Patrice Bernier transfers to FC Nordsjælland

loyola

Good move for Bernier. He was basically released from Kaiserslautern so no idea whether there was a transfer fee involved. He only started two games in the last half of the season as he proved not be be part of Sasic's plans.

Kaiserslautern took their show on the road yesterday, showing off their new kit at the Zweibruecken 'Ice Arena', less well known as the Peter Cunningham Memorial Arena, where I spent 100's of hours in my youth.

quote:Originally posted by livesareavailable

Issey is considered a forward at FCN...

...and a fairly good forward. His 7 league goals and 7-8 assists last season was not bad at all... Dutch side Groningen btw seem interested in him.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But they he and Issy play essentially the same position and role on the MNT.

Not in the past few games. Bernier has been brought in as the d-mid to replace De Guzman in the past 3 matches whereas Issey is all about attack.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Not in the past few games. Bernier has been brought in as the d-mid to replace De Guzman in the past 3 matches whereas Issey is all about attack.

Alright, subtract 4 from my number 10 then. Still not an attacking winger like Issey has been.

Agreed. Bernier also auditioned for the starting holding mid role in the CR and SA matches last year but sh*t the bed in the second half of the latter.

But he is not Defensive player. Never was as long as I have known. And that goes right back to his youth days when he played at Canada Games as a fwd through his time at the Impact and for as long as I can recall with the MNT. Its hard to imagine him a D-Mid player. He is about pace and having the ball at his feet. That would be quite a transformation.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

His best place was the right offensive part of a midfield triangle (one defensive two offensive) in Norway

That would make sense. He was initially a fwd but I don't think as opportunistic as goal scorer so he was slipped back MF to to best utilize his skills.

But he is not Defensive player. Never was as long as I have known. And that goes right back to his youth days when he played at Canada Games as a fwd through his time at the Impact and for as long as I can recall with the MNT. Its hard to imagine him a D-Mid player. He is about pace and having the ball at his feet. That would be quite a transformation.

Certainly, in his first MNT appearences (and up until the end of last year's Gold Cup) he was used as a right flank midfielder but he never made much of an impression on me with his attacking skills. Interestingly enough, I thought his strength when wearing the Maple Leaf was having a good defensive understanding with Stalteri on the right flank (another guy who was an attacking midfielder/forward in his younger days and then converted to right fullback/wingback in Europe). I always thought Bernier was a good guy to have as a sub to help kill off a match from that defensive standpoint. Kudos to him for developing his defensive capabilities as his career has progressed.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I thought his strength when wearing the Maple Leaf was having a good defensive understanding with Stalteri on the right flank (another guy who was an attacking midfielder/forward in his younger days and then converted to right fullback/wingback in Europe).

I associate anyone playing the flank has having primarily offensive responsibilities unless you are playing something like a 3-5-2. A guy on the flank is primarily someone who can take advantage of open spaces.

Maybe there is some confusion in wording but my definition of D-mid is the guy who plays in front of the two central defenders and who can play in heavy traffic.

But these type of transformations happen all the time. Stalteri was for years nothing but a striker, then for years he was played in midfield, now he's a right back. Klukowski started off as an attacking midfielder, now he's a left back. Atiba Hutchinson has been used all over the field other than striker & in goal. So I don't see it as a huge deal to move someone from the right into the middle.

Archived