TFC vs KC [R]

MM2

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080216&content_id=139242&vkey=pr_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Scoring Summary:

TFC: Maurice Edu (Brennan) 44'

TFC: Maurice Edu (O'Brien, Dunivant) 61'

Toronto FC Lineup: Sutton, Brennan, Marshall, James (Marco Velez 64), Wynne, Dunivant (Kiki Musampa 62), Robinson, Edu, O'Brien, Cunningham (Jamie Watson 77), Samuel

Kansas City Lineup: Hartman, Conrad, Jewsbury, Wahl, Kraus, Myers, Harrington, Zavagnin, Morsink, Colombano, Sealy

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

And can we stop the moaning about Canadian content for one day?

fair comment to make on u-sector, but this is the canadian supporter's site, need i remind you...i think we are justified in moaning about the lack of canadian content at tfc 24-7 if we so choose...somebody has to remind people that this isnt the way it was supposed to be for "canada's team"

I've been a bit dissapointed with Mo's opinion about canadian players (comments about Occean in particular) but we have to remember that they're not that many options right now. I can't see many players with MLS level that could be interested in playing with TFC right now.

To be fair to TFC, they have invited 2 young canadians (Wagenaar and Rosenlund) to their camp who are looking for a clubs, it's up to them to impress the coahcing staff now.

I think all this "it was suppose to be Canada's team" is absolute BS. The idea was to give canadians players a good pro opportunity in Canada, not to sign every canadian players who aren't good enough for that level. We've seen it in another thread in the MNT section, we have a lot of players in good european league right now, leagues that might be higher quality than MLS and I wouldn't like to see them sign with a TFC or any MLS team.

I truly hope to see more canadians with TFC in the near future but so far they have been a positive for a few youngsters and it's not a bad thing.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Sorry to point out that threads this pre season seems to evolve in to Canadian content moans.

now is EXACTLY the time when we should be most critical of TFC's lack of canadian content, what with training camp started and a few unattached canadians floating around for the taking, and the recent departure of guys like Pozniak

sorry, sir, to point out that defending the utterly defenseless position that TFC has put themselves in is better left to a TFC-supporters site, and that supporters of canadian football should feel free to continue to air their disbelief and frustration with the sitiation

Actually something we tend to forget is that guys like Melo, Lombardo, Hemming, Canizalez, Monsalve, Gala, Srdjan and you can add Sutton, Pozniak and maybe Stama to that list would've never have played games at a better level in 2007 if it wasn't for TFC.

I agree that move like letting Pozniak and Serioux go should be criticize but it's not like they were released and left without a club, they are still in the league and as a MNT fan I couldn't care less if they were playing with TFC or Dallas. The only think I want is our players playing at the highest level.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

sorry, sir, to point out that defending the utterly defenseless position that TFC has put themselves in is better left to a TFC-supporters site, and that supporters of canadian football should feel free to continue to air their disbelief and frustration with the sitiation

And I'm sorry that you think that because those of us at the U-Sector site don't constantly bitch like many here about the relative lack of Canadian content on TFC that we are somehow content with the situation.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Actually something we tend to forget is that guys like Melo, Lombardo, Hemming, Canizalez, Monsalve, Gala, Srdjan and you can add Sutton, Pozniak and maybe Stama to that list would've never have played games at a better level in 2007 if it wasn't for TFC.

I agree that move like letting Pozniak and Serioux go should be criticize but it's not like they were released and left without a club, they are still in the league and as a MNT fan I couldn't care less if they were playing with TFC or Dallas. The only think I want is our players playing at the highest level.

Thank you, loyola, for seeing the situation at TFC with regards to Canadian content as what it is. Many here tend to think of it as far too black and white an issue, which is far from the case.

As a fan of the Canadian national team and TFC, it is very frustrating to read a lot of the whining that goes on here at times.

A friend of mine made a comment in an email this morning that, according to some people he knows that are observing the various MLS camps in Bradenton the last week or so, John Carver has been impressing many people. The common impression is that JC is a stark upgrade over Mr. Mo on the sidelines.

considering there isn't much news regarding new signings, at least this is something that could pass as good news, even though it is just the opinions of some people who I don't know. I know I'm reaching for straws but we've got to have something to get excited about I guess.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Thank you, loyola, for seeing the situation at TFC with regards to Canadian content as what it is. Many here tend to think of it as far too black and white an issue, which is far from the case.

As a fan of the Canadian national team and TFC, it is very frustrating to read a lot of the whining that goes on here at times.

I feel like I should comment, because it was a snide reply to my observation that started this whole thing. I was merely observing that the lineup deployed in this friendly looked as close to a first choice 11 as we've seen this pre-season. Can you see any of Lombardo, Gala, Hemming, or Rosenlund displacing the starters in their positions from this friendly? It seems unlikely. For me, this is disappointing.

The Canadians will get their chance when there are injuries, and that's something, I guess.

TFC reserves take the field:

Scoring Summary:

US U-17: Caldwell 12'

TFC: Musampa 24' PK

TFC: Phelan (Rosenlund) 87'

TFC: Watson (Musampa) 88'

Toront FC Line up: Edwards, Attakora-Gyan, Boyens, Phelan, Zaher, Smith (Lombardo 72), Musampa, Rosenlund, Balc (Gala 45), Watson, Lombardo (Melo 45).

For me, being someone not from Toronto who was a strong supporter of this concept for many years (that being an MLS team in the GTA), I'm not too worried in an overall sense.

Do I have some minor gripes? Absolutely. Considering TFC plucked Tyler Hemming from the supplemental draft last year, I find it rediculous that they didn't even exercise their option and use all their supplemental selections this year.

But, considering what I'm seeing from early camp this year, I'm pleased with what may transpire for Canucks. Too me, it looks like Sutton and Brennan are two of the first names put on the game sheet, so that puts them on par with Houston whom start two Canadians and LA who used to start two Canadians.

Add to that the early reviews on Tyler Rosenlund. Here's a guy most of us considered to be the prototype Canadian that should benefit from a Canadian MLS team. He was an excellent college player, on par or better than many of the guys who are developing in the league last year and this year. But he was also a guy who needed some work from what we saw at the 2005 WYC and MLS seemed to be perfect for him. I'm tickled after a year in the wilderness that he's where (IMHO) he should be, battling for a back-up job with TFC.

Hemming I believe to be a worthwhile project and I believe the team does too, at least at this point. Same for Lombardo. He needs the time as the fourth or fifth choice striker and I hope he relishes the role that will feature less pressure and be ready to take his chance when it comes. Again the preseason reports seem encouraging although it is early days.

Plus, to be perfectly honest from a national team fan's point of view, I don't want guys who are doing well overseas to come back. They may as well make the money and develop at relatively a similar or higher level (depending upon the player and league). Let's leave these spots for the one or two guys per year who actually have a chance to make MLS and thus add to the player pool. So, that means being patient with the Can/Con situation. Each year maybe a youth international or two plus and NCAA guy or two make a push for those spots.

To me, the goal is long-term, so that means having a sustainable financial infrastructure (which they seem well on they're way to doing) and being a competitive product on the field in order to keep the interest up and the team viable.

Have they done everything well? No. My major other gripe is that they need to ensure they are playing all the reserve games this year primarly because that is where the Canadians are.

So sure, I have some issues and by no means give them a free pass, but I also like to add some balance in terms of my expectations.

Toronto FC 3, U.S. U-17 national team 1

A day after notching their first victory of 2008, Kiki Musampa, Pat Phelan and Jamie Watson rallied Toronto FC from an early 1-0 deficit Sunday to down the U.S. U-17 national team, 3-1.

Fielding an entirely different lineup from the night before, TFC found themselves behind the eight-ball in the 12th minute when Scott Caldwell found the back of the net from just outside the penalty area to put the U.S. youngsters on top. It wasn't long before the Reds mounted a comeback though. After Watson was taken down inside the box in the 23rd minute, Musampa stepped up to convert the ensuing penalty kick to knot the game at 1-1.

Toronto stepped up with consistent pressure in the second half, eventually breaking through in the 87th minute as Phelan headed a beautiful cross from midfielder Tyler Rosenlund past the U-17 'keeper. Just one minute later, Watson found himself on the receiving end of a great feed inside the box from Musampa, dribbling the ball past the 'keeper to solidify the victory.

Toronto FC: Edwards, Attakora-Gyan, Boyens, Phelan, Zaher, Smith (Lombardo 72), Musampa, Rosenlund, Balc (Gala 46), Watson, Lombardo (Melo 46).

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080218&content_id=139508&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Nice to see the US baby nats hang tough against an MLS side. Even took the lead. I think this is going to be our golden generation.

They were not playing anything close to the TFC starting team. This was mostly a TFC reserve team with a few of the substitutes and a trialist.

Archived