Tino Lettieri Appreciation Thread

Not one of the best, would not be higher than 4th on our current depth chart. Had a weak stewardess imitation he used to do on the planes when the Whitecaps were flying. I think he thought people were laughing with him....

He was a competent keeper, but nothing special.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Not one of the best, would not be higher than 4th on our current depth chart. Had a weak stewardess imitation he used to do on the planes when the Whitecaps were flying. I think he thought people were laughing with him....

He was a competent keeper, but nothing special.

whahhh. The guy played in the World Cup. "competent keeper" After Forrest, our number 2.

Named the NASL's North American Player of the Year in 1983

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

So did the Saudi keeper who got shellacked 8-0 in 2002.

To be fair to that Saudi keeper, he played out of his mind during the 1994 first round.

But G-Man also forgot Paul Dolan who was a clear #2 during the Craig Forrest era.

I've never seen Tino play but I've heard more about his antics than his exploits on the field.

Guest Jeffery S.

You've probably forgotten some of the notorious drubbings Forrest got in the EPL.

If we remind you of them will you slag him off too, just to be consistent? Is there any Canadian player you won't crap on for spite and pettiness?

You are on a Canadian fan forum, and you are trash-talking Canadian national team players just because someone that irritates you spoke well of them. Pathetic.

Guest Jeffery S.

You've probably forgotten some of the notorious drubbings Forrest got in the EPL.

If we remind you of them will you slag him off too, just to be consistent? Is there any Canadian player you won't crap on for spite and pettiness?

You are on a Canadian fan forum, and you are trash-talking Canadian national team players just because someone that irritates you spoke well of them. Pathetic.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Another Canadian hall of fame player. I never got a chance to see him play, so it'd be hard for me to say if he was our best keeper. The best keeper that I have seen for Canada is Craig Forrest.

Wasn't he the goalie for the Hamilton Steelers in the CSL ? He was short with cat-like reflexes if it's the same guy I'm thinking about.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The only pathetic thing is your blatant attempt to bait me into yet another flame war.

Not gonna happen.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Exactly who is "trash talking Canadian national team players" ?

I have read the whole thread and have no idea what you are talking about.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Exactly who is "trash talking Canadian national team players" ?

I have read the whole thread and have no idea what you are talking about.

As far as I'm concern, I think Rudi is trashing the Saudi keeper and Jeffrey is trashing a canadian keeper (Forrest)..........

Rudi comments were more like "you know, it's not because you played in a WC that you are the best".

That's precisely how I meant it.

There was no disrespect intended towards Lettieri or any other Canadian player on my behalf, and as for me "crapping on Canadian players for spite and pettiness", I have no idea where that comes from.

I have never spoken badly about any Canadian national team player and quite frankly I'm insulted at the insinuation that I have.

Yeah Lettieri was smaller and had good reflexes. I haven't seen tons of him, but I think he'd be maybe a shade better than Onstad and not as good as Dolan overall (which isn't to say I'm arguing Dolan at 20 or whatever should have started over an experienced Lettieri against France).

I definitely think Forrest is our best ever. After that it's a little muddy esp if you count Kennaway (and then you're completely arguing about eras and levels of play and such since no one saw Joe play).

In a way Lettieri reminded me of Alexi Lalas. He was arguably the most famous Canadian soccer player when I was really little and yet he really wasn't the most accomplished. But he was a character and had a parrot and people loved him.

For absolutely no prize, does anyone remember the parrot's name?

cheers,

matthew

Ozzie is correct. Here's a bio of Lettieri lifted from the Soccer Hall of Fame web site:

Born: Bari, Italy, Sept. 27, 1957.

Clubs: Minnesota Kicks 1977-81, Vancouver Whitecaps 1982-83, Minnesota Strikers 1984, Hamilton Steelers 1987. Played 24 times for Canada's full national team as well as for the Olympic team in 1984. Back-up goalkeeper to Jack Brand on the 1976 Olympic team and to Tony Chursky and Zeljko Bilecki in 1977 World Cup competition, Lettieri was Canada's first choice in 1980 and was a vital element in the team reaching the second round of the World Cup in 1981. Gained notice as goalkeeper for the Minnesota Kicks despite being on the small side for this position. Thrived on pressure and blanked some of the best known players in the game in a shoot-out against the Cosmos in New York in 1978 before a wildly partisan crowd of more than 60,000. Known during his years in the NASL for keeping a stuffed parrot named “Ozzie” in the back of his net, he was a member of the 1986 World Cup team and played in two games. Named the NASL's North American Player of the Year in 1983 and to the NASL's North American All Star team in 1982 and 1983. Later played one season in the Canadian Soccer League for Hamilton Steelers.

http://www.thesoccerhalloffame.ca/OSN.nsf/c1bfa845a2dec3bf85256b0b005d4116/02502f99176e0d

2585256b0b005f64c7?OpenDocument

I was a Hamilton Steelers fan, so I saw Lettieri play live many times. My most vivid memory, however, was the goal scored by Ottawa's keeper Ferguson (Don?) on a goal kick from his hands.

Bounced right over Tino's head. I remember the crowd was kind of stunned. No one really believed what happened!

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

No, although my Highschool yearbook lists that as my Career ambition. I caught the routine once when we were on the same flight as the 'Caps and then about a year or so later he did it on an afternoon talk show hosted hosted by Alan Hammel (famous for marrying Suzzanne Sommers).

And for G-Man, Jamie Lowry played in the World Cup. That doesn't make him one of our top midfielders of all time. The strength of the '86 team was an excellent backline (3 of the 4 would still make my all-time Canada team) and enough good offensive players that Canada could score some. Letieri wasn't the reason Canada advanced, he didn't even play many of the final round qualifiers IIRC. He didn't hurt us, as I said, he was competent, but I don't rate him amongst our all-time best.

For 1985-86, Dolan played in 14 friendlies, four qualifiers, and one World Cup finals match. Lettieri played in one friendly, four qualfiers, and two World Cup finals matches (including the win over Honduras that put Canada into the final 24). Sven Habermann played in four friendlies, though three were split matches with Dolan. It looks as if Dolan was the number one choice early on, and Lettieri took over for the final round of qualifying.

I think Dolan was the first choice for the World Cup but lost his spot when he let in a bad goal near the end of our first match against France thus denying us a tie against France. I think he had played pretty well other than that goal though. I don't remember if Lettieri was at fault on any of the goals in 2-0 losses to the USSR and Hungary.

Both USSR goals were pure class I don't think Lettieri could be faulted on either one of them if he was in goal. I remember seeing the highlight clips I think someone here posted them at some point. Not sure about the Hungary match.

Archived