge in the dark in some things.

^ You make Fair Points.

I think I was pretty even handed in my comments about Ian. He definitely had success with his U19/U20 team back in Edmonton several years ago but, in fairness, that was a BFK style squad (BFK = Big F--king Kick). It was a successful team, helped by some very high quality athletes but my recollection of that squad is that they did not play a style that reflects Morace's vision of how football should be played. That's why I have some doubts about how much Ian and Carolina would be on the same page.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Ian's efforts to do his job were impacted by Pellerud influence.

I wasn't on board during the days of Bob Birarda and I only started watching the U20 team in Edmonton. There were signs of the junior team playing the ball to the ground much more than the senior team. Mr. P did have a huge impact on the junior team especially after the WC success. The success has shadow all means of playing good soccer. It was basically an obsession.

quote:Originally posted by soccerforever

I wasn't on board during the days of Bob Birarda and I only started watching the U20 team in Edmonton.

Birarda was the U20 coach at the 2008 CONCACAF qualifying tournament.

He was fired right before the World Cup and Bridge stepped in.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

The Bohemian Rhapsody idea was borne out of the absurdity of what some clubs have as a club anthem. It was picked due to the difficulty, length and familiarity, nothing more. If the Hammers can have "Forever Blowing Bubbles"...

That's all. No real back story beyond that. Waiting for a real anthem to get behind.

I will attempt Slade's "Run Run Away" next time (and not the Great Big Sea version either).

Birarda was fired and rightly so That team was out of control and Birarda as Head Coach had lost control. What I do not understand is Bryan Rosenfeld came 7th in the World at the Inaugural U17 Wolrd Cup in New Zealand WITHOUT the benefit of the Kerfoot money. Why was he not retained as the U17 coach.Did he not have the best results of ANY of the teams? The U20 had a 4 month residency camp and the U17 were lucky to have 10 day camp. Is it because Ian Bridge is still under contract with the CSA. It is my understanding that when Ian Bridge was asked to step in as the U20 coach he had his contract extended for another year. Maybe he will now have a chance to do what he wants and not as he has been ordered to do.

Wish him luck. I hope that the Women's youth teams will have the same consistent playing style now regardless of age group, even if Morace cannot coach all teams.

It will be a little more difficult for the Canada U17's in 2010, as only the top 2 from CONCACEF will qualify for the 2010 WC. In 2008, it was the Top 3. So Canada need to come ahead of Mexico...

Ah yes, Costa Rica, thanks for that. Will not be easy....!

Not sure why it is the top-2 instead of 3, but that is what the latest press release of the CSA says... the one announcing Bridge as coach.

Actually, maybe it's cause the WC in in the CONCACAF region (T&T) and therefore T&T gets an automatic entry, which counts as 1 of the 3 CONCACAF posiitons?

Archived