It's Called Football - Live Nutrilite Preview Show

We're doing a live Nutrilite/Voyaguers Cup preview show today.

2 pm at www.thatchannel.com

In addition to breaking down the matchups, we'll be joined by Paul Beirne from Toronto FC, Bob Lenarduzzi from the Vancouver Whitecaps and John Luminatis from the Montreal Impact to offer their insight.

The chat will be open for you to ask anything of these three.

And if you missed the live show the archived one will be up tonight.

Cheers

Ben

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Leave the corporate sponsorship out if it. Call it the V Cup or the Canadian Championship!

Exactly right Daniel... Voyageurs Cup .. is preferable heck all they bought rights to was to put tee shirts on the kids walking the teams out to play .. its a pretty cheesy corporate sponsorship .. not sure who to blame CSA or the Vitamin folks.

It really out to be the Voyageur Cup .. presented by Coca Cola .. but I suspect the wankers at IMG, dont know how to put together a proper promotional package and sell it.

photostream

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Leave the corporate sponsorship out if it. Call it the V Cup or the Canadian Championship!

AND, for the second week in a row, learn to spell your headlines, FFS.

It's the Voyageurs Cup.

I think that we should respect the corporate sponsorship and call it the Nutrilite Canadian Championships. Corporate sponsorship is always a good thing and will certainly help the sport. With that said, we can't and shouldn't turn our backs to the proud history of the Voyageurs Cup.

In the NFL the players dream of playing for the Superbowl - but everyone knows the name of the trophy is the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

To be honest, until joining this board I had never heard of the Voyageurs Cup.

So that brings me to my point...

I like what the guy from the blog is saying, so what about pleasing both sides and calling it the Nutrilite Voyageurs Cup? It would be a win-win situation would it not?

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Seems easy enough to me. The Voyageurs Cup is awarded to the winners of the Canadian Championship.

Exactly. Keep the corporate sponsor for the offical channels (media). They're not paying ME to advertise.

This is a tough one, though, as I think we need the name of the trophy to become better known. People know what the FA Cup is (even though no one calls it the FA Challenge Cup like it really is), and I think we should make sure that people know that the NCC is played for the Voyageurs Cup. If it means that it has to become something like the Nutrilite Voyageurs Cup (however the sponsorship and naming rights would be negotiated), I'm in favour because it gets the name out there. This is the national club trophy! Is it too much to dream that one day kids who play soccer will know of the Voyageurs Cup that the pro teams play for?

What was the original intent of the Vs Cup? By that I mean, as much as it was a trophy for the best performing Canadian team, was any of its original purpose aimed at promoting the pro game in this country? I don't know a better way to ask that question, so that'll have to suffice.

As much as I've learned I'm still such a n00b [V]

Maybe its because I don't have a long history on this site, but I think the corporate sponsors should be given a bit of respect instead of intentionally omitting any mention of them. I think that any corporate entity willing to support soccer in Canada deserves to be included (or at least not intentionally excluded) from discussion on this site or anywhere else. Everyone points out that the business community in Canada could do more when it comes to supporting the game, so it seems a bit odd that when a company does step up to support an exciting homegrown tourney they get slammed for being vitamin hawkers and not sending every Canadian soccer fan a check in the mail.

Maybe I am way off base, but this seems to be an overly adversarial and critical approach against a company that (unlike many others) is actually getting involved. By all means, try to convince them to increase their support. Demand higher levels of funding as sponsorship of the tournament is worth more and more. But don't lobby to exclude them from all Voyageurs discussions.

Just my 2 cents.

quote:Originally posted by dyslexic nam

Maybe its because I don't have a long history on this site, but I think the corporate sponsors should be given a bit of respect instead of intentionally omitting any mention of them. I think that any corporate entity willing to support soccer in Canada deserves to be included (or at least not intentionally excluded) from discussion on this site or anywhere else. Everyone points out that the business community in Canada could do more when it comes to supporting the game, so it seems a bit odd that when a company does step up to support an exciting homegrown tourney they get slammed for being vitamin hawkers and not sending every Canadian soccer fan a check in the mail.

Maybe I am way off base, but this seems to be an overly adversarial and critical approach against a company that (unlike many others) is actually getting involved. By all means, try to convince them to increase their support. Demand higher levels of funding as sponsorship of the tournament is worth more and more. But don't lobby to exclude them from all Voyageurs discussions.

Just my 2 cents.

... and in that regard, why not the "Nutrilite Voyageurs Cup"????

I think Gerry Dobson handled it quite correctly last night, calling the competition 'the Canadian Nutrilite Championship' wherein teams vie for the 'Voyageurs Cup'.

Now, from a broadcast perspective that is fine. What I was thinking was more along the lines of branding. We want the Voyageurs Cup to be THE recognizable name of the competition, no? The main aim is to get the national championship to be recognized by the trophy that it is being played for. At least, that is what I want, because the trophy certainly pre-dates the sponsorship. The sponsorship is important, that is for sure, otherwise there wouldn't be a competition to be played in the first place, rendering the Vs Cup irrelevant. My suggestion would be something along the lines of the competition being known as "The Voyageurs Cup brought to you by Nutrilite" or "The Voyageurs Cup by Nutrilite", something that not only gives the competition a proper naming (a la FA Cup style) but also allows the main sponsor to be recognized as the moneybags that it is.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think Gerry Dobson handled it quite correctly last night, calling the competition 'the Canadian Nutrilite Championship' wherein teams vie for the 'Voyageurs Cup'.

That's the correct legal notation. The competition is called

"the Canadian Nutrilite Championship". The trophy is called

"the Voyageurs Cup".

Those are the legally-recognized names by the CSA, the clubs

involved (Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps, and l'Impact de

Montreal), the sponsor (Nutrilite/Quixtar), and its promoters.

Any official changes may have legal ramifications.

The name "Voyageurs Cup" provides official recognition of the

V's and its support of Canadian soccer. It also confirms that

we, and the previous clubs involved have a continuous history

regarding this competition.

To re-name it otherwise would be contrary to the history of the

Voyageurs Cup, and the supporters who helped establish the

competition. And now that it is official CONCACAF competition,

we (the Voyageurs) are also officially recognized.

Archived