Tino Lettieri Appreciation Thread

Thanks for the info, Gordon.

I agree with your assessment of that MNT side of WC 86. I also would add that they were very good at converting deadball crosses into excellent scoring opportunities, i.e. near post corner to Ian Bridge, flicked on to Dale Mitchell.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

If Tino wasn't the reason for us advancing, then we've never had a goalie including forrest who'd be the reason for advancing.

We've only ever had 2 goalies play for us in the World Cup.

Seems to me Canada's problem has always been at the other end of the pitch. You can have Lev Yashin in net with Beckenbauer and Maldini at the back and it's not gonna help if you can't put the ball in the opposition net.

Lettieri was a perfectly fine keeper and certainly not a liability. Whether he was the best or 2nd best or 5th best Canada has ever had isn't really relevant.

• 4 months later...

I'm an italian lover of football and I decide to participate to this discussion because I saw Lettieri play very well in the matches against Hungary and URSS; in 1984 Udinese wanted to buy a good goalkeeper and chose Tino, but the affairs hadn't be done because it was impossible to naturalize Tino italian. Lettieri would have been the first Canadian playing in Italian Serie A; and this , in my opinion, is a valid reason to consider him the best all-time canadian goalkeeper. I'm sorry for my english very poor and for my intromission in this debate

quote:Originally posted by gabri

I'm an italian lover of football and I decide to participate to this discussion because I saw Lettieri play very well in the matches against Hungary and URSS; in 1984 Udinese wanted to buy a good goalkeeper and chose Tino, but the affairs hadn't be done because it was impossible to naturalize Tino italian. Lettieri would have been the first Canadian playing in Italian Serie A; and this , in my opinion, is a valid reason to consider him the best all-time canadian goalkeeper. I'm sorry for my english very poor and for my intromission in this debate

Your English is fine. Thank you for your contribution. It is the first time I've ever heard that Udinese had an interest in Tino.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

cheers

db

Archived