Canada vs USA U20 friendly - July 7 at Toronto

jasonm

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

WHY ARE ALL THE GAMES IN ONTARIO, ALBERTA & BC ?

Mainly because that's where most of the people are.

Considering the U20's are playing something like 15 games within the next year, it's entirely possible that they could play some matches out east too.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Considering the U20's are playing something like 15 games within the next year, it's entirely possible that they could play some matches out east too.

Some SENIOR-AAA and CIS games out here get larger crowds than the CPSL & the Lynx

Some SENIOR-AAA and CIS games out here get larger crowds than the CPSL & the Lynx

I have a feeling if the Lynx organization moved to Halifax (or anywhere else in the country for that matter) they probably would not draw very well either.

As was previously stated, this is a chance to put our money where our mouths are.....there's been tons of complaining on here about what goes wrong at matches, now is the chance to make something go right!

Buy tickets all in the same section! Don't go for the most expensive (reason is cuz they're on the camera side), but go for where everyone will be......and stop crying about banners....if you have banners, do what the fans in the EPL do, notify the club (CSA in this case) that you're bringing one and want to set it up....you can't block corporate signage, but you sure as hell can still have a voice!

Toronto is a "professional teams" city, and a fair weather friend, so don't expect much by way of Bay St. attendance...you can't judge the MLS crowd on a July 7th, 2006 U20 friendly....that's like going to a Leafs game and thinking that the Junior A club will draw the same numbers.

The U-Sector is trying to co-ordinate a section with the CSA:

http://s15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=282

http://s15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=283

Hey Guardian, I know I've been breaking your balls in the other thread, but do you think this match will have a webcast? That was a great idea for the Victoria match, and I was really hoping that the CSA and Insight would continue to make these available.

They'd probably sell out every game if they played here.

I would agree with that. Especially if they were to play at Huskies Stadium which puts the close to downtown.

Especially in a city that gives real good coverage of the local soccer scene.

quote:Originally posted by Guardian

Toronto is a "professional teams" city, and a fair weather friend, so don't expect much by way of Bay St. attendance...you can't judge the MLS crowd on a July 7th, 2006 U20 friendly....that's like going to a Leafs game and thinking that the Junior A club will draw the same numbers.

Considering that many of the players could be with TFC in '07, to use this as a test for MLS attendance is more than justified.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Not really because there might be people who will show up for a MLS game, and not for a Canadian U20 game.

Also, Edmonton has had good attendance for Canadian national team games, but they had small crowds for the Aviators. I know the Aviators weren't run properly, but in the end the people just didn't show up. So, it isn't really a fair comparision. Good attendance for a national team, doesn't always mean a professional team will be successful.

And vice versa...take a look at the Leafs, the majority of the Platinum level seats are owned by companies looking to wine and dine...the same may happen with TFC since they have a limited number of top notch seats available...corporate Toronto doesn't care about the players, just the opportunity to take clients to professional matches...but don't get me wrong, if I could drum up support and see 15k at the Roger's Centre, I'd bust my ass to do it!

Massive - The PPV webcast for Victoria was a great idea, but I think they should offer it for free for a couple matches, just to get people hooked.....maybe get one of the CSA Partners to pay for it at first....who knows...they should make it available for every match not shown on TV.....but to answer your question, no I have no idea whether or not they are going to webcast either of the USA matches.

This webcast thing could become very interesting during next year WYC. If they broadcast all games(this year NCAA March Madness games were all broadcast for free on the internet) and ask for a reasonable price for each game or have packages deals (group games plus the other rounds) it would be nice for all of the other countries fans who won,t be able to come to Canada. I don't know how much it could cost but I think the CSA could make some money with this.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

This webcast thing could become very interesting during next year WYC. If they broadcast all games(this year NCAA March Madness games were all broadcast for free on the internet) and ask for a reasonable price for each game or have packages deals (group games plus the other rounds) it would be nice for all of the other countries fans who won,t be able to come to Canada. I don't know how much it could cost but I think the CSA could make some money with this.

They probably will, it only makes sense...I know my friends in Manchester have it up for every match even though they are all on TV....too bad I won't be watching as I'll be too busy camped out in my seats at the Toronto stadium!

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

...The timing maybe isn't that bad either. Everybody should be in the mood as it were. Think the bronze match is Saturday, and the final Sunday so it'll be all-football all-weekend.

...And since MLSE is now "football for the Toronto market" it serves their purposes in both the short and long term. Same cannot be said of Rogers.)...

Everyone's favourite sports writer, Dave Perkins of The Star, is claiming that Ted Rogers will soon be buying into MLSEL.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1149198613115

The timing of these two games seems odd to me. Since the World Cup final is being shown on the big screen at Rogers Centre,

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/WorldCup/2006/05/26/1599055-sun.html

with the start at 2PM, is it logical to assume the original idea may have been to have the Toronto U20 game there on the same day, July 9, before the WC final, say at 11AM, and the Kingston U20 game on the 7th or some other day?

Sounds like that would have been a good idea.....but is there maybe a problem with the adidas Tour? I know adidas is the partner for CSA, MLS, and FIFA....but could there have been a clash somewhere and maybe they didn't want CSA involved with their event, or the other way around??

Adidas Canada readies World Cup tour

Toronto-based athletic apparel company Adidas Canada will conduct a promotional tour this month tied to the World Cup soccer tournament. The promotion, called the "+10 World Cup Tour," will visit Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto between June 9 and July 9. Attendees will be invited to test their soccer skills and participate in coaching clinics, watch amateur games and play video game soccer tournaments. Consumers will also be invited to visit a website at <http://www.adidassoccer.ca> to enter a draw for World Cup tickets. The tour will end with a free television broadcast of the World Cup final match at the Rogers Centre in Toronto on July 9.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

I would agree with that. Especially if they were to play at Huskies Stadium which puts the close to downtown.

Especially in a city that gives real good coverage of the local soccer scene.

The news coverage here is excellent. Even the recreational youth league that I play in gets mentioned once in a while.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Not everyone can afford to pay for a webcast!!!

Not everyone can afford to pay for a webcast!!!

Not everyone can afford for the pay a computer with internet access either, so in order to not offend anyone perhaps the CSA should never show a webcast again.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Lets not forget Quebec with it's 7 millon people or Montreal with it's 3 million people and the most successful pro team in the country.

But all of a sudden the Rogers Centre is okat for the CSA. Ahhhh right. Something's a foot in Corporate Canada..

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think this will be the first time since 1997 that a Canadian mens team will play the US in Canada.

Also the first time since 2000 that Toronto gets a Canadian men's game of any kind.

The SkyDome Cup

http://www.rsssf.com/tabless/skydome.html

games in January 1995, on the old hard artificial turf, are the only national team games I can recall at this stadium. Were there any others?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Lets not forget Quebec with it's 7 millon people or Montreal with it's 3 million people and the most successful pro team in the country.

May this be the same Montreal that's hosting a Senior mens friendly in September? Im pretty sure nobodies forgotten about the city.

Archived