Canadians abroad: January 26 - February 1, 2007

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete (in particular, American college matches, which are broadcast by FSWC, are not included) or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC and GolTV Canada repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Saturday, January 27

10:00 AM on FSWC — England/Wales: English FA Cup - Fourth Round

Tottenham (Paul Stalteri) vs. Southend

Tuesday, January 30

2:00 PM on GolTV Canada — Germany: Bundesliga

Bayern München vs. Bochum (Daniel Imhof)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for January 26 - February 1, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Is Stalteri listed in the line up or bench for Spurs in the FA Cup today?

According to Sky Sports, he's starting:

http://home.skysports.com/opta/football/sky/mc/en/f2779296/index.html

Also,

Radzinski is set to start in Fullham's FA Cup match against Stoke City.

Jamie Peters is set to start in Ipswich's FA Cup match against Swansea.

Hume is starting for Leicester in their Championship match against Cardiff.

Dodds is on the bench for Kilmarnock in their SPL match vs. Falkirk

With 1½ month to Danish league start, AC Horsens played their very first training match today, beating the German 3rd level team Lübeck 2-1, with Canadian Ali Gerba (currently on trial at AC Horsens) scoring both goals for the Danish side.

http://www.bolddk.com/nyt/?vis=64955

A few days ago AC Horsen asked Gerba to stay on trial for one more week, to have a closer look and watch him in action before making the final decision if they want to sign a contract or not. So far so good for Ali Gerba.

Peters played 90 in the Ipswich FA Cup win. From this report, it sounds like Peters had a good game:

Ipswich 1-0 Swansea: Lee on the spot

PA

Alan Lee's second-half penalty ensured Championship side Ipswich a safe passage into the FA Cup fifth round with a 1-0 home triumph at the expense of League One giant-killers Swansea.

The Town striker broke the deadlock from the spot in the 64th minute but Swansea, riding high in League One, matched the Tractor Boys for long periods.

Ultimately, however, Kenny Jackett's men bowed out with their pride intact and reputation enhanced after dumping Premiership Sheffield United 3-0 out in the previous round.

The Swans received a boost prior to kick-off when Thomas Butler overcame a hip injury picked up in Tuesday night's 2-0 win over Gillingham.

Butler struck twice in the previous round's win at Bramall Lane to help fire Swansea into the last 32 and set up the clash with the Tractor Boys.

Swansea defender Izzy Iriekpen found himself in unfamiliar territory inside the second minute when he hit a fierce shot from 18 yards which required a fine block from Gavin Williams.

Swans striker Adebayo Akinfenwa then found space to curl a neat right-foot shot just wide of the far post.

Ipswich, however, soon established a firm foothold on the game and a steady stream of crosses by Jaime Peters led to several nervous moments in the visitors' ranks.

Town midfielder Billy Clarke hit a superb left-foot shot from 18 yards which drew a smart stop from Willy Gueret.

Peters then fired over in the 19th minute as Ipswich threatened to make the breakthrough.

Further efforts from Clarke and Sylvain Legwinski narrowly missed the target, before Swansea began to create chances themselves as the half wore on.

Shortly after the half-hour Leon Britton produced a cross which Butler met with a mi**** shot that failed to trouble Ipswich goalkeeper Lewis Price.

But the hosts threatened again seven minutes before the break when Gary Roberts crossed for Lee, who headed wastefully over the crossbar.

Legwinski tested Swansea goalkeeper Willy Gueret two minutes after the break with a drilled effort, but Swansea came even closer moments later when winger Andy Robinson was denied by an excellent close-range parry from Price.

The visitors threatened again soon after when Adebayo Akinfenwa hit a shot which required a fine block from Fabian Wilnis.

Remarkably, Swansea threatened once again when Trinidad and Tobago defender Dennis Lawrence hit a 30-yard screamer which almost broke the deadlock.

In the 64th minute a goal was scored, but it came from Ipswich as Lee fired home his 12th of the season from the spot after Tom Williams fouled Peters.

Swansea boss Jackett threw on Lee Trundle and Pawel Abbott and the move looked to have paid dividends.

Trundle made an immediate impact and saw a header saved by Price before hitting a shot which flashed narrowly wide.

Then, in the last minute, Ipswich were left breathing a sigh of relief after Abbott connected with Marcos Painter's cross and Price produced another fine save to send his side into the last 16.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=212834&cc=5901

Serioux out to make impact with FCD

Canadian defender hopes to injuct toughness into Hoops

By Steve Hunt / MLSnet.com Staff

Adrian Serioux spent some time with the Canadian national team this offseason. (Kent Horner/MLS/WireImage.com)

FRISCO, Texas -- Barely two months ago, Adrian Serioux was playing at Pizza Hut Park in MLS Cup 2006 for Houston Dynamo. The boys from the Bayou City captured the hardware that November day, and Serioux was in the starting 11. Just a matter of weeks later, Serioux changed sides as he was first taken by Toronto FC in the expansion draft and subsequently traded to FC Dallas in a deal involving all-star midfielder Ronnie O'Brien.

When asked about acquiring Serioux last November, FCD president and general manager Michael Hitchcock said that a major reason why the Hoops brought in the Canadian international was because of his reputation as a physical player. Hitchcock admitted that a mean streak was something that was definitely lacking from the FCD back line in 2006.

Fresh off a camp with the Canadian national team in Florida, Serioux is ready to begin his first preseason with FCD and is looking forward to meeting his new mates.

"It's a great opportunity for me," he said. "Sometimes, you have to look at change as being a good thing. I know that (new head coach) Steve Morrow is doing the best job that he can on his end trying to do what he can to put together the best team that he can organize to go out there and do the job day in and day out."

On April 22, things will get a bit interesting for Serioux when Dynamo pay their first visit to Frisco since winning the Alan I. Rothenberg Trophy on penalty kicks against the New England Revolution.

"Yes, it will definitely be weird (playing against them)," Serioux said. "To win the championship last year with a great group of guys and to now be playing for the team that we considered the enemy as our in-state rival, it's going to be difficult. I will have to take it in stride. Everyone is my friend off the field but on the field, it's a business and my job. I will shut down whoever I have to shut down for us to win."

Serioux relishes the fact that he is being asked to bring some much-needed toughness to the Hoops' back line.

"When it all changed was when I went to England (in 2004)," he said. "I had to adapt to that style of play over there. It's a very physical game over there and I brought that to Houston last year. I've been perceived as a rough guy out there and that's just my style of play. (Morrow) is looking at me to bring some toughness to the team and to encourage some other guys to have that kind of fire. If I can do that, it will be great."

Training with his countrymen in the Sunshine State earlier this month is something Serioux feels could help him immensely in preparing for the 2007 MLS campaign.

"It's great," he said. "It was an unbelievable camp. We're going thought a transition where we are looking for a new coach. I talked to Steve while I was down there and told him that this was my preseason before preseason, where I get an opportunity to get into shape before I come into camp. It's always an opportunity and privilege to play for your country. Hopefully, doing that will allow me to go into camp a step ahead of everybody else."

Serioux will play a key role in the Hoops' back four, most likely as a center back. That is where he played for the bulk of 2006 for Dynamo, although he also saw time in central midfield, including in the MLS Cup Final. No matter where he plays, the 27-year-old Serioux will be a big part of what many see as being a greatly improved back line for the Hoops in 2007.

Steve Hunt is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

Glad to see Serioux pinpointed for center back for Dallas. We certainly need cover for that position. With McKenna our only center back playing consistently at a high level, we need as much depth as possible in this position. With Serioux in Dallas, Reda at Toronto FC and Stewart a Real Salt Lake, we add 3 MLS center backs to this mix. Not sure if Nsaliwa is still playing center back for Panionios but he would merit the possibility as well. And then of course we have Hainault at Most and Edgar at Newcastle although I think those two are both at least a year or two a way from being relied on as an effective partner for McKenna.

Wagenaar in for Zwinkels at the half for ADO den Haag vs FC Twente. It's 2-1 Twente and Wagenaar was in net for the second goal.

The first Twente goal was the result of a blunder by the ADO keeper and since it's not the first one this season they substituted him.

Final score: 3-1.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Wagenaar in for Zwinkels at the half for ADO den Haag vs FC Twente. It's 2-1 Twente and Wagenaar was in net for the second goal.

The first Twente goal was the result of a blunder by the ADO keeper and since it's not the first one this season they substituted him.

You know the gaffers pissed when an uninjured 'keeper gets sub'd.

Earlier with Celtic visiting, for the umpteenth time Richard Hastings started and played the duration. Celtic left it for a late added time goal winning 2-1. Probably the crowd of the year in Inverness at 7,500. Half of them Tims I'm sure.

Deportiva La Coruna are away to Real Zaragoza and The Guz got another start. Late in the 2nd by now with Deportiva leading 1-nil. Good to see, hope he's comfortable and playing well.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Final score: 3-1.

Fantastic, can't wait to hear how Josh played. Hopefully he wasn't at fault for the 2 second half goals.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Fantastic, can't wait to hear how Josh played. Hopefully he wasn't at fault for the 2 second half goals.

Josh wasn't at fault for he 2 goals and for the rest he din't have anything to do (that's according to an ADO fan).

It will be interesting to see if he starts the next game. Postma has recover from his injury but hasn't played a reserve game yet so I don,t think he's match fit. Josh has a golden chance to win the #1 spot.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Stalteri plays 90 as Tottenham easily outplayed Southend United

in FA Cup action, 3-1. I only saw the first half, but he played

well on the left side. Spurs' new purchase from Benfica, Rocha,

also started.

I thought Lee was on the left, Stalteri on the right?

I only saw the first half, too. I liked his cross to Keane and later his foray into the box.

Archived