Gold Cup - Canada vs. Guadeloupe 06/09 [R]

jpg75

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I've seen this all before. We'll dominate, but the scoreline at fulltime will read:

Guadaloupe 1 v. Canada 0

(I think the Beaver mojo is back!)

So we'll crash out of the tourny 0 and 3? [8D]

from espnsoccernet

The midfield quartet of Julian De Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson, Dwayne De Rosario and Paul Stalteri could be the best in the tournament, and their combination of attacking flair and defensive bite as a unit help Canada's shortcomings on defense. De Guzman's star performance against Costa Rica was particularly inspired, and he looks poised to terrorize defenses at every opportunity

ooooh, baby - have we read anything as this good about Canada vis-a-vis CONCACAF ever?

quote:Originally posted by masster

Dobson's blog says Friend's injury mught be serious and Onstad is gone. The loss of Friend could be huge. I don't know if Gerba can play the single stricker role and hold the ball up as effectivly.

How about having Ian Hume???..Isn't he on the roster??...Hume is huge up top!

quote:Originally posted by red card

from espnsoccernet

The midfield quartet of Julian De Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson, Dwayne De Rosario and Paul Stalteri could be the best in the tournament, and their combination of attacking flair and defensive bite as a unit help Canada's shortcomings on defense. De Guzman's star performance against Costa Rica was particularly inspired, and he looks poised to terrorize defenses at every opportunity

ooooh, baby - have we read anything as this good about Canada vis-a-vis CONCACAF ever?

I dont think I have ever read any thing good about our boys at the Gold Cup in a long time. Good promise indeed.

Well Paul James' comments didn't make it sound if it was that serious, but more minor, that there was a possibility that Friend could play tomorrow.

If he's out long term than that's bad news for our chances of winning the tourney, as there's not a lot of striker depth on this team.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

If Friend is injured I would play De Ro as the lone striker. He's got pace and footwork. Or Hume who is intimidating and will earn some calls for us.

Gerba looked like he had real potential vs Ven. Maybe give him a try?

I think Gerba has potential but needs to settle down a bit. He's sent a few crosses into orbit when he wasn't under heavy pressure. I liked the way he used his strength to hold off the Costa Rican defenders in the corner when Canada were killing time last match. Might be a good target man if Friend's hurt.

For once we have a formation that seems to emphisize our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. Currently our strength is our midfield and our weakness is fhe defence especially CB's and their tendancy to hoof it upfield. Playing 4-1-4-1 with Nash distributing the ball foreward from the defence removes one concern, at the same time it allows Deguzeman and Hutchinson to push foreward, not be so defenively oriented and be more creative which plays to their stregth.

Keep the formation, switch Onstad for Sutton, if Friend is injured try Gerba in that role, if Bernier is injured put in Hume otherwise don't mess with something that works instead try to recreate it.

I don't know. Expecting the lads to take it easier today, but not so easy as to not come away with a comfortable 3 points. Playing again on Monday is absolute nonsense but whatever. Smart thing is to do as little as possible to win and save the legs.

As to Guadeloupe, I'm thinking they shot their bullet Friday and might just be a little less impressive for the rest of the tourny.

Canada-2 Guadeloupe-nil.

quote:Originally posted by ken

For once we have a formation that seems to emphisize our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. Currently our strength is our midfield and our weakness is fhe defence especially CB's and their tendancy to hoof it upfield. Playing 4-1-4-1 with Nash distributing the ball foreward from the defence removes one concern, at the same time it allows Deguzeman and Hutchinson to push foreward, not be so defenively oriented and be more creative which plays to their stregth.

Keep the formation, switch Onstad for Sutton, if Friend is injured try Gerba in that role, if Bernier is injured put in Hume otherwise don't mess with something that works instead try to recreate it.

Could not agree more. Nash in the holding role is a big reason why we didn't see the defenders hoofing it forward at every chance.

quote:Originally posted by Splaty

Could not agree more. Nash in the holding role is a big reason why we didn't see the defenders hoofing it forward at every chance.

Hey, I think you two are on the same wavelength as me. I feel the love . . . group hug!

It's to bad that having one of the greatest ever Canadian teams not a word in the printed media today or yesterday ,Star and Globe. What else is new.

I wonder if there is any Canadian media covering our team.The Stanley Cup is no longer an excuse.

I wonder how our team feels about that.

what we should all be doing is writing, phoning, and harassing the newspapers to cover the team. fulltime. not part time. not some lame marginal scoreline on the stats page. also, what we should each be doing is starting a canada soccer blog. one guy can do a videos thing. another guy can collect articles about established pros. another person can talk about the young guns. i think if we start a ton of blogs and sites that widen the coverage, it will shame the canadian media. these tired reporters who know nothing of the game are not worth berating about their lack of knowledge or coverage. we should just do it bigger and better. this site is a nice starting point, but it in a way needs to expand. also, someone should propose to the CSA to help maintain their information. and they need a redesign on their website as well. its rather 1999. eventually a few of us might even get gigs as writers or journalists! who knows!! the opinions here are much more informed and developed than any canadian sports journalist who does a bit of research before jumping on to have to write the occasional and obligatory soccer piece! we need stronger and more diverse opinions and coverage! who wants to do some blogs??

CONCACAF GOLD CUPCosta Rica hopes to recover tonight

A favorite to win its group, Costa Rica hopes to erase a 'disastrous' loss to Canada in the first game by beating Haiti tonight.

BY SANTOS A. PEREZ

sperez@MiamiHerald.com

http://www.miamiherald.com/628/story/134175.html

....Medford cited second-half defensive lapses as Costa Rica's downfall against Canada, which will play its second group match against Guadeloupe at 7 tonight.

''Up until the 70th minute, it was a very even match,'' Medford said. ``The final 20 minutes proved disastrous for us in the back. That is something that we need to sit down, discuss and correct.''

Veteran forward Rolando Fonseca, a member of Costa Rica's 2002 World Cup team, acknowledges the squad can't overlook its remaining opponents.

''Every team in our group has to be respected,'' Fonseca said. ``They all have possibilities of winning. You cannot take anyone lightly.''

Canada, meanwhile, can become the first team in the group to qualify for the second time with a victory against Guadeloupe.

''Beating Costa Rica helps us build our confidence for the next game,'' Canada forward Dwayne De Rosario said. ``You get a good start and it goes into the next game and the next game, so this win was very good for us.''

But Canada coach Stephen Hart said his squad can't dwell on the victory over Costa Rica because it has two group matches still remaining.

''We've done nothing; we beat a good team but that's all it is,'' Hart said. ``We have to maybe enjoy it just for [Wednesday] and then start regrouping and see how we are going to approach the next game.

``We are not thinking ahead of anything.''....

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Onstad isn't listed (so I guess he's back with Houston, but might be back witht he team since Houston aren,t playing until june 21 after this week end).

I think Onstat has a suspension so if he gets back on their roster for this game it's time served, otherwise he'd be missing the next game.

Archived