Hakan Suker to TFC?

AlexCap

http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=20647

TORONTO, Hakan ªükür ready to sign

Turkish hero Hakan ªükür is close to a deal with Toronto from Major League Soccer (USA).

14.07.2008 12.12 by Berk Gün read 228

Source: http://haberturk.com

After his contract expired at Galatasaray, Hakan ªükür got offers from Dubai, Quatar and Turkey but he will sign a deal worth 4 Million $ with Toronto FC.

According to a national television, Toronto FC's executives came to Istanbul last week and offered Hakan ªükür a deal worth 4 Million $. As he told press before that he'll choose what ever is good for his children's education. Toronto would be the best offer he got.

There's no question he'll be the best player to ever play for Toronto...probably by far. BUT. He is nearly 37 in a team with more than a couple veterans. Is capturing fading superstars really what Toronto needs? Also if the $4m is just for one year that is absolutely insane. There is no way a 36/7 yr old (no matter what their past achievements) is worth $4m to play in MLS.

Oh well maybe we can sign Robbie Fowler if it doesn't work out with Rovers.

quote:Originally posted by Most Scottish Man in Cdn.

There's no question he'll be the best player to ever play for Toronto...probably by far. BUT. He is nearly 37 in a team with more than a couple veterans. Is capturing fading superstars really what Toronto needs? Also if the $4m is just for one year that is absolutely insane. There is no way a 36/7 yr old (no matter what their past achievements) is worth $4m to play in MLS.

Oh well maybe we can sign Robbie Fowler if it doesn't work out with Rovers.

The recently retired Teddy Sheringham played as a striker until ~42-43, and in the EPL at 41 (up to 40 as a EPL regular). That is obviously exceptional, but the fact is that certain players can play forever. If you are gifted, avoid getting too many injuries, and play a style that ages well (Sherringham was never fast, so losing a step to old age meant nothing to a guy who always scored without speed - Beckham will still be good at corners and FKs at 40 even if a defensive liability) then age is irrelevant. Suker scored 14 last year in a better league. That is proof enough for me. A one year deal is hardly a risk.

BTW, I am not sure if Robbie Fowler has signed with Blackburn yet or is still on trial, but I wouldn't mind if TFC made an inquiry or two. He may no longer be God, but he has more money than God so that wouldn't be an issue and for a team that can never finish he would be awesome. I know: lots of injuries + Fieldturf = no chance, but I think the last surgery finally fixed his hip, so if Mo has a really big pair than this would rank at the top of the high-risk/high-reward equation as a healthy Fowler might still be capable of a goal-per-game average in MLS where the defending sucks and NYRB's Angel is considered extremely dangerous. He can't run like Cunningham, but MLS has never seen a more accurate "never-miss" poacher. A fun gamble.

I was just kidding about Fowler but he'd still be miles better than Cunningham it's true and even at the end of his career I imagine he would still do all right at Toronto. The big thing this does though is highlight the difference in quality between MLS and European leagues (and I realise no one is saying MLS is worthy of its name...yet anyway.)

When TFC's best striker is a 30something Championship player who has had a number of injury problems since he got here, not naming any names, what does that say about the level of play? League One level? League Two? It's an interesting question.

As I said Sukur was/is a fantastic player who has achieved more than the rest of the Toronto squad combined frankly. But if it is true that he will get $4m for a one off year long deal I just think that's nuts. No 36/7 year old is worth that, especially not to play in MLS. And when you consider that it would only be for a few months I don't see the sense in that at all. BMO already sells out and the Turkish community in southern Ontario isn't so large and untapped that there could a marketing motive for this. Wouldn't that - theoretical at this point - $4m be better spent on several quality younger players? Even if only one of them "made it" at least you'd have something post 2009. This is not a smart move.

That's not taking anything away from him in terms of ability but one star, fading or otherwise, is not going to solve any of Toronto's problems (hello Man City). I do agree with you about some class never diminishing, at least to a point, but Sheringham was very much the exception to the rule. Also I'm a West Ham supporter and I saw a lot of those games he played in on TV and he did pick up the odd goal here or there but once we moved back up from the Championship to the Premier League he wasn't nearly as effective. Plus he was - much as I hate to admit it - in a team of mediocre players who wouldn't have been able to touch him in his prime. Just because Sukur is a better player than Edu does that prove anything? I mean if they win because of this great that's all that matters but I just think they should be building a talented young team that plays well together as opposed to bringing the circus to town for a few months (or weeks in the case of Robert...that novelty sure wore off didn't it?)

I'm divided on the issue of Sukur. He obviously has the pedigree and the ability to light the MLS up with goals and can fit well into the system already being used by TFC. Sukur can also cure TFC of the "goal-scoring machine" Cunningham, but is $4M worth it for someone who's about to turn 37?

I know they have a baby-face prospect in Ibrahim, but maybe they should seek out more young attacking options (preferably Canadian, but that's an issue for another thread)that could stay with the club for longer than a year.

Also, has this deal become official or is it still one of Mo's infamous "in the works" type of deals? I haven't seen anything confirming that it is official, but I may be wrong.

Long time listener, first time caller...

Re: Sukur, the guy can still put the ball in the net. While I would be leery of filling the team only with aged veterans, I don't think people should crucify would-be signings solely on the basis of age. The example of Sherringham noted above is a perfect illustration - a smart striker will always be a smart striker. And to be honest, with TFC's consistent lack of goal scoring ability, I am ready to try anything.

And is it just me or is there a lot of pants-pissing discussed in this thread?

Cheers from PEI

As a fan...strictly as a fan, I can't wait to see Sukur play for TFC,....in his prime and maybe even now, he's a level above the best stikers the MLS has ever had. From a business point of view, it might not be so straight forward cuz 4M$ can buy a lot of good young strikers but as a fan, success is what I want to see this year and if TFC can fork out 4M$, then they can probably afford it, they're not stupid, after all it is a business... i know i'll be tuning in for sure to watch all the games if Sukur plays.... get rid of Cunningham, Robert too (if he does not put more effort into his game), ....that's 0.65M$ saved....

Archived