Olympic Qualifying

Vic

The United States women’s national team is back on top of the world, No. 1 in the latest FIFA rankings, after winning the Algarve Cup earlier this month in Portugal.

“We want people to talk about the way we attack, and I think we have started off pretty well,” Pia Sundhage, the national team’s new coach, said during a telephone interview last week from Stockholm.

“It takes awhile, and we’ve been together for only three months.”

“They were not satisfied with the bronze and with the way they played,” Sundhage said. “I want to make up for whatever happened in the World Cup, both on and off the field. I think it is perfect timing to have me as the coach because I wasn’t there. The fact that I’m a European coach is a sign that U.S. Soccer has embraced change and that’s a good start.

“And I think it’s healthy they hired a coach from outside the U.S. I come from another culture; this is not my mother tongue. I don’t know the language well enough and sometimes I can’t find the right words, so everyone has to be on top of things to understand me. I know it’s a big strain, but I also believe that you shouldn’t take anything for granted. I know everyone on the team wants to win the gold. We are on the road to gold. Every single practice, every meal, every pregame talk — if you can take something from that, you’re a winner.”

She said she was committed to tweaking the American team’s style of play by giving the players license to be more creative while increasing the game’s tempo.

“If Germany can take the game to the next level defending, we want to take it to the next level when it comes to attack,” she said. “We want to run even more, but not just up and down. We want to pick the right moment when we can change the rhythm and speed.”

Sundhage has named the New Jersey native Christine Rampone team captain. “I watched her on the U.S. before, now I stay a yard away from that person,” she said. “She is a mother and soccer player. I trust her 100 percent.”

“It’s clear they expect gold, and that’s what we’re going for,” she said. “End of story. After the Olympics, I presume we’ll sit down and look at the next four years. For me, it doesn’t matter because right now I’m part of something that is big and I just love it. Either they offer me another four years or I take a flight back to Sweden.”

Quality lady.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it is not my service as a Speakeasy speedtest to Chicago from Vancouver gives me almost 5Mb/s which is the max my ISP promises and more than enough to watch this feed without hesitation. Seems the CBC server is just not up to the job, can't handle the load.

Archived