CSA Fan's Choice Canadian Player of the Year

BrennanFan

Voting for CanadaSoccer.com Fan's Choice begins

Soccer fans across the country are asked to vote for their favourite Canadian players in the 2007 CanadaSoccer.com Fan's Choice poll. Voting begins today and runs through 20 January 2008. Fans are asked to vote for one male player and one female player.

Fans can select any Canadian player. The list of senior nominees is the same as the list for the 2007 adidas Canadian Players of the Year award. Unlike the player of the year vote (based on performance, voted by coaches and media), the CanadaSoccer.com Fan's Choice is based on popularity. Each fan can make one male selection and one female selection.

Fans can email their Fan's Choices to rscott@soccercan.ca with the title "CanadaSoccer.com Fan's Choice" in the subject line.

Male Nominees from the Men’s national team / Nominés de l’équipe nationale masculine senior

- Julian de Guzman - Scarborough, ON

- Dwayne De Rosario -Scarborough, ON

- Rob Friend - Rosetown, SK

- Ali Gerba - Montréal, QC

- Richard Hastings - Prince George, BC

- Atiba Hutchinson - North York, ON

- Ante Jazic - Halifax, NS

- Pat Onstad - Vancouver, BC

- Paul Stalteri - Etobicoke, ON

- other selection

Female Nominees from the Winners – Women’s national team / Nominées de l’équipe nationale feminine senior Winners

- Candace Chapman - Ajax, ON

- Martina Franko - Squamish, BC

- Randee Hermus - Langley, BC

- Kristina Kiss - Ottawa, ON

- Diana Matheson - Oakville, ON

- Erin McLeod - St. Albert, AB

- Sophie Schmidt - Abbotsford, BC

- Christine Sinclair - Burnaby, BC

- Rhian Wilkinson of Baie d’Urfe, QC

- other selection

*(pretty redundant with our award, especially since we have already been legitimized by the media. maybe next year we can approach the CSA and merge the two).

If the CSA did not run such a ballot there are many here who would be all over them for once again being delinquent in their responsibility and failing Canadian soccer fans. No doubt those would be the same people who are scorning the current CSA ballot. Some battles you just can't win. I am quite happy to vote in both ballots, both have their place. And don't forget, the Voyageurs selection represented the choice of a grand total of only 74 people.

/\ Richard, you are not wrong that they have every right to run such a contest but I too will not vote. The V's have made their choice and that's good enough for me.

The media can vote with the CSA. We had hoped that they would vote on the V's site but, in general, they did not. Next year, we'll want to appeal to the media more quickly in December and follow up with them more vigorously because it would be great for the V's award to be the only one that matters in future.

No doubt their would have been nay-sayers in either case. The point I'm making is that the CSA has rightfully earned their label as "delinquents" and my boycotting their vote is a small token of disgust.

Having an online vote, organised by a multi-million dollar government association, that draws only a meager amount of public voting is another sign that there is a problem. And by not voting I am hoping that the CSA will justifiably suffer more of the public embarassment it deserves.

Just another small opportunity to make our point.

I don't know. I'm going to vote, and I'd encourage everyone else to as well. Any and every instrument of recognition which the players receive, especially if it's through their often neglectful association, is a good thing.

So I'm going to vote and hope that The Guz gets a third award for Mum & Dad's trophy case.

I'm sure the CSA poll will be far more popular but I'm not exactly sure if it will be anything especially dramatic. It's a slow time for Canadian football and there is little call for regulars never mind the casually curious to visit either site.

However, I would suggest that a massively popular polling (thousands of submissions) would do far more good in our cause for greater priority and financing of the senior national teams than any boycott.

Note you have to e-mail your choices in.

Boycotting the CSA poll is rather petty and dishonours those players involved in this ballot, is that what you really want? The CSA is Canada's FIFA recognised national soccer body and it is not going away. You might as well accept that and work constructively to make it better. Besides, if the Voyageurs can only get 74 people to participate in a poll, even if all 74 boycott the CSA (and it won't be that many because I have participated in both polls :-) ) the impact will be negligible. You're far more likely to gain some influence by overwhelming the organisation with support.

I won't vote. Why would I? I mean who are the fans, I thought we were? I get the sense this poll will be for people who have not been following these players. I read on one blog a Scottish guy say he was going to be voting for Richard Hastings because he is the only international on Inverness...

And one thing I don't get, when the CSA's website still needs a lot of work, why is Richard Scott spending time counting emails?

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

I won't vote. Why would I? I mean who are the fans, I thought we were? I get the sense this poll will be for people who have not been following these players. I read on one blog a Scottish guy say he was going to be voting for Richard Hastings because he is the only international on Inverness...

And one thing I don't get, when the CSA's website still needs a lot of work, why is Richard Scott spending time counting emails?

Well, I think we're doing a fine job as the only canadian supporters group but the reality is that we aren't alone. A lot of canadian fans don't have the time to be involve with us for different reasons and to me the CSA's poll might be representative as well.

I can find you some votes in our poll that were also suggesting a strong bias like your Hasting example. Also, if you re-read the voting thread you'll find some examples of people not voting for some players because of past performances (i.e. Onstad). How objective is that?

quote:Originally posted by Soju

How about simply not supporting anything the CSA does until they stop being completely useless?

That is taking it a bit too far. Will you not be seeing any WCQ games because the CSA are the ones putting the games on?

No because that would mean not supporting the players. I support the players completely but boycott the CSA as much as possible. This would include their website, their way too late and often inaccurate press releases/match reports/news and all their other sub par crap a child could've slapped together in a weekend. [:o)][:o)]

And there are plenty of good, harworking folks who are part of the CSA, doing the best they can under often very difficult circumstances and as frustrated as the rest of us at the organisation's limitations. Every time you badmouth the CSA you're sticking pins into these folks too, folks who don't deserve it.

Off topic but I'm wondering why we don't openly discuss who are the good hard working folks at the CSA, because we often discuss who are not. Unfortunately you're both completely right, badmouthing the organization will only hurt those who care, because the ones just trying to keep their pay checks won't give a sh1t either way. Can anyone shed more light on this?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Boycotting the CSA poll is rather petty and dishonours those players involved in this ballot, is that what you really want?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

And there are plenty of good, harworking folks who are part of the CSA, doing the best they can under often very difficult circumstances and as frustrated as the rest of us at the organisation's limitations. Every time you badmouth the CSA you're sticking pins into these folks too, folks who don't deserve it.

Pop a few too many Hyperbole pills there Richard?

Archived