Olympic Qualifying

Vic

Yeck! That was a pis poor performance. No way you can sugar coat it. Costa Rica has improved, but we look worse.

The only players that looked impressive were Sinclair, Matheson, Hermus and Chapman. I'm not including Mcleod because our U20 keeper could of played and won this game. It looks like Pellerud gave a few players some extra rest in anticipation of Wednesday's game.

I signed up for GolTV (it's cheap) and although the quality of the broadcast is poor, it is a heck of a lot better than watching a post card size streaming video.

They play like that against Mexico and they are toast (again), even without Dominguez, or else Erin Mcleod will have to absolutely steal the game.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- we are a top 10 team, Mexico is 22nd ranked

- we have qualified for the last four world cups, Mexico has never qualified

- they are ranked one place above New Zealand, who we pounded mercilessly on the other side of the world last year

- we are 12-1-1 against Mexico

There's no point in even comparing. They aren't even in the same class we are. And if that's not enough, we're far better funded, and far better residenced and trained this time than the teams in the past that hammered them. And if that's not enough, there's the emotion of last time too.

The only time we've ever lost to them was last time round when they caught us completely off-guard and mentally unprepared. In the six months leading to up to the loss we had beaten them 8-0 and 6-0, and we got outfoxed by Cuellar. You can guarantee that won't happen this time, and there is just no way in God's green earth we step on that field and lose.

quote:

"We believe"... "become the first Canadian team to qualify for the Women’s Olympic Football Tournament"

On one hand it's history being made, but on the other it's more of a misnomer. It's not like they were playing in ancient Greece, or for that matter even before the second Die Hard movie. There have only been three tournaments, and the first two had one single CONCACAF rep (USA) before going to two last time. Perhaps it's just me, but I fail to see the connection between how widening the pool and beating a team we've taken 37 of a possible 42 points from has anything to do with a historic achievement.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Hard to believe these women have been fulltime professional soccer players living and training in residence for nearly two years now!

Um.. gee.. how do you come to that analysis ? We have excellent national womens team coach .. surely he knows best.....

sarcasm intended.

06.04: CANADA – COSTA RICA 1:0 (1:0) (A: 22280)

Melissa TANCREDI 15’

CAN: 18-Erin McLeod – 5-Robyn Gayle (46: 13-Amy Walsh), 6-Sophie Schmidt (68: 21-Jodi Ann Robinson), 7-Rhian Wilkinson, 8-Diana Matheson, 9-Candace Chapman, 11-Randee Hermus, 12-Christine Sinclair-C, 14-Melissa Tancredi (76: 15-Kara Lang), 16-Jonelle Filigno, 19-Alexandra Marton. Booked: Walsh 60’

TD: Even PELLERUD

CRC: 1-Priscilla Natalia Tapia – 4-Karol Galvez, 5-Amanda Esquivel, 6-Gabriela Trujillo, 8-Monica Malavassi-C (67: 11-Raquel Rodriguez), 10-Katherine Alvarado, 12-Laura Rebeca Sanchez, 14-Amara Wilson (82: 13-Megan Chavez), 15-Cristin Granados, 16-Yuliana Maria Rodriguez, 20-Wendy Patricia Acosta (90: 9-Paola De Los Angeles Alvarado). Booked: Granados 7’, Y. Rodriguez 67’

TD: Juan Diego QUESADA

Statistics: CAN – CRC

Goal Attempts: 9 – 3

Shots on Target: 6 – 2

Saves: 2 – 2

Fouls: 16 – 10

Corners: 7 – 2

Offsides: 3 – 0

R: Kari SEITZ (USA)

A1: Maria Isabel TOVAR (MEX)

A2: Rita MUÑOZ (MEX)

FO: Jennifer BENNETT (USA)

Now we are back to blaming the players because "they did not perform to their ability, were careless, apprehensive" etc. Not an individual player here and there who was having an off day but the WHOLE TEAM. Of course it would have NOTHING to do do with their training, skills, preparation, style of play, all the responsibility of the coach. But hey, we are losing our focus here and our expectations are too high. Remember, they are one big happy family.

I've coached for over 15 years and I've noticed that when a team is not successful that the majority of the blame goes to the coach and when the team wins the credit usually goes to the players. It's just the nature of how people complain.

It's the same thing as teaching. When the kids do well it's "What wonderful students." and when the kids don't do well it's "What is wrong with the teacher?"

I didn't see the Costa Rico game but I suspect that player performance is more variable than coaching performance.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Add another screw-up to the long list of the CSA. 1-0.

It was 1-0 or 2-0?

I was switching channels and I saw 2-0 on GolTV and the CSA release have a description of 2 goals...

I'm confused.

Wow! I don't believe it. I guess the goal was called off even though she didn't look offside to me on replay. Nigel and Helen talked about the 2-0 score right until the end of the game and the scoreline had 2-0 permantly fixed to the top of the screen throughout. Are we sure we even won the game? Maybe Tancredi's goal was called off because she's to big and strong and Costa Rica scored a goal when the camera was off showing us the huge crowd filling up the stadium.

If you can't trust the CBC then who can you trust.

I checked the score situation with the CSA today. Apparently the second goal was disallowed by the referee but the telecast missed that fact. The CONCACAF tournament site has had the score at 1:0 ever since it was posted - and they were late posting it!

This is altogether embarrassing. CBC showing to the world the wrong score. In-studio commentary proven to be inaccurate. The camera operators in Juarez (I pressume Mexican) had one beer too many. We know now where the CSA get their information, the CBC, not a phone call from their staff in Juarez. Wow! I guess we are still lucky we get to see most of the game. So what if the telecast misses a few goals or not goals (lol). I wonder if there is a scoreboard in that stadium?

So we won by one goal to nil against a minnow ... how does that square with Even's methods ?

Clearly we are going backwards and the players lack on field leadership, hopefully we qualify, and then let Pelerud go and replace him, it must be clear to all he is not able to change is coaching philosphy to adjust to a changing game, and he clearly has not trained the players to have "different" game in their back pockets.

Maybe somebody should ask Nigel Reed before the Mexico game how the CBC could have made such an error. That gives him time to figure out an explanation to give us all on-air during the Mexico game. Can anybody say what was shown on GolTV who were broadcasting the game too, presumably with their own commentators? Most of the major media outlets reported the score as 2:0 immediately after the game so presumably the CBC were not the only ones to get it wrong. What was displayed on the in-stadium scoreboard?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Maybe somebody should ask Nigel Reed before the Mexico game how the CBC could have made such an error. That gives him time to figure out an explanation to give us all on-air during the Mexico game. Can anybody say what was shown on GolTV who were broadcasting the game too, presumably with their own commentators? Most of the major media outlets reported the score as 2:0 immediately after the game so presumably the CBC were not the only ones to get it wrong. What was displayed on the in-stadium scoreboard?

Nigel calls the game from a Toronto studio. he is calling the game using the exact same camera angles we get.

Nigel would not be able to tell you what the in-stadium scoreboard showed because, unless the camera person focused on the scoreboard, he would not see it from his Toronto studio.

it is quite an odd situation. He definitely believed the score was 2-0. I spoke to him about it at length on sunday evening.

As for the game...wow, thank god that there are 500 channels on the cable box because there is no way i could sit through that horrific display of "soccer" for the full 2 hours. It was truly awful. I actually felt bad for Nigel and Helen because they had to keep watching it. I could turn the channel. Of course, they were getting paid to watch it but they really should put in for danger pay because watching the full 90 minutes of that game could not be good for one's health.

Wilkinson says they played bad because the sun was burning, it was too dry and the altitude affected them. I say that for all the training they have had, the excellent? coaching, the long list of support staff always traveling with the team, the free rein they are given, etc. it just sounds as a lame excuse.

Archived