Canadians abroad: January 26 - February 1, 2007

DJT

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I thought Lee was on the left, Stalteri on the right?

I only saw the first half, too. I liked his cross to Keane and later his foray into the box.

He was definitely on the right.

Guest Jeffery S.

Did not see the Depor game, but from reports Julian started beside Duscher in the middle, who was subbed off for Juan Rodríguez early second half. Julian then got forward a bit more, even got a cross in from in deep at the start of the 2nd half. Seems to have been marking Aimar amongst others for Zaragoza. Think this is four games without a loss for the team, playing well away and in the mix for a UEFA spot.

Reports this week from Coruña confirm Duscher will definitely leave the team, if not now at the end of the season. That could mean he gets less playing time if the coach decides to go with those with more future on the squad.

Depor plays Valladolid 1st leg quarter finals fo the Kings Cup this midweek. Will they continue to use 2nd stringers or will they start to play more regular league starters -like De G- as the Cup moves into its decisive phase?

Sport

PETERS AND LEE CALL THE TUNE FOR IPSWICH

BY MICK COLLINS

271 words

28 January 2007

The Mail on Sunday

English

© 2007 Associated Newspapers. All rights reserved

IPSWICH 1

Lee (64 pen)

SWANSEA 0

POTENTIALLY it was an awkward afternoon for Ipswich, but with Swansea looking a shadow of the side who embarrassed Sheffield United in the last round, it was a job, despite the occasional scare, calmly done.

The pace and invention of Ipswich's Canadian midfielder Jaime Peters, who spent a productive afternoon operating on either flank, highlighting the defensive limitations of Swansea's Tom Williams, was at the heart of his side's best work.

With Jim Magilton's side enjoying the vast majority of possession, the visitors made the most of what little of the ball they managed to secure, while Peters carved out a series of chances his Ipswich colleagues conspired to leave unconverted.

Peters and Sylvain Legwinski went close to beating Swansea keeper Willy Gueret and Billy Clarke's dipping volley also caused a stir.

Swansea created the occasional second-half chance, with Fabian Wilnis' desperate challenge denying Adebayo Akinfenwa.

The winner arrived in the 64th minute. Peters was pulled back chasing a cross, by the hapless Williams, earning a penalty for Ipswich from which Alan Lee sent Gueret the wrong way.

IPSWICH (4-4-2): Price; Wilnis, Naylor (Casement 61min), Sito, Harding; Legwinski, Williams (Haynes 85), Peters, Roberts; Lee, Clarke (Garvan 69). Subs (not used): Supple, O'Callaghan. Booked: Lee, Sito. SWANSEA (4-4-2): Gueret; Williams (Painter 85), Lawrence, Duffy, Iriekpen; Butler, Pratley (Trundle 66), Tate, Britton; Akinfenwa (Abbott 78), Robinson. Subs (not used): Oakes, Jones. Booked: Pratley, Robinson, Gueret, Williams, Tate, Britton, Duffy. Referee: N Miller (Co Durham).

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar did not dress (cards, injury?) as Gondomar drew Olhanense scoreless away, to stay within 5 points of promotion to top flight Portugal. Team on a good streak.

Liga de Honra now has a sponsor, called Liga Vitalis.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Glad to see Serioux pinpointed for center back for Dallas. We certainly need cover for that position. With McKenna our only center back playing consistently at a high level, we need as much depth as possible in this position. With Serioux in Dallas, Reda at Toronto FC and Stewart a Real Salt Lake, we add 3 MLS center backs to this mix. Not sure if Nsaliwa is still playing center back for Panionios but he would merit the possibility as well. And then of course we have Hainault at Most and Edgar at Newcastle although I think those two are both at least a year or two a way from being relied on as an effective partner for McKenna.

Looking forward to seeing his continued development as a centre back. Making the transition from midfield means he's still a work in progress, but his pace and other physical attributes may make him a good complement for McKenna with the MNT. Maybe he has found his niche?

The CSA should contact him and tell him if he doesn't show up by the GC, he will not be called by Canada for the next WCQ cycle. Simple as that. Ultimatum. he isn't so young, and the solidifying his position at feyenoord excuse doesnt work anymore. the time to decide is now.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

The CSA should contact him and tell him if he doesn't show up by the GC, he will not be called by Canada for the next WCQ cycle. Simple as that. Ultimatum. he isn't so young, and the solidifying his position at feyenoord excuse doesnt work anymore. the time to decide is now.

That is exactly what we should not do. It is not wise to shut the door on one of our best potential players especially when he has not yet even gone to another team's camp. Besides that the CSA or any similar organization would not do that because they would then get blamed for him choosing another side even if he would have done so anyway. Look at how much the CSA gets unfairly blamed for Hargreaves being cut as an underager from a youth team and imagine what they would go through if they made an ultimatum for DeGuzman.

Eurosport had a feature on Jonathan today on their weekly Eurogoals program. Showed a bunch of his goals, showed Julian celebrating his goal against Real, and interviewed Jono about coming to Europe from Canada at age 12. He said twice that "soccer isn't that big in Canada," but otherwise nothing about international involvement. Otherwise he came across as a typical 19 year-old Canadian kid.

Definately don't think ultimatums are the way to go. Let guys like Rob Friend and Will Johnson do the persuading. Or Lensky as long as he's with us.

More news on Riley O'Neill from an article in the Vancouver Sun on Jan 25th by Dan Stinson. Here are some segments of the article:

Riley O'Neill will attempt to land a contract with either Danish First division club OB Odense or German Second Division club Kaiserslautern before making a decision to try out for the Vancouver Whitecaps.

He has been trying out with a number of European clubs since December, and said a contract with OB Odense appears to be the most likely development at this stage of his career. "My agent has been in talks with Odense [officials] and tells me that the club is very close to reaching an agreement," O'Neill said from Odense. "I've been trying out with Odense the past few weeks after my trials in Germany. Its looking likely that I'll sign with Odense - probably on a one year deal."

He said Kaiserslautern has also expressed interest in signing him to a contract.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by masster

More news on Riley O'Neill from an article in the Vancouver Sun on Jan 25th by Dan Stinson. Here are some segments of the article:

Riley O'Neill will attempt to land a contract with either Danish First division club OB Odense or German Second Division club Kaiserslautern before making a decision to try out for the Vancouver Whitecaps.

He has been trying out with a number of European clubs since December, and said a contract with OB Odense appears to be the most likely development at this stage of his career. "My agent has been in talks with Odense [officials] and tells me that the club is very close to reaching an agreement," O'Neill said from Odense. "I've been trying out with Odense the past few weeks after my trials in Germany. Its looking likely that I'll sign with Odense - probably on a one year deal."

He said Kaiserslautern has also expressed interest in signing him to a contract.

Odense is a strong club, usually in UEFA spots, so I think the move is good. Maybe better chance at playing time and the league is visible, a good place to jump up from.

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Definately don't think ultimatums are the way to go. Let guys like Rob Friend and Will Johnson do the persuading. Or Lensky as long as he's with us.

I think another good way of helping to convince him to our national program would be to hire a top notch coach.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Jamie Peters starts for Ipswich away to Stoke. Currently 0-0 in the 35th minute.

As I posted before on these boards, the audio is here:

mms://a1672.l609521671.c6095.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1672/6095/v0001/reflector:21671

The commentators just said that Peters has been playing good defence. Now let us get some offense!

James Wadsworth

http://canuckreport.blogspot.com/

Imhof an unused sub in Bochum's nil - nil draw with Bayern Munich.

Ipswich and Stoke also end at nil - nil. Peters goes the distance in what must've been a barnburner - Ipswich with three attempts, two on goal and Stoke ohfer their five attempts at goal.

Hume has some competition now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ty/6318449.stm

"Leicester have signed Geoff Horsfield and Mark Yeates on loan until the end of the season.

Veteran striker Horsfield, 33, joins from Sheffield United while forward Yeates, 22, signs from Tottenham.

"We have been after Geoff for a while but have not had the finances to do the deal," Foxes manager Rob Kelly told the club's website.

"Mark is a talented young player. He can play on either side and gives us something different to what we've got."

The double signing follows the departure of Gareth Williams to Watford earlier on Wednesday's transfer deadline. "

Guest Jeffery S.

Once again Julian does not figure for Deportivo in the Cup, they beat Valladolid 4-1 and go back there in a month sure to qualify for the semi finals. I think the coach will go for youth and non-regular starters again in that match, while Julian should continue as a starter in league games.

Tromsø did not sell Stephen Ademolu to Trelleborg, and have told him he will now be considered solely as a striker.

Ademolu startet alongside Sigurd Rushfeld in an intrasquad match yesterday and responded with 2 goals and an assist as his team (with Kenny in goal) won 6-1. Rushfeld, who returned to Tromsø last year after a long stint abroad and was an undisputed starter ever since, was quoted after the game as saying he is worried Ademolu will squeeze him out of the starting lineup if he keeps playing that well.

Archived