Canada vs USA U20 friendly - July 7 at Toronto

jasonm

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think between 10 and 15K is reasonnable for that game considering that the USA aren't Brazil.

With the amount of selling time for this game (which isn't much, a little over a month) and its rather un-important nature (in the middle of the World Cup, in fact on the eve of the World Cup final weekend, the City won't exactly be focussing on a meaningless U20 Canada-US friendly) I think those numbers are a bit optimistic, and I'm an optimistic guy.

You also have to remember the Canadian men haven't been here in a long while, so this match is the first step in re-building the Canadian national team market here, hopefully to the extent that it gets larger here than it ever was. Getting 15K for the first match of that re-building process would be fantastic, and if it happens I expect we'll have the MLSE marketing efforts to largely thank for it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think between 10 and 15K is reasonnable for that game considering that the USA aren't Brazil.

With the amount of selling time for this game (which isn't much, a little over a month) and its rather un-important nature (in the middle of the World Cup, in fact on the eve of the World Cup final weekend, the City won't exactly be focussing on a meaningless U20 Canada-US friendly) I think those numbers are a bit optimistic, and I'm an optimistic guy.

You also have to remember the Canadian men haven't been here in a long while, so this match is the first step in re-building the Canadian national team market here, hopefully to the extent that it gets larger here than it ever was. Getting 15K for the first match of that re-building process would be fantastic, and if it happens I expect we'll have the MLSE marketing efforts to largely thank for it.

Good point about the possability of promoting the match during the WC. Who knows if that will happen but it sure is a golden opportunity to promote the match to death.

The timing maybe isn't that bad either. Everybody should be in the mood as it were. Think the bronze match is Saturday, and the final Sunday so it'll be all-football all-weekend.

Really curious part is that this seems to be an MLSE initiative, or at the least they're completely on board. If I'm right, then full marks to MLSE's MLS management/marketing crew. They're thinking ahead of themselves. A-gin. Tend to think that they may just have their **** together come 2007 yet if this trend continues to hold.

P.S. (The reason I mention this as an MLSE initiative it's because we all know that the CSA leaves it to local oraganization to manage and host their events and since MLSE has contacted their Toronto FC membership clique for promotional purposes, it doesn't matter that the venue is Roger's Centre [what's the alternative?] I'm going to guess this is a football promotion for the Toronto market. And since MLSE is now "football for the Toronto market" it serves their purposes in both the short and long term. Same cannot be said of Rogers.)

P.S.S. Hoping the match will be broadcast on television, or at the very least via webcast. Hard to imagine such a Toronto event not getting onto the Idiot Box one way or another but I'll be happy to lay out $6 if I have to.

P.S.S.S. Wonder what the pitch will look like?

P.S.S.S.S. Man, Mitch'll have had some of these lads together for a loooong time. Guessing we'll get a very good look at what they're made of and what to expect for 2007.

Although the prices are abit higher, I belive that this game could outdraw the Edmonton game if it gets alot of promotion during the World Cup. I'm not trying to start anything, I just know that Toronto is capable of big crowds when something gets their attention - and the prices are low by Toronto entertainment standards.

In the "Bannergate" thread, there is alot of talk about getting a designated area. Given the large number of people in the Toronto area, I think this is the perfect opportunity to try it. I would suggest not being cheapskates and going for the very best location. In the other thread, CSAplayer mentioned how hard it was to hear or spot Canadian fans. I think the spot should be right next to the field (with lots of bannerspace!) and somewhere that would be easy for the players to run to when celebrating a goal if they want to do so.

Since none of my Toronto-based friends follow soccer, my only options at the moment would be to go with relatives and sit somewhere quiet, or just hope that it's on TV. If there was a Voyageurs section, then I would be fine with going alone and introducing myself to the group. I'm sure there are others who would also be more inclined to go if there was a designated area/group for them to join.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

Since none of my Toronto-based friends follow soccer, my only options at the moment would be to go with relatives and sit somewhere quiet, or just hope that it's on TV. If there was a Voyageurs section, then I would be fine with going alone and introducing myself to the group. I'm sure there are others who would also be more inclined to go if there was a designated area/group for them to join.

Totally. I intend on making my way from Ottawa, so I would really appreciate a Voyageurs section rather than driving all that way to be forced to sit on my hands.

I'm hearing rumours that this isn't going to be the only Canada vs. US U20 match announced (when it formally is announced), there will be a second match, and the second one will not be in Toronto.

I expect we will find out from a CSA announcement soon.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

If there was a Voyageurs section, then I would be fine with going alone and introducing myself to the group. I'm sure there are others who would also be more inclined to go if there was a designated area/group for them to join.

Ask and you shall receive.

U-Sector/Voyageurs Section:

http://s15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=282&st=0

As a Toronto FC member we told you yesterday that there would be some exciting soccer new hitting Toronto today.

The Canadian Soccer Association is pleased to announce that it has reached an agreement with the United States Soccer Federation (USSF) that will see US Soccer's U-20 National Team travel to Toronto and Kingston for two international friendlies with Canada's U-20 National Team on July 7 and 9, 2006.

The matches are scheduled to take place at Rogers Centre in Toronto on July 7th at 7:00 p.m. ET and Richardson Stadium at Queen's University in Kingston two days later with the kickoff also scheduled for 7:00 p.m.

quote:Originally posted by Observer

To play an U20 game on the day of the World Cup Final is just stupid. Do you really believe people are going to leave their all day World Cup parties, after drinking and celebrating or crying to go see a friendly.

The timing is indeed unfortunate for the 2nd game - it means road trips from Toronto or Ottawa will be severely curtailed - but out of the two venues they chose the right city for that one. Kingston is not, as far as I am aware (and I used to live there), known for its massive World Cup street parties the way Toronto is.

However, for the sake of the U20 program I'm glad its two games and not one - the more the better.

Exactly, Kingston at 7:00 PM is a good place for an U-20 game. It would've been stupid to have that game in Toronto but I can live with Kingston for that game. I don't think they had much more choice to schedule that game.

Great to see that the CSA is commited to that team, now if we can get a few more MNT games in Canada.

For those who complain about not being able to secure space for a V supporters group note this paragraph in the CSA press release about the Toronto game:

"For groups of 20 or more, please contact Rogers Centre Group Sales department at 416-341-2255."

quote:Originally posted by Richard

For those who complain about not being able to secure space for a V supporters group note this paragraph in the CSA press release about the Toronto game:

"For groups of 20 or more, please contact Rogers Centre Group Sales department at 416-341-2255."

This is a perfect chance for all of us Toronto area folks to actually go to a game and show who we are and how many of us are there. Already, I am starting to sense a bit of early "excuse mongering" (Rogers Centre, ticket prices, WC, etc etc).

What this really is is the first (hopefully) joint marketing effort of MLSE and the CSA. Tix go on sale tomorrow (for the folks who did not join the Toronto FC thing) so get out and buy them!!

The only knock that I have is that when I tried to order $39 tickets I noticed the only differnce between them and the $29 tickets is which side of the field they are on....so I ordered 8 tix on the $29 side.....I am donating 4 of them to a charity auction here at work and using the other 4.

Don't worry that it is during the WC...7 p.m. Toronto time is 2 in the morning in Germany...the game(s) for the day will be over and it is a good opportunity to get out and waive the Maple Leaf instead of the "flag of the day" in the WC.

No game schedule on july 7. It will be 2 days after the second semi-final and 2 days before the final.

There you go....it will be a perfect fix as we start to come down off of the high created by the WC over the previous 4 weeks.

Archived