June 20: St-VAG @ CAN (WCQ) - Game thread

Daniel

the big question about those dates is:

Do the Blue Jays play on the same day?

That would mean no promoting of the games because it shows up on sportsnet west.

That is what matters to me at this point.

If Jays playing, it seems they will now have a long time to schedule this game live across the entire network.

I still can't believe I used to watch almost every single blue jay game in the 1990s---what a waste of time..now I can't watching a minute of baseball.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

Did anybody notice that Canada were wearing black armbands? Does anybody know what that was for? I'm just speculating here, but it was said that Gerba stayed home for "personal reasons" on Wed(or Thurs?)... could the black armbands, running to hug Kusch, and those personal reasons all be related somehow?

The black armbands were a tribute to Brian Budd.

quote:Originally posted by paul-toronto

the big question about those dates is:

Do the Blue Jays play on the same day?

That would mean no promoting of the games because it shows up on sportsnet west.

That is what matters to me at this point.

If Jays playing, it seems they will now have a long time to schedule this game live across the entire network.

I still can't believe I used to watch almost every single blue jay game in the 1990s---what a waste of time..now I can't watching a minute of baseball.

Good point. Just checked the Jays schedule... Aug 20 is a home game against the Yankees on Sportsnet! I smell tape delay for our first WCQ :(

The two games in September should be ok though as both those Jays games are on CBC and TSN respectively. The two October WCQ's will be during the baseball playoffs which I believe Sportsnet covers, so I'm guessing more tape delays there as well. Damn.

That is not good news. They should give these games to CBC if a live airing is not possible.

They should never let the sportsnet (aka the blue jays network) get the games. Jays play almost every single day!

I bet if CBC was to get the first game and have sufficient time to promote, they would incredible ratings.

I have never said anything against the CSA in the past. Live games (and well promoted) would do so much for soccer in Canada. They should have had a clause in the contract allowed the CSA to award some games to other networks if a scheduling contract exists.

quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

Did anybody notice that Canada were wearing black armbands? Does anybody know what that was for? I'm just speculating here, but it was said that Gerba stayed home for "personal reasons" on Wed(or Thurs?)... could the black armbands, running to hug Kusch, and those personal reasons all be related somehow?

For Budgie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Budd

quote:Originally posted by kevlar

I would also like to see what DeRo can do/develop into in Europe. I am not sure what is keeping him from going.

Too many Europeans and not enough Roti.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I hope Mitchell doesn't make player decisions based on what he saw against St Vincent and Grenandines

Unless there were other circumstances we weren't aware of, DM appears to rate Cann higher than Hainault. He may have had a re-think after the SVG goal, however.

Archived