Gerry Dobson: The Bottom Line

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2007/07/11/the_bottom_line/

July 11, 2007

The bottom line

Rather than hastily bang out a blog revealing my own disappointment at Canada's dismal showing at the under-20 World Cup, I thought I'd let it settle for a few days first. Perhaps try and give it a little perspective. But maybe it didn't work because I don't know if I feel any differently than I did immediately after Sunday's shocking exit.

But I'm probably as guilty as the next guy of turning what wound up being false hope into expectation. I think the CSA, the team, the media and fans across the country might have felt the same thing. The new stadium, the brisk ticket sales, positive pre-tournament friendlies, the success of Toronto FC -- it all created an environment where belief in the team surpassed its ability. We know now they simply weren't good enough. Maybe if we had taken a hard look, we would have recognized that from the outset. Maybe not.

But I'm convinced of this. From the ground up, we need to look at the entire way the sport works in this country. I guess that sounds like a tired argument. But with all due respect to the hard working volunteers across Canada, the CSA needs to be re-invented. Perhaps the new CEO has some fresh ideas. But it has to be run like a business. It has to make money. It has to turn that money into coaching, developmental programs and an infrastructure that will allow us to find, develop and keep the best young players we have. I don't know how to make it happen. I wish I did.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Limited knows how to make money. And that's what's needed. Run the CSA the way a professional sports franchise is operated. Or better still, maybe the club system should be the main process by which we develop elite players. Isn't that the way they do it in the U.K.?

We're still a few years away from that idea taking hold and bearing fruit in this country. But we're hearing that both the Vancouver Canucks and George Gillett, who owns the Montreal Canadiens, are interested in MLS franchises. We already know Vancouver Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot has been after a team for some time now.

Let them all at it. You watch them find and develop young players if it means improving the bottom line for them. Maybe they don't know the sport. But they'll hire people who do. And maybe I'm crazy. But aren't you ready to try just about anything? Because what we've got isn't working.

This will be good. Saputo can't sit on his butt bitching about the franchise fee and wait to make a decision whether he wants to try and get in or not. Nothing better than some healthy competition.

With Gillett as an owner I'm sure you'd see a lot of Liverpool players coming to Montreal on-loan which would be verrry interesting.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2007/07/11/the_bottom_line/

July 11, 2007

The bottom line

. . . From the ground up, we need to look at the entire way the sport works in this country. I guess that sounds like a tired argument. But with all due respect to the hard working volunteers across Canada, the CSA needs to be re-invented. Perhaps the new CEO has some fresh ideas. But it has to be run like a business. It has to make money. It has to turn that money into coaching, developmental programs and an infrastructure that will allow us to find, develop and keep the best young players we have. I don't know how to make it happen. I wish I did.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Limited knows how to make money. And that's what's needed. Run the CSA the way a professional sports franchise is operated. Or better still, maybe the club system should be the main process by which we develop elite players. Isn't that the way they do it in the U.K.?

And maybe I'm crazy. But aren't you ready to try just about anything? Because what we've got isn't working.

Yes it has to change. Not change for the sake of change. We have to start with an end in mind. What Is the goal of the CSA? Does the mission statement fit that goal? Do the day to day activities fit the mission statement. Can we set objective measurements, eg. Success of the national teams at international tournaments, or number of registered players playing at each level of soccer (Level 1 – 7, 7 being house league). Set a plan in place to improve these measurables.

To quote someone on this board "The kids who played U5 YMCA soccer in the 80's' (the start of the mini field ) are now, or soon to be, having kids of there own. They will help pass this passion on to their children. At some point (maybe it has happened) a critical mass of the population will be involved directly in soccer. Then the money people will look to ways to make money from the sport. The MLSE for example, as apposed to whomever owned the blizzard 25 + years ago.

Youth development may be the next big step to improve our presence on the world stage. This will happen, if and only if there is money to be made keeping the youth here in this country.

Rant over again.

quote:Originally posted by nedved9

Hopefully the Saputos and Mr Gillette can get together and and try to bring MLS into Montreal. How is this for a team name. OLYMPIQUE MONTREAL.

Good idea, a partnership. I like Olympique Montreal a lot. I had no idea Gillette was interested in MLS in Canada. I like this idea a lot. Yes, and maybe the Canucks and Kerfoot can join forces. Hell, maybe Toronto can host a second team, and maybe Ottawa can join the fold, too.

I don't think the CSA should be a business, per se. I appreciate what Dobson is getting at, but the CSA should run like Hockey Canada, which means it will need to get clearer-sighted and find more cash etc.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I don't think the CSA should be a business, per se. I appreciate what Dobson is getting at, but the CSA should run like Hockey Canada, which means it will need to get clearer-sighted and find more cash etc.

Hockey Canada does have a ready market and willing media partners to buy rights.

What I don't get is that Hockey Canada with half the player registration and only 30 top pro teams in which to develop players for, can have such success.........year after year...

CSA has twice the player registration, but can't keep players after the U-16, U-20 level.

Hockey Canada does such a great job at the Midget and Junior levels. Check any Provincial Major Midget league, and these players willingly get drafted to Major Junior or Jr A or take the NCAA route. There are only 30 NHL teams.

CSA can't manage to get elite U-16, U-18, or U-20 provincial, let alone national leagues going........and there's 100's of Premier League soccer teams in the world.

To me (only) this is the bottom line. We don't need a national pro league....but it wouldn't hurt.....

We need a national U-20 and provincial ELITE U-18,and U-16 leagues that Premier League teams will scout.

That's what Hockey Canada does so well.

Damn another rant :(

quote:Originally posted by argh1

What I don't get is that Hockey Canada with half the player registration and only 30 top pro teams in which to develop players for, can have such success.........year after year...

CSA has twice the player registration, but can't keep players after the U-16, U-20 level.

Because the older kids in hockey can see a future for it as a career, whereas most older kids in soccer previously did not with no full-time pro option to play for in Canada.

Now there is one, and hopefully we'll have another two in a few years time.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Because the older kids in hockey can see a future for it as a career, whereas most older kids in soccer previously did not with no full-time pro option to play for in Canada.

Now there is one, and hopefully we'll have another two in a few years time.

But you have to admit that there are 20-50-a hundred more top soccer teams in the world compared to hockey?

So why can't we have great Junior and Midget soccer leagues that these top soccer teams world-wide scout?

We have such a hockey infrastructure because players see more opportunity with 30 top teams. Soccer players see no opportunity with 100's of top teams?

I'm missing something, sorry [B)]

Isn't this the global economy?

EDIT:

120 or so young Europeans come every year to play in one of 60 Canadian Major Junior hockey in hopes of making one of the 30 NHL teams.

We can't get 60 European team scouts to come here to see if they can find 50 Canadian Junior or Midget age players in soccer to test their skills in Junior soccer in the 100 so top Europe Junior league teams?

What's wrong?

Interesting about Gillette. I have thought for awhile that with the TFC success, Saputo's dithering on the MLS may ultimately back fire on him. If someone comes in with deep pockets in Montreal, the may get an expansion side there and Saputo may end up with one big empty stadium.

Its funny how things can turn out...heavy emphasis on can.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This is absolutely spot on.

Hockey players see not only one clear path to continue playing, but several: When I'm 14, 15, 16 I can hope for Jr.A or Jr.B or Highschool hockey. I can move on to pro leagues here or in europe, or a can play in the NCAA.

That's why NCAA 'soccer', whatever its shortcomings, is so vital to USMNT and MLS. Because it offers a safety net for every young player in the country. It is practical for kids to continue to play, because they know, at the very least, the NCAA will be there as an option.

quote:Originally posted by ted

Ouch!

How about Montreal Impact? Seriously, why not?

Sorry, my preference would be for Saputo to bring MLS to Montreal, and to keep the Impact as the team name. If Gillette brings a franchise to Montreal, then I am all for Olympique Montreal.

This is great that these people are interested in a MLS franchise. I would rather see a National Training Centre, where kids could continue their education and play soccer. 1 large academy and campus where they can practice year round. I think that would be a more beneficial start to developing our youth. Enrollment for Canadian Citizens only. No exceptions. I think this would encourage our youth to be Canadian and feel Canadian as opposed to playing for a country where their parents are from. If a team from Europe wants a player from the academy. Well, the fee will be adequate compensation with a certain percentage going to the family. Once this is established...then lets feed our new MLS teams with academy graduates. If I am not mistaken, the U.S. has one in Florida.

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

I would rather see a National Training Centre, where kids could continue their education and play soccer. 1 large academy and campus where they can practice year round.

This is precisely what Greg Kerfoot has just launched in Vancouver. A full time residency program, based at Simon Fraser University, where 18 players are housed, schooled and trained full time, year round. All costs are paid for by the Whitecaps.

I just thought it was a National Training facility. Not housing players as well. Are these kids whitecap products and only able to play for the 'caps only? I am hoping that all level of national team members could train there. This is a good start then. Let's hope it grows and turns into something. Although with real estate prices in Vancouver, i would hope we could go somewhre cheaper.

Not to get off topic... but we're very likely to see a residency program put into place now that Nykamp is in charge. He created one at Basketball Canada that will be doing its inaugural year for boys starting this September. The one problem they've encountered is all the best players would rather play high school ball and stay at home rather than take part in it. I suspect this would not at all be a problem with soccer though. Here's some info on the basketball residency program Nykamp put into place.

http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=90

http://www.hooplife.ca/viewArticle.php?id=262

There's also a well-organized soccer-school program for top soccer players here in Quebec

They study during the morning at school

Train during the afternoon at the Laval complex and have time for homework with a teacher there

Those who live too far are hosted by families

The first year is finishing now and it worked great

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

There's also a well-organized soccer-school program for top soccer players here in Quebec

They study during the morning at school

Train during the afternoon at the Laval complex and have time for homework with a teacher there

Those who live too far are hosted by families

The first year is finishing now and it worked great

Do you have a link or a name for that school?

Are there any real estate moguls who are voyageurs and want to invest? I think a residencey program is the way to go and 2-3 more MLs teams....but lets keep our kids on the right track first.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Why is it so important these kids keep going to school? Just play soccer. If it doesnt work out, you can get a GED and do a bridging program into university all within 2 years. Its not so difficult to catch up.

it's important to keep them in school so they don't think the way you have stated and to say the things you have said........i really hope that was a joke.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

This is absolutely spot on.

Hockey players see not only one clear path to continue playing, but several: When I'm 14, 15, 16 I can hope for Jr.A or Jr.B or Highschool hockey. I can move on to pro leagues here or in europe, or a can play in the NCAA.

That's why NCAA 'soccer', whatever its shortcomings, is so vital to USMNT and MLS. Because it offers a safety net for every young player in the country. It is practical for kids to continue to play, because they know, at the very least, the NCAA will be there as an option.

Hockey (and to a lesser extent basketball) also dilutes the pool of elite athletes to draw from. Who knows how many soccer stars could have been made from Canadians who currently play pro hockey? Often times, elite athletes (or those with elite potential) around the ages of 12-14 are excelling in multiple sports and have to choose one. So I am sure that not only have potential talents quit soccer because they don't see a "clear path", but they quit to pursue alternate sports. It would be interesting to know how many top jr. soccer players quit to pursue hockey. In countries where soccer is #1 (and I mean #1 not in number of registrations, but in terms of overall popularity) the elite youth multi-sport athlete chooses soccer.

Archived