Whitecaps release Baldock, Kambere and Leslie

Richard

A lot of local guys losing their jobs up at Swangard. Wonder what we can expect in the way of replacements. Are many of the young guys going to graduate to the play permanently on the main team? Bobby L has already said they wouldn't likely be able to replace the "big three" released earlier (Kindel et al), not within the Canadian talent pool at least.

I heard Bjork was looking to buy an interest in the team.

As I mentioned elsewhere 2 of the 3 released were bound to go. Baldock I can't say much about based on play. he looked solid over his game and a half in the playoffs, but that doesn't say much.

Kambere had a horrible first year under Lilley. He showed improvement in 2008 in Teitur's system with his forward runs, so much so TFC took him on loan (demotion?). He was suspended mid-season along with Leslie for a few games. Rumor has it, for playing in an amateur tournament while under contract.

Leslie, after being showcased as the first player to make the senior team from the reserves (not residency) in 2006, has never lived up to the hype. In every game I watched him play he was a non-factor. In a few it almost seemed like the rest of the players were avoiding passing to him. I would be surprised if he played anywhere in USL 1. These guys need the PDL for further development, quickly.

quote:Originally posted by Grandstander

Leslie, after being showcased as the first player to make the senior team from the reserves (not residency) in 2006, has never lived up to the hype. In every game I watched him play he was a non-factor. In a few it almost seemed like the rest of the players were avoiding passing to him. I would be surprised if he played anywhere in USL 1. These guys need the PDL for further development, quickly.

Leslie played yesterday for Randy Samuel's team in Div 1 of the VMSL. ExCaps David Morris is also playing Div 1 while Jason Jordan is playing Premier in the VMSL.

quote:Originally posted by Grandstander

Funny, I thought the same thing when I watched Harmse play midfield for TFC this past year.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Release of these three is no surprise at all. Watch for a number of the residency players to make the first team in 2009.

this would be an excellent development. that's the point of investing in the academy...replace the not so good with the up and coming.

I think I heard that Randy Edwini-Bonsu would be joining the senior roster full time for 2009...does anyone know if that is the case?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

this would be an excellent development. that's the point of investing in the academy...replace the not so good with the up and coming.

I think I heard that Randy Edwini-Bonsu would be joining the senior roster full time for 2009...does anyone know if that is the case?

That is pretty much a lock he will be with the senior squad full time next year.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

I read that Randy is 5'5" and 140 pounds. Is that true? If so, we won't see him playing much with the senior Caps team

Randy might not be big but the kid is lightning fast. In chatting with a couple of his U20 campmates, they all marvelled at how blazing quick he is.

I'm sure that Randy has plenty of room for improvement but you cant teach speed and he seems to have a really good nose for goal so I'm hopeful the kid has a good future ahead of him.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

I read that Randy is 5'5" and 140 pounds. Is that true? If so, we won't see him playing much with the senior Caps team

So? This isn't pointy ball football we're talking here!

Pele = 5 ft 7.75 in (172 cm).

Maradona = 5 ft 5 in (165 cm).

Messi = 5 ft 6.5 in (169 cm).

Sergio Agüero = 5 ft 7.5 in (172 cm).

Carlos Tévez = 5 ft 6.5 in (169 cm).

Add to that the fact that he is 18 (1990.04.20) and he may still grow a bit. With speed like he has you don't put him jumping for headers in the box you do through balls to wear out the defense!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

So? This isn't pointy ball football we're talking here!

Pele = 5 ft 7.75 in (172 cm).

Maradona = 5 ft 5 in (165 cm).

Messi = 5 ft 6.5 in (169 cm).

Sergio Agüero = 5 ft 7.5 in (172 cm).

Carlos Tévez = 5 ft 6.5 in (169 cm).

Add to that the fact that he is 18 (1990.04.20) and he may still grow a bit. With speed like he has you don't put him jumping for headers in the box you do through balls to wear out the defense!

When Albert "Chapi" Ferrer was signed by Chelsea a few years ago the London press asked him how he could be a defender if he was so short. He replied that he played with his feet and used his head to think.

Ludovic Giuly is only 5 feet 4, and is a European champion. Add to that the fact that the winner of the last Eurocup was the 2nd shortest team in the tournament, the shortest, Turkey, did quite well also.

This is all to say that comments about the height of a player are pretty fckin stupid if they come from a football fan.

Of all the names listed above, the only 5'4" player is Guily, the rest are taller and bigger.

I still believe Randy will find it hard to play for the Caps because his lack of height and physical strength is a disadvantage in this league. The refs aren't as good here as they are in France where Guily started his pro career, therefore Randy will get pushed and fouled more.

I hope I get proven wrong. I would like to see Prospects program produce a star who the Caps either keep for when they are in the MLS or they sell him to a European team.

Height isn't as big an issue as strength and durability, in my view. The kid is probably going to fill out significantly more than the buck forty he is now, even at his height, so that will certainly help.

Durability is an odd thing. I have seen jockey-sized guys involved in some hard challenges on a regular basis (my youth coach, a little Bosnian guy, being an example) who were hard as nails. And then I have seen guys who were built like Greek gods yet were always hurt even after the most innocuous of plays. Go figure.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

When Albert "Chapi" Ferrer was signed by Chelsea a few years ago the London press asked him how he could be a defender if he was so short. He replied that he played with his feet and used his head to think.

Ludovic Giuly is only 5 feet 4, and is a European champion. Add to that the fact that the winner of the last Eurocup was the 2nd shortest team in the tournament, the shortest, Turkey, did quite well also.

This is all to say that comments about the height of a player are pretty fckin stupid if they come from a football fan.

No, they aren't stupid.

Being small often place you at a disadvantage when you play soccer. Of course, there are a lot of successful players who are 5'5, a lot more than in basketball. But in the end, you need to have a lot more than superskills if you are only 5'5. Like BearcatSA said, physical strenght and durability becomes very important for those smaller players if they want a succeed.

When you are 5'5 you don't have much room for weakness in your game and physical condition.

Of course, I'm glad we're having the chance to look at those Tevez and Messi because I,m still waiting to see our first 7'2 attacking midfielder ;)

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

No, they aren't stupid.

Being small often place you at a disadvantage when you play soccer. Of course, there are a lot of successful players who are 5'5, a lot more than in basketball. But in the end, you need to have a lot more than superskills if you are only 5'5. Like BearcatSA said, physical strenght and durability becomes very important for those smaller players if they want a succeed.

When you are 5'5 you don't have much room for weakness in your game and physical condition.

Of course, I'm glad we're having the chance to look at those Tevez and Messi because I,m still waiting to see our first 7'2 attacking midfielder ;)

I disagree, and the last 50 years of football prove the contrary.

Even though in almost all sports athletes are getting taller and heavier and more muscular, in soccer we are still seeing top talent that is short and that is not going to change. We even see top talent that is relatively short in goal still, and we see relatively short central defenders getting top results (Cannavaro in his prime, Ayala, there are many of course). This is in spite of all the physical changes going on all over the world.

If you want to argue that the averages for soccer are taller, I would agree, and more muscular, well that seems to be the case. But you can't argue that being short is a disadvantage because reality proves you wrong. And to the degree that North American teams play less and less long ball, kick and run style football, the more they train and play a possession game and emphasize footwork and speed and tactical discipline, the more you are going to reinforce the role of anyone with a low centre of gravity, close to the ball, with a delicate touch, who can handle that kind of play. So that you can even argue that world football is favouring the shorter set while at the same time finding a place for more and more attacking players that are skilled and exceptionally tall (from Koller to Crouch to Zigic.

The great thing about the game is that is a fantastic equalizer in terms of body types, no one is discriminated from the start, and short players can thrive, but not if they have no talent on the ball: is that Randy Edwini-Bonsu's case?

Archived