June 20: St-VAG @ CAN (WCQ) - Game thread

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I really wish DeRo would get out of MSL as they level is not favouring him, but I fear this last year was the moment, and he missed it. I don't deny he has drive and is a bit wild and can do things, has impetus and balls too, I like him and think he is a starter for sure, but he could be so much better. All he needs is decent coaching and a higher level of play to tune his skills with.

I would also like to see what DeRo can do/develop into in Europe. I am not sure what is keeping him from going.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by kevlar

I would also like to see what DeRo can do/develop into in Europe. I am not sure what is keeping him from going.

He probably does not have a decent agent. You look at what he is making and in any lower team in a top league he'd make more, and learn more, and probably come to understand a hell of a lot more about the world of football too. Send him to Bolton or Bochum or Betis or Brescia and we'd have a better player in 6 months.

Its clear that Klukowski owns his spot he looks a lot better than Brennan and Dejong and those two are'nt bad either. Also whenever Deguzman is not on the field we look out of shape and lost at times in the midfield.

I think Dero played well but I did'nt see anything from Radz or Issey, hopefully next cycle we will have Hume and Josh Simpson as strong options to push to the lineup. Also Serioux is a starter now, I like his skills and he tackles and marks like a rabid dog which I think against our competition he fits in well I guess with a healthy Mckenna its those two at the back??

If we can bring in Tam, Mckenna, Simpson, Hume and Lars I think our team is looking good with plenty of cover at every spot. I am not too confident in Onstad he is a warrior but he is 40 and it will only get worse, not saying its all his fault but his reactions are'nt that great and he looks weak with a few goals seemingly overpowering him I think Lars will be a better option now and going forward. Also I have'nt been that impressed with Atiba lately hopefully he regains the form he has shown in the past, lately he just is'nt involved in the play as much as he could be.

Well done to the boys, first step (of hopefully many) is out of the way. Only real disappointments are the cards to two of our best players (both of which were ridiculous) and giving up a goal to this team. Although it was a well taken goal, a bit of inexperience from Cann there, something hopefully he can learn from should we ever need to call on his services again.

I don't think we played as well as we did against Brazil, but you almost knew that was going to be the case, we seem to raise our level against the better teams and the way we weren't going into challenges here made it seem to me that the boys were more interested in getting out of this game without any injuries rather than going at it full tilt, and fair enough. St. Vincent were a far more impressive team than Belize in 2004 or some of the other minnows I've been able to see on Gol TV (like Jamaica's opponents, the Bahamas, who St. Vincent would probably easily beat).

The real disappointment was the officiating. Absolutely mind-boggingly some of the calls. I have no idea what they were calling, usually against Canada but sometimes for both (what was with that yellow to the St. Vincent player who was politely waiting to be subbed off?). It's the most discouraging aspect of the game in this region. If that's the sign of things to come, we're in trouble. We can only hope the incompetency goes both way and isn't targeted at us once again.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

These are just irritating things that make you think that only a few of our guys really are committed to modern football, possession, passing and looking intelligently for the chance. That bugs me, it puts us way behind the States still. And the fault above all is the coach's.

I think DeGuzman's the straw that stirs the drink for our team in all areas including this particular one. His tactical game has matured immensely since he's gone to Spain. Even though I was happy to see him taken off to avoid injury or another dubious card, I sensed that the passing rhythm dropped when he wasn't there. I would liked to have seen that Panama game and compare how our passing game went when the Guz was absent.

The boys played pretty poor in the second half. In the first they were much more organized and creating chances.

Adrian Cann got his chance, and blew it. He is just a notch below all of our other defenders and wow on that goal... what was he thinking? You've got to know they are going to take a quick free kick

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Adrian Cann got his chance, and blew it. He is just a notch below all of our other defenders and wow on that goal... what was he thinking?

He was probably thinking that he couldn't believe the Ref bought the dive from the St. Vincent player. I certainly couldn't. But even so, we're going to see more of that in the next round & the refs will still fall for it so he has to be more alert.

A shame, because otherwise he was fine and his distribution out of the back was decent. But hopefully he can learn from that.

quote:Originally posted by villus

Also I have'nt been that impressed with Atiba lately hopefully he regains the form he has shown in the past, lately he just is'nt involved in the play as much as he could be.

Good observation, villus. To throw my two bits in on the issue, I've always felt he's a better player when he's in the more advanced attacking midfield role as opposed to being the link man from deep (taking passes from the back four and distributing to the other midfielders), where he doesn't looking particularly prominent. For now, it looks like DeRosario is playing in the attacking mid role, so I guess we'll see how Hutchinson does come August.

I love how fickle we are. True they eased up a bit in the second half and did make a couple mistakes that Mexico will punish but by that point they were 7/6 goals up on aggregate. Everybody calm down.

Their goal was a heads up play and I don't think we can begrudge it (plus we had one disallowed that was definitely onside). D-Ro played well I don't know what people are talking about AND one of our bookings was ridiculous and the other (TR) was a bit marginal too unless he told the ref to F off or something.

I think we're in with a good chance.

So who's up first for us in round three? Mitchell said last night on the Soccer Show that he thinks it's Jamaica but I don't know how he knows that since they won't have the groups set completely till after this weekend. Anyway I hope they come out with the schedule soon.

quote:Originally posted by teddym

So who's up first for us in round three? Mitchell said last night on the Soccer Show that he thinks it's Jamaica but I don't know how he knows that since they won't have the groups set completely till after this weekend. Anyway I hope they come out with the schedule soon.

It will be Jamaica. Although the teams in the groups weren't set, the brackets were.

The group of death is all-but-official, Canada, Jamaica & Honduras have played their matches, unless Belize delivers the miracle of all miracles and scores two against Mexico, concedes none and beats them on penalties in Mexico, it will be happening.

quote:Originally posted by teddym

August 20

Canada vs. Jamaica

Mexico vs. Honduras

September 6

Jamaica vs. Mexico

Canada vs. Honduras

September 10

Mexico vs. Canada

Honduras vs. Jamaica

October 11

Mexico vs. Jamaica

Honduras vs. Canada

October 15

Canada vs. Mexico

Jamaica vs. Honduras

November 19

Honduras vs. Mexico

Jamaica vs. Canada

If we can get results from the first 2 games we'll be in a very good position, but we definitely can't afford to start slowly... *cough* Guatemala 0-2 *cough*. If we can eliminiate Jamaica early would be best, since the last game at the Office could be do-or-die.

Thanks for posting that, footballfreak . . . wow, we are in really tough. No more Vincy Heat. And it's just brilliant having three of the four best teams in CONCACAF in the same group, guaranteeing one of them can't get in!

quote:Originally posted by Most Scottish Man in Cdn.

I hope those fixtures are right. I just wrote them all down.

I got them from the Mexican section of Big Soccer. An old article from FIFA seems to confirm those are the fixtures. I'm sure we'll have confirmation of that (from one of the other FA's of course) sometime next week.

Jesus that was Kuschy?! Didn't even recognize him. Nice one Ali.

Lots of Wednesday fixtures in there. 4 of the 6 dates are Weds and the Aug and Oct home games for us are Weds. Hopefully the make this official soon and I can book off.

Nice job in the stands lads.

cheers,

matthew

An ok game, although I thought Canada was a bit too lax at times. Maybe it was just so nobody picks up a serious injury. Hopefully that's the case.

Great job by all the montreal fans and the travelling Vs and others.

BTW, both Jamaica and Honduras made it through as well. Jamaica won huge again , 6-0, which puts them with an aggregate of 13-0 which is quite something. Honduras had a 2-2 tie against Puerto Rico which doesn't exactly bode well, but they went through 6-2 nonetheless.

So going into a very tough group, it looks like Jamaica is the most comfortable one thus far, although it's hard to tell too much from these games against all these small islands.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

although it's hard to tell too much from these games against all these small islands.

Thats problem and what I don't like about these games. You cant get any assessment of the team and players because every individual on the team is better than anyone else on the opposing team. And the top level talent, doesn't feel that they need to push themselves.

Therefore just because so and so looks good tonight does not mean that he will measure up or fare the same against real opposition. Individual performances are best left for another day.

I hope Mitchell doesn't make player decisions based on what he saw against St Vincent and Grenandines

Archived