Rumoured Mo contract extension

Gian-Luca

Bah, whatever.

Does raise the question though as to whether Trader Mo has done a good enough job this maiden season to warrant a second.

It's true enough in that he's learning as he comes along. Not quite sure what the folk in Toronto were expecting from him but I was against his hiring from the start. Thought he was hired on his name and nothing else and I think I got that right. His performance has not surprised me in the least. (Not entirely true, but mostly).

But, as was mentioned he is learning as he goes along and he is in a unique situation with Toronto and the domestic quota.

And I have to admit, as a marketing tool the man is a success. In modern football a managers off field/media skills are a valuable part of his job and Trader Mo seems to have them nailed. It's refeshing at least to hear from a manager who's "Old School" when it comes to mouthing off his players. Harsh term but you know what I mean.

So the question is, for the TFC bunch for who all this is closer to home, what's the grade for Trader Mo this term and how much leeway does he have for next season?

MLSE loves to give extensions to managers/coaches that they will ultimately fire soon thereafter, having to pay out a handsome buyout. It's a cost of doing business over there it seems.

Seriously though, I think Mo is a bit of a work in progress. He's made a few good/great moves, some bad/terrible decisions and alot that fall into the mediocre/too early to tell column. I think that the team showed that, when fully healthy, they were capable of wins and some entertaining football. They have also shown themselves to be completely devoid of depth, which is pretty typical of an expansion team in any sport. This isn't making excuses, just reality of sport. If the team falls on its face next season, then the knives might be justified. Mo is a bit unconventional, especially in staid, conservative Canada but I personally find him refreshing. People ask him a question and he actually answers it. Too many coaches and managers have fallen into the same cliche traps that the players are stuck in and it makes sports alot more boring than they should be.

quote:"When we start the (2008) season with a healthy Dichio, Cunningham, O'Brien and Sutton as well as a rested Carl Robinson and Collin Samuel, we will have a pretty impressive nucleus of players," he said.

He's really not giving up on Samuel, is he? I thought he might be the next out the door.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Mo isn't the only one getting a contract extension:

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/09/06/4473681-sun.html

Bottom of the article refers to Brennan getting one too. And they are negotiating to buy Kenny outright.

Good moves there. Hope JB negotiated a big, fat, raise. Can pretty much name his price from what I've seen.

My view on Mo is that he has not shown anything that suggests he is a superior Coach or General Manager.

At the same time, it is not Mo's fault that he is being given a contract extension. That points to MLSE's lack of knowledge of the professional soccer business.

The question in my mind is whether MLSE understands that the quality of player found in the MLS are a dime a dozen in the Global market. The challenge is to have a network in place that will push names forward to TFC first when they are available so that a limited budget is used most effectively. Currently, TFC's network is rather limited and there appears to be a reluctance to expand it.

Kinda like Mitchell ... poor performance = promotion !

Minuses - "How many of his "picks" are no longer around : Buddle, Nagamura, Welsh, etc. etc. ?

- the scoreboard, the standings, the finishing, the style of play

Positives - Opportunities for JB, Pozniak, Lombardo, Gala, Stamatopolous, et. al. to shine.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Positives - Opportunities for JB, Pozniak, Lombardo, Gala, Stamatopolous, et. al. to shine.

I would hope that they all would've had a chance no matter who was in charge. The league rules dictate that. I would also think that if it was a different manager, some of those guys would've had a chance earlier rather than being forced in through injuries, but that could be my rose coloured glasses talking. [:I]

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by loyola

I've heard stuff about this, can someone who saw a TFC practice tell us more about how Mo runs practices? Thanks

Yeah, I would like to hear about this as well.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Yeah, I would like to hear about this as well.

That's always been a criticsm of Mojo ever since his time with NY. Fans reported that the team wasn't in shape and this was leading to poor play and increased injuries.

Anyway, not sure if I'd take that hard a line on him at this point. Although, at the beginning of the season I would have bet by life the team was out of shape, because we were always being badly outplayed in the last 30 minutes or so of the game.

Archived