Olympic Qualifying

Vic

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never seen so many lobed balls by a team in a soccer game, hilarious. Even if what Pellerud says that having balls in the opponent's defensive side increases the chances of scoring, they can do exactly the same by playing on the ground with accuracy an aimed at a teammate increasing even further the scoring chances. My choice of best player for Canada was Randee Hermus. Sinclair was too slow and lacking energy, but she together with Filigno were the two players actually passing on the ground. Costa Rica may be a tad harder, but I expect a similar rout.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Don't know if Costa Rica is going to be all that much better. FIFA's rankings are usually bunk, although they do seem to be a little truer on the women's side, but T&T is ranked ahead of Costa Rica.

Costa Rica seems to be doing a lot for developing their women soccer. Like right now they are hosting for the second year in a row an international women tournament for U20s.

Question: Do you choose your style of play to fit the opponent?

With the inexperience of the T & T keeper I thought high balls into the box was an appropriate tactic. It would not have worked against the US or Germany, but Canada's obvious superiority in the air seem to dictate this style of play against T & T. Remember they don't give style points (yet) for football.

I thought Sinclair's passing was superb. I also thought the Cara Lang should reread the offside rule. She can't afford to miss clear goal chances because she is perhaps too eager.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Question: Do you choose your style of play to fit the opponent?

With the inexperience of the T & T keeper I thought high balls into the box was an appropriate tactic. It would not have worked against the US or Germany, but Canada's obvious superiority in the air seem to dictate this style of play against T & T. Remember they don't give style points (yet) for football.

I thought Sinclair's passing was superb. I also thought the Cara Lang should reread the offside rule. She can't afford to miss clear goal chances because she is perhaps too eager.

Answer: Canada women only have one style no matter who they play.

I thought the T&T keeper was good. She made some excellent saves.

Even if high balls into the box was to be an appropriate tactic, it is not so in the rest of the field.

I am sure Kara Lang knows the offside rule. And yes I remember well there are no points for styles, just for wins and ties.

Last time, I was shocked they lost to Mexico but I really see this team going backwards. The last 10 minutes of the game showed them to be woeful in control and smarts. I would be surprised if they win their semifinal. Butt ugly soccer.

Well you aren't presenting a lot of options with that statement. I am saying their control and soccer smarts weren't very impressive considering they were playing such a pss-poor opponent.

And i agree, but and I have seen this on the pitch. When you play an inferior opponent controlling the ball for long periods of time gives your team a false sense of their abilities. I would rather run the other team into the ground by quick attack making them play in their defensive end and pile up the corners especially since I know that I am probably not going to play possession football against superior teams. I am talking about a competition that I want to win, not a "friendly" where I can try different styles and formations. For whatever it is worth "ya have to dance with the one that brought ya" and NOW is NOT the time to try anything new.

As to Kara Lang, I glad to see her up front (we need her attacking skills), but she has to be more disciplined as to offside. She could cost us an important match. I am sure Pellerud has comunicated that to her.

quote:

I would rather run the other team into the ground by quick attack making them play in their defensive end and pile up the corners especially since I know that I am probably not going to play possession football against superior teams. I am talking about a competition that I want to win, not a "friendly" where I can try different styles and formations. For whatever it is worth "ya have to dance with the one that brought ya" and NOW is NOT the time to try anything new.

A bad pass is a bad pass, a turnover is a turnover, and poor touch and decisions have nothing to do with who you are playing, the style you are playing, or the score in the game.

It all means zilch though. It's called a qualification "tournament", but everyone knows it's a single-game competition - not a single thing matters but Mexico. Coming out and playing immaculate football in the first two doesn't do a single thing for you. They could even play the full bench in the first two to avoid injuries, and other than that it's coaches decision between the upside of match fitness and the downside of having the starting 11 play down to the level of TT/CR before a better opponent.

Anyone know why Corral wasn't on the roster yesterday?

So you would have rather had 80 % possession and a 1-0 defeat?

To be honest I'd take that over last night's 6-0 win if it brought around a change of style. The women's game is advancing so quickly, and Canada will fall quickly if they can't start to play real football.

The style WILL change with the next coach and that will probably come right after the Olympic (or earlier if we don't beat Mexico). BUT what will posters here say if we do worse with a new coach and a change of style?

That depends...20 years of worse or a couple of years of worse? The former I'd have a problem with, the latter...I kind of expect.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Today results were T&T vs Costa Rica 2-2

Interesting score. So essentially, the fate of both teams rests in the hands of Canada. Hopefully Canada wins 6-0 again so we can have a drawing of lots. Of course, one of these teams will simply be sacrificed to the US anyways.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Interesting score. So essentially, the fate of both teams rests in the hands of Canada. Hopefully Canada wins 6-0 again so we can have a drawing of lots. Of course, one of these teams will simply be sacrificed to the US anyways.

You are most likely correct, although it is slightly interesting to note that if Mexico & the US draw the US will finish second since Mexico scored more goals against Jamaica & had a slightly better goal differential (plus 7 after one game as opposed to plus 6).

So does the US play Mexico before Canada plays Costa Rico or after? If before and they tie would Canada be tempted to perhaps take a strategic defeat so they draw Mexico in the semi-final and not the US? It has happended before in World Cup group play that's why they play games at the same time but people are still on the phone checking how other teams are doing.

Archived