Canadians abroad: October 20-26, 2006

DJT

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Why aren't we doing JDG2 anymore?

He played 51 minutes, after which he was subbed off because of a yellow card.

Feyenoord had two reds and lost 0-4 to Ajax.

"Dwight Tiendalli and Jonathan De Guzman both had early chances, with Tiendalli forcing Maarten Stekelenburg into a good save."

From Soccernet's match summary: 7 yellow cards for dissent between 53' and 86'.

Feyenoord coach Koeman sick of his players

By Theo Ruizenaar

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Feyenoord coach Erwin Koeman does not want to see his players for several days after their humiliating 4-0 home defeat by arch-rivals Ajax.

Koeman told his squad after Sunday's rout that they could stay home until Wednesday, when they will start preparing for next weekend's home match against Twente Enschede, fourth in the Dutch league six points above the struggling Rotterdam side.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The players can stay at home for two days and think about what went wrong," a club spokesman said on Monday.

Feyenoord, ninth with 10 points after eight matches, made an ambitious start against the league leaders with three goal attempts in the first 10 minutes.

But after Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's 12th-minute opener the resistance was broken and Ajax dominated the match and created 16 chances.

It was Feyenoord's biggest home defeat against the Amsterdam side since 1995, when Ajax thrashed them 5-0.

In those days, though, Ajax were on their way to winning the Champions League with one of their best teams ever, whereas the current squad failed to beat FC Copenhagen in the third qualifying round of Europe's top club competition.

"All our weaknesses were revealed," said a stunned Koeman. "We should be glad they scored only four goals. This was the worst match under my command."

For some years Feyenoord had the most prolific attack in the Netherlands, with Dirk Kuyt and Salomon Kalou, but since they left in the off-season the 2002 UEFA Cup winners look toothless.

Pierre van Hooijdonk, who said last week he would retire at the end of the season, is a pinch hitter and new signing Angelos Haristeas, who came over from Ajax, has struggled with injuries and failed to find the net in the matches he has played.

Feyenoord's critical financial situation is at the root of a crisis that has put chairman Jorien van den Herik under fire.

The club received over 20 million euros ($25 million) for Kuyt and Kalou, but the management was forced to use most of the money to erase debts instead of investing in the squad.

Therefore, Koeman does not have to fear for his future, though finishing in the top five and reaching the playoffs will still be his target.

Loyal fans, however, are looking to get rid of the chairman and open the door for new investors. They believe that is the only way to bring their team back to the top.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

By Theo Ruizenaar

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Feyenoord coach Erwin Koeman does not want to see his players for several days after their humiliating 4-0 home defeat by arch-rivals Ajax.

Koeman told his squad after Sunday's rout that they could stay home until Wednesday, when they will start preparing for next weekend's home match against Twente Enschede, fourth in the Dutch league six points above the struggling Rotterdam side.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The players can stay at home for two days and think about what went wrong," a club spokesman said on Monday.

Feyenoord, ninth with 10 points after eight matches, made an ambitious start against the league leaders with three goal attempts in the first 10 minutes.

But after Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's 12th-minute opener the resistance was broken and Ajax dominated the match and created 16 chances.

It was Feyenoord's biggest home defeat against the Amsterdam side since 1995, when Ajax thrashed them 5-0.

In those days, though, Ajax were on their way to winning the Champions League with one of their best teams ever, whereas the current squad failed to beat FC Copenhagen in the third qualifying round of Europe's top club competition.

"All our weaknesses were revealed," said a stunned Koeman. "We should be glad they scored only four goals. This was the worst match under my command."

For some years Feyenoord had the most prolific attack in the Netherlands, with Dirk Kuyt and Salomon Kalou, but since they left in the off-season the 2002 UEFA Cup winners look toothless.

Pierre van Hooijdonk, who said last week he would retire at the end of the season, is a pinch hitter and new signing Angelos Haristeas, who came over from Ajax, has struggled with injuries and failed to find the net in the matches he has played.

Feyenoord's critical financial situation is at the root of a crisis that has put chairman Jorien van den Herik under fire.

The club received over 20 million euros ($25 million) for Kuyt and Kalou, but the management was forced to use most of the money to erase debts instead of investing in the squad.

Therefore, Koeman does not have to fear for his future, though finishing in the top five and reaching the playoffs will still be his target.

Loyal fans, however, are looking to get rid of the chairman and open the door for new investors. They believe that is the only way to bring their team back to the top.

What went wrong Erwin is that you sold at least two top players in the summer, decapitated the team without getting anyone reliable to replace them, and have failed to train them accordingly so they might be tougher on the field and not so flamboyant.

You screwed up.

So I suggest you fire yourself, but only after whipping your bottom with your clip board for an hour and a half.

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

TIL, with Bernier and Ademolu both going 90 min in the midfield, win 2-1 over Occean and LSK. TIL have no moved into the qualification spot with two games remaining.

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

TIL, with Bernier and Ademolu both going 90 min in the midfield, win 2-1 over Occean and LSK. TIL have no moved into the qualification spot with two games remaining.

According to all reports the result was very unfair. LSK dictated play but you have to score more goals than your opponent to win :D

Also, Bernier was interviewed on the local tv station about the season, the LSK-game and the future. It can be found here:

http://media.ta.no/aplayer/tvtromso/pl.php?ID=366&mm=1

It's about 10 minute long interview and can be found using the dropdown menu to "TIL-magasinet" or set the stream to 12min 40sec.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

What went wrong Erwin is that you sold at least two top players in the summer, decapitated the team without getting anyone reliable to replace them, and have failed to train them accordingly so they might be tougher on the field and not so flamboyant.

You screwed up.

So I suggest you fire yourself, but only after whipping your bottom with your clip board for an hour and a half.

One must consider though that it is often not the coach who makes the decisions about who is bought and sold and this is usually dependent on the financial state of the club (not all clubs have the endless supply of money that your beloved Barca seems to have ;)). Given this it may also be wrong to blame the players because it is also not their fault that their best teammates were sold. However, only a poor coach would tell the players they simply aren't good enough (I remember Yallop doing this with CNT after WCQ) which while it might protect his own ass/reputation is not going to motivate them. All the coach can do is work with the players he has and try to motivate them however possible.

Tam sure can jump pretty high for someone of his height. From the place where he is on the field for the goal it seems like he is playing as an offensive midfielder which may indeed be his natural position but may not be good for us if he comes back to the MNT.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Hey,

Just read on football365.com that, "Wigan are tracking FC Copenhagen midfielder Atiba Hutchinson."

Seems Atiba's Champions league and Domestic league performances have not gone unnoticed by some of the big boys.

He had attracted attention from Udinese and Birmingham City before moving to FCK.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

Hey,

Just read on football365.com that, "Wigan are tracking FC Copenhagen midfielder Atiba Hutchinson."

Seems Atiba's Champions league and Domestic league performances have not gone unnoticed by some of the big boys.

The danish newsmedia writes that Wigan Manager Paul Jewell was having a look at Atiba Hutchinson at Old Trafford last week, and that he was impressed. The question is if you can consider Wigan to be a step in the right direction.. Ofcause the EPL is a better league with much better opponents, but Wigan itself is surley not a step up in quality in compare with FCK, neither in the quality of team-mates or the quality of training. Not to forget that at FCK he's a regular starter and is sure to play top CL or UEFA cup games every year.

In response to Ceres' question, I think Atiba would be better to stay at Copenhagen over Wigan, for all reasons he listed .... regular starter, CL, UEFA Cup, etc.

Next step should be to Germany where our players have more development success than in the EPL.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

In response to Ceres' question, I think Atiba would be better to stay at Copenhagen over Wigan, for all reasons he listed .... regular starter, CL, UEFA Cup, etc.

I'm not so sure about that. From the few games I've seen FCK play, I've been really unimpressed with his supporting cast. I think a little competition for a spot and being surrounded by more skillful players would do him good. You've got to be challenged to grow as a player.

I don't think Wigan would be a bad move.

I think the EPL would be a good move for Atiba, maybe he would lose the CL and UEFA games but he would have 50 quality games per year with a club like Wigan. The weekly danish games against Vejle or Viborg don't do him any good IMO, I think he would be better in the Bundesliga, the EPL or one of the top clubs in Holland.

I also feel a move to Wigan would be a good step up, though must admit I'd rather see him in Germany next. EPL is fast football, and Wigan ain't so bad. Still, Atiba is certainly in a great position: He's getting better and better with a good club, he's still young, and he's not in any rush to advance his career (though he is doing everything to advance it on his terms.) Atiba may still get a better offer/situation.

Think Hutch would do more for Wigan than Wigan would do for Hutch. Speaking outside of the paycheck of course. And I think Jewell could work him in very easily, and very nicely into the squad.

Still they (Wigan) are more about piss & vinegar than quality, but not half bad all the same. I must add I'm basing this on the one CL match I've seen him play and the seven or eight times over the last year and a bit that I've seen of Wigan.

League Cup: Leceister lost 3-2 in the last minute of extra time against EPL Aston Villa. Hume played the whole game and did very well according to the press. The first Leceister goal was on a rebound after a Hume shot.

Very positive stuff from Hume lately.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I'm not so sure about that. From the few games I've seen FCK play, I've been really unimpressed with his supporting cast. I think a little competition for a spot and being surrounded by more skillful players would do him good. You've got to be challenged to grow as a player..

Well, the fact is that so far you have not really seen Atiba play his favorite/usual position in central midfield for FCK, because Grønkjaer is injured, meaning that ther was alot of unfortunate changes being made in central midfield, attack and left wing position just before the CL kicked off.

FCK had just sold their shared topscorer from last season, the Brazilian, Alvaro Santos, to sign a new and more talented Brazilian, Ailton Almeida, (paying €3 million), but it all happened right before the CL deadline and unfortunately his club said no to all further offers to let Ailton go in time for him to be eligible for the CL Group stage. Allbäck (62 caps and 27 goals for Sweden) is no doubt a top class striker, but he's more of a hardworking goal poacher, while Fredrik Berglund (10 caps and 2 goals for Sweden) was only suppose to be 3rd forward in a kind of squad rotation. So without Ailton in attack and then suddenly also Grønkjaer getting injured and Atiba being moved away from central midfield, it's hardly all that surprising that their attacking play so far has not looked all that impressive in Champions League.

However, would Wigan have looked better in CL than this somewhat decimated FCK team ?... I seriously doubt so, but then a team like Wigan is probably happy just to survive in the EPL, while it's no secret that FCK got the declared ambition to become one of the 25 biggest teams in Europe, both financially as well as on the pitch. They btw now also have in mind to buy a 2nd level English side and add it to their business.

I think Wigan could very well be a disaster from a development perspective for a player with such bright prospects. With a team like Wigan, clinging to survive in the top flight, one bad outing can effectively lead to a wasted season or two (see McKenna, Brennan, and others). It's not like he'll get more Champions League work with Wigan.

This FCK gig looks just right for now.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think Wigan could very well be a disaster from a development perspective for a player with such bright prospects. With a team like Wigan, clinging to survive in the top flight, one bad outing can effectively lead to a wasted season or two (see McKenna, Brennan, and others). It's not like he'll get more Champions League work with Wigan.

This FCK gig looks just right for now.

You're totally right that it could be a disaster but it could also go the other way as well. True they are sitting in 15th right now with 8 points, but last year Wigan finished 10th. I think the term "clinging to survive in the top flight" would be better used for discussing teams like Watford and the like, but that's just my opinion. No big deal.

I thought Loyola made a good point about playing top class competition day in and day out. Yes, he would miss the 8-10 games (max.) per year in the CL, but that would be made up for with the EPL season.

In the end though it's a crap shoot. He's made all the right decisions so far leading up to FCK (glad he didn't go to Saturn like some here would've liked) and hopefully his next move will be as fruitful.

And Ceres, I didn't mean to get your back up, but every time I've watched FCK they've been disappointing. I realize they are missing Gronkjaer but none of Silberbauer, Norregaard, Gravgaard and Hangeland seemed to be able to put two passes together. I trust your judgement as you see them more often, but I haven't been completely sold on them yet. Hopefully their next couple games will be televised here as well. However, if the opportunity arises for Hutch to move on to a bigger league (be it EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga etc.) I would hope that he'd consider it and not just be content with a starting position and a handful of CL games per year. That's all.

I'd be very suprised to see Hutchinson go to Wigan for a number of reasons. From what we've been told FCK is not a club that signs players with the hope of quickly moving them on; they paid a good price to get him and would have to get a lot more to move him this quickly; Wigan does not strike me as the type of team to pay a lot for what is- in english terms- an unknown player, I would think they would pay for an older name as Bolton does. Further Wigan is a bubble team, likely to go back to the championship before too long ( Staltrei turned down Crystal Palace a few years ago likely for the same reasons). Finally that is not how Hutchinson has handled his career so far, he has always stuck with his chosen team for a few years despite interest and offers.

By the way is the Ailton that ceres mentioned the same Ailton that used to play with Werder Bremen?

quote:Originally posted by ken

I'd be very suprised to see Hutchinson go to Wigan for a number of reasons. From what we've been told FCK is not a club that signs players with the hope of quickly moving them on; they paid a good price to get him and would have to get a lot more to move him this quickly; Wigan does not strike me as the type of team to pay a lot for what is- in english terms- an unknown player, I would think they would pay for an older name as Bolton does. Further Wigan is a bubble team, likely to go back to the championship before too long ( Staltrei turned down Crystal Palace a few years ago likely for the same reasons). Finally that is not how Hutchinson has handled his career so far, he has always stuck with his chosen team for a few years despite interest and offers.

By the way is the Ailton that ceres mentioned the same Ailton that used to play with Werder Bremen?

Ailton that used to play with Werder Bremen is now with Red Star Belgrade with about 3 other clubs in between (Bremen -> Schalke end of 2005; Schalke -> Besiktas -> Hamburger during 2005-2006 season (on loan?); Hamburger -> Besiktas (2006); Besiktas to Belgrade.

Archived