Impact Guinea Pigs

Now that a modicum of objectivity is creeping abck into my shattered psyche [8D] I think it's important to recognize that whichever Canadian clubs represent their country in future CCL's need to realize that even a string of freindlies is NOT ENOUGH preparation to be in game shape against mid-season Southern rivals. The Impact clearly lost their legs in the second half, most of them could not even take running steps by the 75th minute mark, nor hoof the ball more than 20 yards down field 18 inches off the ground. What can Canadian clubs do in the future to stay in game shape for long CCL runs? Is there anything that can be done? An indoor domestic tournament? Initiate an anual winter series against some Southern clubs? It's a serious problem.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Now that a modicum of objectivity is creeping abck into my shattered psyche [8D] I think it's important to recognize that whichever Canadian clubs represent their country in future CCL's need to realize that even a string of freindlies is NOT ENOUGH preparation to be in game shape against mid-season Southern rivals. The Impact clearly lost their legs in the second half, most of them could not even take running steps by the 75th minute mark, nor hoof the ball more than 20 yards down field 18 inches off the ground. What can Canadian clubs do in the future to stay in game shape for long CCL runs? Is there anything that can be done? An indoor domestic tournament? Initiate an anual winter series against some Southern clubs? It's a serious problem.

"The Impact clearly lost their legs in the second half, most of them could not even take running steps by the 75th minute mark"

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

I was CERTAIN that they had enough preparation by going to Italy. But I was wrong I guess. For 45 minutes they were prepared. Beyond that no.

It is a matter of conditioning. Tactically they were strong. They had set plays it seemed at times. There was always an open man. (For the first half, and for Game 1).

Game 2, 2nd half was where they needed conditioning. I think rather than increasing friendlies with other clubs (Canadian, international), they should work on their condition. Imagine if they had added 30 days at 2 hours conditioning a day. That would have been huge and potentially left them with legs for the 2nd half of game 2.

^I alluded to this in another thread on this forum. I don't know what the solution is for future preparation because I'm guessing that if you start them in highly competitive matches any earlier you risk "burnout" in your squad later in their regular summer seasons, usually involving an injury toll. So I'd be curious to see what suggestions others may have.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

^I alluded to this in another thread on this forum. I don't know what the solution is for future preparation because I'm guessing that if you start them in highly competitive matches any earlier you risk "burnout" in your squad later in their regular summer seasons, usually involving an injury toll. So I'd be curious to see what suggestions others may have.

I'd rather they burn out in the USL, and win in the CCL.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

I'd rather they burn out in the USL, and win in the CCL.

Hey, all of us neutrals would love to see final victory in the CCL for a Canadian club. But if you're not playing well in the summer time for whatever reasons (key injuries, jaded form), you don't win the Amway Cup again and get to the CCL.

As I posted in another thread, I don't think the problem was physical, I think it was a lack of mentality as Santos looked very motivated, they believed they could score more goals and the Impact, feeling scared, all defense and midfield started to step in the GK zone.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I agree with you for the most part, but what about Puerto Rico?

For certain they're withstanding the workload better than the Impact did. Anyone know what they're offseason workouts consisted of?

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

As I posted in another thread, I don't think the problem was physical, I think it was a lack of mentality as Santos looked very motivated, they believed they could score more goals and the Impact, feeling scared, all defense and midfield started to step in the GK zone.

I don't disagree that the backfield totally panicked in the last 20 minutes, which those of us who see them often know, happens occaisionally. It's like they're so locked into their tight system that when things go awry they lose it. That said, it was plain to see they could even run or clear the ball upfield, which was the issue that made them panic in the first place.

True. Also, it's all well and good to play a string of games and have intenive workouts, but the muscle strengthening happens in the rest periods not during the workouts. So it's not really how much working out happens, as how much time you can allow for the rest periods. What I mean to say is, you can't work hard for three weeks and suddenly be game fit.

Perhaps, the Montreal Impact should loan themselves out to play in Milan from December to May!

Honestly, I agree that fitness was the problem. But, there is no easy solution; not indoor soccer, not a weekend tournament. For two pre-seasons now Montreal has begun in January to prepare for the season where there wont be a home league game until May. You are talking about a big step up for Montreal to reach the fitness levels of the uber-elite of American football.

Guest Jeffery S.

They were playing a second leg away in Mexico, what do you want? The problem was not physical, it was mental and tactical. And playing there, against that team. All Mexican quarter finalists went through, I mean Houston totally fell apart.

It is also fair to say that they were unlucky not to go through, in spite of being on their heels the whole 2nd half.

I think they should have held their training camp in Mexico, instead of Italy. Altitude and other environmental issues have always been a problem for Canadian teams playing in Mexico. A three week camp before the meeting with Santos would have been ideal. The only problem would be to find teams willing to play exibition matches, seeing that this would be helping the Impact.

I've watched the game a few times, and as much as I love DiLo as a player, I have to admit that he looked exposed playing LB, in the second half. I think he should be moved back to midfield, where he is free to roam the left Flank. Simon Gatti might be an option at LB, but If I were DeSantis I'd be looking at bringing more depth to the back line. They have yet to replace Vincello at this position.

Missing Pesoli also didn't help, he worked wonderfully with Pizzolitto at CB, Cedric Jocquivel was fantastic as well, but Pizzolitto seems to be more involved with his partner Pesoli at his side. Nevio had to be more vocal and involved in the last 15 mins of that Game. He's at his best when he plays with an edge, and I didn't see it on Thursday.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

I think they should have held their training camp in Mexico, instead of Italy. Altitude and other environmental issues have always been a problem for Canadian teams playing in Mexico. A three week camp before the meeting with Santos would have been ideal. The only problem would be to find teams willing to play exibition matches, seeing that this would be helping the Impact.

I've watched the game a few times, and as much as I love DiLo as a player, I have to admit that he looked exposed playing LB, in the second half. I think he should be moved back to midfield, where he is free to roam the left Flank. Simon Gatti might be an option at LB, but If I were DeSantis I'd be looking at bringing more depth to the back line. They have yet to replace Vincello at this position.

Missing Pesoli also didn't help, he worked wonderfully with Pizzolitto at CB, Cedric Jocquivel was fantastic as well, but Pizzolitto seems to be more involved with his partner Pesoli at his side. Nevio had to be more vocal and involved in the last 15 mins of that Game. He's at his best when he plays with an edge, and I didn't see it on Thursday.

All the backs lost their legs by the 70 minute mark. It wasn't just DiLo. Gatti was good at LB last season but really should be Grande's understudy. I agree we need a natural LB.

quote:Originally posted by turbo

One thing that maybe the impact and most people were not aware of is:

the elevation I don't know are many feet, but not to many team goes and win there and I don't think it was a lack of fitness.

But that WOULD be a lack of fitness... altitude simply requires stronger cardio due to slightly less oxygen.

the elevation I don't know are many feet, but not to many team goes and win there and I don't think it was a lack of fitness.

But that WOULD be a lack of fitness... altitude simply requires stronger cardio due to slightly less oxygen.

Hey, all of us neutrals would love to see final victory in the CCL for a Canadian club. But if you're not playing well in the summer time for whatever reasons (key injuries, jaded form), you don't win the Amway Cup again and get to the CCL.

Amway Cup?

Is that the new name for the VCup?

Torreon Mexico has an altitude??? I thought this was near Cancun?? Now I have never been but it would be a shame to have to asend such an altitude to get to the beach

From Wiki " Its (Torreon's) elevation is over 1,000 m (3,280 ft), which is low for the Mexican interior"

Hopefully Turbo is not a L'impact fan trying to make excuses for the epic failure. However looking at Montreal's Elevation, the highest point is 233m and I would hazard a guess that Saputo stadium is ~ 75-100m elevation creating a significant difference.

Maybe this turbo guy has a point. Thanks for the post.

Don't think 1,000 m altitude means much if anything. What's Edmonton? Got to be getting close to that. Interesting question though.

(Oh the power of Google. Calgary altitude 3,500 ft, Edmonton 2,100 ft, Winnipeg 761 ft, Toronto 347 ft, Vancouver airport 4 ft).

Humidity is a killer for us Nor'landers. How many times over the years have we seen the MNT wilt in the tropical heat/humidity? Not saying that was the case at Estadio Corona (quite the opposite). That was a simple lack of match fitness and a defensive marshaling force.

Archived