WTF? : V Cup held only once every 2 years?

A bit of puzzling, troubling news here...

Caught a little bit of the post match wrap up on TEAM 1040.

Schaad & Errington had apparently interviewed someone from the CSA at half time who advised them that the V Cup and/or CONCACAF champions league (there's some confusion here) was only going to be held once every two years.

They brought Lenarduzzi on after the match, and relayed this info to him. He was legitimately shocked to hear it, and said he'd be getting on the horn to the CSA about it in the morning.

So... did anyone hear the half time bit, and can anyone ID the CSA guest?

Has something been badly misconstrued by the hosts here, or are we really getting screwed?

It;s a two-year event, in that after next year they'll re-evaluate and decide whether to continue. CONCACAF has only guaranteed the CSA a spot in the Champions League through 2009/10.

Judging by the crowds thus far, I'd say the event is a smashing success.

Rudi / VPjr:

Let me see if I have your info straight....

OK, the radio guys seemed to think that Billingsley was saying that the CL was going to be held once every two years, so 2008, 2010, 2012, etc.

But what you're saying is that according to your sources, we're going to have CL 2008 & 2009, after which point there will be a re-evaluation by CONCACAF as to whether or not the yearly CL format will continue... have I got that right?

Above it was mentioned to expand the cup? I think this should absolutely occur. Allow the CSL, PCSL (and any other top men's league in Canada) knock each other off via their already occuring cup for the right to join a final group or play-off with Van, MTL, and TO. This would very much drum up national interest quickly. I mean, honestly, if the US Men's League (or whatever it's called) can join the Open Cup why not the PCSL in the Canada Cup?

As much as I'm for a wide open competition, I think that TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver need to be guaranteed a spot in the final round. If they want to add more teams, open a 4th spot for a wild card team.

Since the tournament is so new, I think the biggest teams should be guaranteed a spot until the tournament is getting regular media coverage and is an annual success.

Part of the reasons for the current interest is:

1. It's new.

2. Canada's 3 major cities all have teams in it.

Now imagine what could happen if they opened this wide open and for some unexplicable reason Toronto and Montreal get eliminated early. There goes your media coverage and there goes the interest of the vast majority of the country.

A final round of London, Trois Riveres, and Vancouver will not captivate the country, and the tournament could rapidly fade away.

New York Red Bull (the largest media market inthe USA) got knocked off in the quarter finals by a division 2 team. I don't see how that affected the interest of the tournament. With a CONCACAF CUP spot on line it should be opened up (with MLS teams coming in at the final 4, USL teams final 8, CSL teams final 16 etc)

quote:Originally posted by DontPanic

New York Red Bull (the largest media market inthe USA) got knocked off in the quarter finals by a division 2 team. I don't see how that affected the interest of the tournament.

You're right. No one in the US cares about it anyways.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

The guy at half-time was the Cheif Operating Officer of the CSA (Billingsly?). He said the competition was a "2 year event".

He may have been trying to explain that the competition carries over into next year.

The US Open Cup is almost 100 years old. The Nutrilite Canadian Championship is 1 year old.

Fill the Canadian tournament up with CSL teams, have one of Canada's major teams suffer a fluke loss(they won't dress their starters to take on some rinky-dink provincial team), and watch the average Canadian soccer fan tune out. I'm sure the sponsers and TV broadcasters would fight tooth and nail to show two semi-pro teams play a match.

Establish the tournament first, then start opening it up.

As much as I'd like to see the tourny expanded next year with a fourth club (an amateur representative selected in whatever fashion) unless the Tourney (ie the CSA) is willing to cover that amateur (or semi-pro) sides expenses in the Vs Cup AND the subsequent CONCACAF Club Championship should they win through there really is no point is there?

Not many amateur clubs in Canada, and some have very well to do benefactors and communities, could afford any sort of run during the CONCACAF Club Championship.

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

The US Open Cup is almost 100 years old. The Nutrilite Canadian Championship is 1 year old.

Fill the Canadian tournament up with CSL teams, have one of Canada's major teams suffer a fluke loss(they won't dress their starters to take on some rinky-dink provincial team), and watch the average Canadian soccer fan tune out. I'm sure the sponsers and TV broadcasters would fight tooth and nail to show two semi-pro teams play a match.

Establish the tournament first, then start opening it up.

I do believe that is the intent, but at this point I don't think it's close to happening.

Who would be the fourth team ? PCSL clubs, CPSL clubs, PDL clubs, amatuer clubs ? Very difficult to pick one team out of all these third division leagues.

Then of course, there is the matter of funding.........

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

As much as I'm for a wide open competition, I think that TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver need to be guaranteed a spot in the final round. If they want to add more teams, open a 4th spot for a wild card team.

Since the tournament is so new, I think the biggest teams should be guaranteed a spot until the tournament is getting regular media coverage and is an annual success.

Part of the reasons for the current interest is:

1. It's new.

2. Canada's 3 major cities all have teams in it.

Now imagine what could happen if they opened this wide open and for some unexplicable reason Toronto and Montreal get eliminated early. There goes your media coverage and there goes the interest of the vast majority of the country.

A final round of London, Trois Riveres, and Vancouver will not captivate the country, and the tournament could rapidly fade away.

It'll go away if the Impact win the final match against TFC. It would simply be a repeating pattern.

Why not?

Players could simple be Cup tied and I can't think of anyone who views themselves as any sort of professional compromising that professionalism if that's what your worrying about (ie Cup matches involving Vancouver's Division 1 side).

We were lucky enough this year that everyone still had an outside chance going into their last match. With fixture congestion, injuries and what not playing a part in future tourneys I sure we'll see eliminated teams not giving their final Vs Cup matches much priority. Very normal and not the least bit sinister.

Archived