Interesting 'EXTRA TIME'

Guest Ed

No comments on last night's Extra Time on GOLTV?

Paul James had some nice things and some not so nice things to say about the Voyageurs. Watch it if you can.

Well there was a lot, and I am a bit busy, but here's a bit. IMHO, EXTRA TIME is by far the best Cdn content show on soccer we have. Soccer Central is fine for interviews, highlights, etc but they seem to be gagged on some issues.

Gave big props to V's for their efforts in increasing support.

Was very negative on the 'sack Mitchell' efforts coming out on the board. Also alluded to the V's begging to fire Holger back in the day. Stated that Yallop is doing just fine, but was vilified for managing Canada. Stated that the V's by and large wanted Simoes over Mitchell and look how Simoes did. Stated maybe it's not the coach at all, but the fact that we just don't have it to make it to the WC out of CONCACAF. Did state that Mitchell had made some mistakes in the 1st two games.

Made an issue out of one of the players (Hutch?) saying that we came out flat in the 2nd half against Honduras. Said that was a coaching problem as Honduras had been so close to getting a result in Mexico and were facing two losses in a row, you'd know they would be coming out to start the 2nd half on fire trying to score. Said it was unacceptable to come out flat in that situation.

Was disgusted with the Montreal support (or lack of) and said it shows how far we have to go as a soccer nation. No disrespect for the V's efforts but rather lamenting the fact that we cannot even outnumber the opponents' fans in WCQ at home.

Paul's not exactly objective as he was vilified around here as well for 2001 until he started taking up punditry. Such is life for the football manager. It's absolute bollocks for some funny talking ex-MNT man to tell us that we should accept a standard that no other nation would put up with. In no other nation would Dale Mitchell have been hired after his U20 performance. Look at what happened with Simoes. He's a real football manager in charge of a backward banana republic and is sacked after three matches! That's life in football Paul. Sorry, but I'm sick of this sense of entitlement amongst the current and former CSA bred coaches. Failure means resign or be sacked. It's that simple. In Jamaica, in Montenegro, in Nigeria, in Oman. But in Canada we should sit back and take it up the hoop. Thanks for that Paul. KUTGW!

Next week's show will have the Ottawa author who's in the news lately on the WC match fixing stuff - Declan somehing or other.

Back to this show, didn't mention any individual players really, other than saying Hume had a poor outing against Honduras. Also, a big miss in my opinion, didn't talk about Mitchell's player selection at all.

I like Paul but criticizing the Fire Dale campaign is wrong (but he's entitled to his opinion). Paul is a friend of Dale's and he's a coach so I wouldn't expect him to like the vocal campaining for the ouster of his colleague.

YNWA - you and I agree 100%... CSA coaches, by and large, simply don't have to face the consequences of their failures and that simply can't be acceptable if we will progress in this sport. The same applies to the CSA Board of Directors... They're the ones that put Dale in that position in the 1st place. Will Maestracci, Montagliani and Traficante be falling on the sword too (or are those prawn sandwiches just too darn tasty to walk away from)

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Paul's not exactly objective as he was vilified around here as well for 2001 until he started taking up punditry. Such is life for the football manager. It's absolute bollocks for some funny talking ex-MNT man to tell us that we should accept a standard that no other nation would put up with. In no other nation would Dale Mitchell have been hired after his U20 performance. Look at what happened with Simoes. He's a real football manager in charge of a backward banana republic and is sacked after three matches! That's life in football Paul. Sorry, but I'm sick of this sense of entitlement amongst the current and former CSA bred coaches. Failure means resign or be sacked. It's that simple. In Jamaica, in Montenegro, in Nigeria, in Oman. But in Canada we should sit back and take it up the hoop. Thanks for that Paul. KUTGW!

Not in France though! :D

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Not in France though! :D

PJ was Canada's U20 coach and DM was the assistant coach. PJ royally screwed U20 team in Argentina and threw childish tantrums in the dressing room, alienated and singled out players and DM you didn't hear a peep out of DM. Why would anyone think that PJ would criticize his buddy DM? BTW PJ is the WNT's palyer scout in Beijing. There goes the WNT.......lol

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I like Paul but criticizing the Fire Dale campaign is wrong (but he's entitled to his opinion). Paul is a friend of Dale's and he's a coach so I wouldn't expect him to like the vocal campaining for the ouster of his colleague.

YNWA - you and I agree 100%... CSA coaches, by and large, simply don't have to face the consequences of their failures and that simply can't be acceptable if we will progress in this sport. The same applies to the CSA Board of Directors... They're the ones that put Dale in that position in the 1st place. Will Maestracci, Montagliani and Traficante be falling on the sword too (or are those prawn sandwiches just too darn tasty to walk away from)

quote:Originally posted by Ed

EXTRA TIME is by far the best Cdn content show on soccer we have. Soccer Central is fine for interviews, highlights, etc

I'll second that. GolTV's Extra Time is the best. They devote a good amount of time to Canada.

I don't watch Soccercentral much because I'm usually watching live games, but I think they try to do too much by showing highlights from many leagues. They do sometimes have good interviews.

Fox Soccer Report is more focused on the American market, but they sneak some Canadian stuff in there.

I hope the reincarnated Footy Show will show Canadian soccer some love.

Well there you go, when the going gets tough half the media in this country don't have the balls to say anything about an obviously negative situation.

PJ has always had a "I'm a professional coach, you are jackass fans" attitude ever since i saw him on tv. I know some people on this board like him, but i have no respect for the guy at all. Results are what matters, Dale Mitchell has no results, he should be fired.

Anything less, is anti competitve ***** talk.

With all of the Paul James bashing in this thread I think some of you have missed the (quite valid IMO) point. Three coaches in a row have started off the last three semi-final groups with 0 wins, 2 losses and one tie. At some point we have to take a look at whether that's always solely the fault of the coach.

I'm not saying Mitchell should stay because for one thing I agree with James that the team coming out flat at the start of the second half against Honduras really cost us and a coach can help to prevent that, and a change might be good for the sake of change even if the players are primarily to blame. But that doesn't get around where the problem really lies, and who is actually on the pitch.

I get back to the view of their basically being three types of coaches, a motivator, a teacher and a strategist. I was of the opinion before that because this Canadian team was a veteran, experience team by and large in their prime they wouldn't and shouldn't need a motivator type coach, which Dale Mitchell is not. But after the players came out flat to start the 2nd half against Honduras and seeing some of them raise their arms in frustration against Mexico I think I was wrong about that, which is really disappointing.

PJ would never get any sympathy from me and I'm glad he's not getting it from you guys either. As a player he was ok (a hard working MF) as a coach, he is not different than what we've seen coming out of Canada and as a commentator/reporter/person, I will never trust or believe anything he says.

PJ, DM, the Duz, Nick, Yallop ...... and the list goes on, NEVER coach anywhere professionally other than Canada and we all know how professional the leagues in Canada are. Their international coaching experience goes as far as USA and that's like coaching here.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

With all of the Paul James bashing in this thread I think some of you have missed the (quite valid IMO) point. Three coaches in a row have started off the last three semi-final groups with 0 wins, 2 losses and one tie. At some point we have to take a look at whether that's always solely the fault of the coach.

Well...there has been one constant in all this. The coaches don't hire themselves and our players have continually changed (on the MNT) and improved on the world stage. IMO, that only leaves one thing left to dissect.

Is this episode being repeated ? I like PJ's honest frank opinion. It's a breath of fresh air.

And I think Canada not having the talent is pure rubbish. Jamaica was dominated and we literally handed them a loss of points. Honduras had two shots. They hardly dominated us. Mitchell made a number of errors in this match.

And let's face the facts. The officiating in both matches was atrocious and biased and against Canada. IMHO, there can be no doubt these ref's are on the take.

The smart move right now by the CSA would be to dismiss Mitchell and appoint Hart on an interim basis. Hart has got us results and has motivated the players in the past. He knows the players and we have nothing to lose at this point.

I have nothing personal against Mitchell. He may even be a good coach. We can only judge him on his results, and he choked in the U-20's and now WC Qualifying. We have nothing to lose by cutting him loose and seeing if Hart can get us some results while we still have a remote chance.

PJ was an advocate for the hiring of Dale Mitchell, so it would not come

as a surprise that a failed U20 coach would come to the defense of another

failed U20 coach.

Perhaps either coach would have been "good coaches" if they had more talented

teams, but facts are they could not get the results. Perhaps the best maneuver

would be to look OURSIDE our country for that expertise.

Why do Arican countries seem to get results from foriegn coaches Troussier and Metsu?

What was it about Guus Hiddink that would bring results for Australia that

Frank Farina couldn't?

I have no personal problems with Mitchell, Yallop, Colin Miller, or Paul James, and I

think they are capable coaches, but I do think there is a huge difference at the WC level.

We need to look at a different direction.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I get back to the view of their basically being three types of coaches, a motivator, a teacher and a strategist. I was of the opinion before that because this Canadian team was a veteran, experience team by and large in their prime they wouldn't and shouldn't need a motivator type coach, which Dale Mitchell is not. But after the players came out flat to start the 2nd half against Honduras and seeing some of them raise their arms in frustration against Mexico I think I was wrong about that, which is really disappointing.

^ G-L, I agree that there are 3 types of coaches: motivator, teacher and strategist/tactician.

DM is no motivator...

DM is an even worse tactician...

I sure as hell doubt he's much of a teacher (but on this one I could be wrong).

to me, it looks like he's 0-3.

The only answer then is "Fire Dale Mitchell"

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Well...there has been one constant in all this. The coaches don't hire themselves and our players have continually changed (on the MNT) and improved on the world stage. IMO, that only leaves one thing left to dissect.

While we are improving I think a lot of you guys forget the opposition is also improving, specially Honduras.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

While we are improving I think a lot of you guys forget the opposition is also improving, specially Honduras.

Actually, PJ made that same point in that show. The rest of CONCACAF has improved dramatically.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ G-L, I agree that there are 3 types of coaches: motivator, teacher and strategist/tactician.

DM is no motivator...

DM is an even worse tactician...

I sure as hell doubt he's much of a teacher (but on this one I could be wrong).

to me, it looks like he's 0-3.

The only answer then is "Fire Dale Mitchell"

At the national level, a coach should not be teaching players what to do.

Their jobs are:

1. study the next opponent (come up with a suitable tactic, game plan)

2. call up the players who are at the best present level in their clubs

3. don't re-invent football = play players in the positions were they play their best

4. you always have to motivate them (even if they're national team players)

5. motivate the fans by making public appearances and showing enthusiasm on TV interviews

This is just standard procedure for a MNT coach any where any country (but Canada of course)

Archived