June 20: St-VAG @ CAN (WCQ) - Game thread

Daniel

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Martyr

I think they'll take De Guzman off at half time now that he's got a yellow. No point risking him getting suspended for the start of the next round.

Ya, I hope they do. I love watching De Guzman play, but it would be a disaster to start the group phase without him.

Take De Guzman off at the half in case the focking idiots of an officiating crew gives him another yellow. That's the problem with these pre-lim games, the cards should not carry over, especially with a joke of an officiating crew.

Outside of the usual garbage officiating, the thing that worries me most is the number of one on one battles we are losing. Maybe that's because St. Vincent is more desperate, but I don't like it.

Hopefully we don't just avoid playing soccer and try for goals, we need to not pick up any bad habits but use this to work on our movement passing and finishing but not just play to direct etc which can be tempting when up 5-0 against a weaker side.

quote:Originally posted by villus

Hopefully we don't just avoid playing soccer and try for goals, we need to not pick up any bad habits but use this to work on our movement passing and finishing but not just play to direct etc which can be tempting when up 5-0 against a weaker side.

Agreed. The chances will come as long as we maintain our tactical senses.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Take De Guzman off at the half in case the focking idiots of an officiating crew gives him another yellow. That's the problem with these pre-lim games, the cards should not carry over, especially with a joke of an officiating crew.

Outside of the usual garbage officiating, the thing that worries me most is the number of one on one battles we are losing. Maybe that's because St. Vincent is more desperate, but I don't like it.

I find the "garbage officiating" very disheartening. It's like nothing has changed and it gives me a bad feeling when I think about the more difficult matches to come.

I checked the match stats from last week and noticed only Issey got carded on the island. If he gets another yellow here, I believe he'll receive a suspension for the first match of the next round.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, in light of the circumstances I think his night should come to a close sooner than later.

quote:Outside of the usual garbage officiating, the thing that worries me most is the number of one on one battles we are losing. Maybe that's because St. Vincent is more desperate, but I don't like it.

Interesting point. This particular midfield configuration lacks a real ball winner type of defensive component. Perhaps a chance to audition De Jong's abilities for the second half?

quote:Originally posted by Metro

^^ I know...Devos keeps mentioning that if Vincy grab a goal back, it will become very difficult for Canada. Difficult how?

Right, it's 5-0 (should be at least 7-0). I'd like to see them pot a couple more this half anyway.

Archived