Canadians abroad: March 17-23, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Sunday, March 19

3:00 AM (14.75-hour delay) on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Birmingham vs. Tottenham (Paul Stalteri)

11:00 AM on The Score — England: Premier League

Fulham (Tomasz Radzinski) vs. Chelsea

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 17-23, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FC Copenhagen (Hutchison) , Lillestrom (Occean) win first-leg semifinals of Royal League

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) - Defending champion FC Copenhagen beat Midtjylland 3-1, and Lillestrom defeated Djurgarden of Stockholm by an identical score in first-leg semifinals of the Royal League on Thursday.

Copenhagen had goals by Michael Silberbauer (14th minute), Peter Ijeh (25th) and Brede Hangeland (72nd), before fellow Danish side Midtjylland pulled back a goal through Winston Reid (86th) in the Danish capital.

At Sodertalje, Sweden, Robert Koren (19th) and Swede Christoffer Andersson scored for Norway's Lillestrom. Jesper Hakansson cut the score with a penalty (78th) for the Swedish champion, before an own goal by Elias Storm (88th) restored the two-goal lead.

Djurgarden was missing six starters, including three strikers, because of injuries, .

Last year, Copenhagen beat two-time UEFA Cup champion IFK Goteborg in a penalty shootout to claim the inaugural Royal League championship.

The Royal League, so named because Sweden, Denmark and Norway are constitutional monarchies, started last year with the top four teams from the three Scandinavian countries.

Don't read Hungarian but the picture doesn't look very promising.

Peart: szárkapocscsont-törés!

2006. március 17. 14:10:07 nyomtatási kép cikk küldése

Kanadai válogatott csatárunk, Joevannie Peart (képünkön), a szerdai Marcalgergelyi elleni barátságos mérkõzés 33. percében szárkapocscsont-törést szenvedett. A labdarúgót már meg is operálta Dr. Abkarovits Géza sebészprofesszor, a székesfehérvári Szent György Kórházban. Joevannie várható felépülési ideje: hat hét.

20060315peart210.jpg

Guest Jeffery S.

Marcel de Jong played 90 as Helmond Sport got a late goal to draw De Graafschap away, 2-2. The team is now in fourth in the division with three games left for them. Their direct rivals below them in the table either drew or lost tonight, so that keeps their promotion playoff hopes alive.

JDV starts away at Selhurst Park and midway through the 2nd half Crystal Palace have gone ahead 2-1. All 3 markers by Palace players as Tom Soares is adjudged an own goal. Bad news atop of bad news for Ipswich so far this after’ as Coventry are currently up 1-nil hosting Leeds, Cardiff have a 1-nil away lead at Plymouth and Norwich are looking to take the Blades 2-1. (Wolves are trailing Reading though and PNE are loosing 2-nil at Hillsborough. Still, very bad news for Ipswich).

Ian Hume starts and is still on at the New Den as Leicester lead Millwall 1-nil. No Josh anywhere still. Horrible season for the lad, injurys, politics and all.

Marc Bircham has started and Queens Park Rangers lead Brighton 1-nil at Loftus Road on an early Gareth Ainsworth marker.

Derby away to Luton with Pesch on the bench (still). Nil-nil so far.

Ha! 2-2 at Selhurst now on a Ricardo Fuller goal in the ‘67th.

No Dodds as Kili are level 1-1 vs Falkirk at Rugy Park.

Tottenham are the late start against Birmingham.

Pesch subs on in the ’77 but Derby still go down 1-nil away to Luton on a 2nd half goal by Steve Howard. Derby are 9 points clear of The Drop at this point.

At Loftus Road Marc Bircham plays out the 90 but QPR settle for a draw against Brighton on the weight of a Marcus Bignot own goal in the ‘80th. Harsh.

Hume is sub’d out after ’84 minutes for Andrew Welsh as Leicester continue their late season push back towards respectability with a 1-nil victory over Millwall at the New Den.

JDV plays the 90 and Ipswich Town finish the day with 10 men as they draw Crystal Palace 2-2.

Excepting Divine Intervention, on todays results Ipswich will play their football in the CCC next year. It was a hard test today for Ipswich no matter what (their own doing to) but the matchs Ipswich needed to go their way didn’t.

Where’s Diesel? See he’s not listed on Tottenham’s roster for todays match at all….

P.S. To answer my own question, seems Jol is resting a few of the regular starters. Tainio and Mido on the bench but no Paul.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Pesch subs on in the ’77 but Derby still go down 1-nil away to Luton on a 2nd half goal by Steve Howard. Derby are 9 points clear of The Drop at this point.

At Loftus Road Marc Bircham plays out the 90 but QPR settle for a draw against Brighton on the weight of a Marcus Bignot own goal in the ‘80th. Harsh.

Hume is sub’d out after ’84 minutes for Andrew Welsh as Leicester continue their late season push back towards respectability with a 1-nil victory over Millwall at the New Den.

JDV plays the 90 and Ipswich Town finish the day with 10 men as they draw Crystal Palace 2-2.

Excepting Divine Intervention, on todays results Ipswich will play their football in the CCC next year. It was a hard test today for Ipswich no matter what (their own doing to) but the matchs Ipswich needed to go their way didn’t.

Where’s Diesel? See he’s not listed on Tottenham’s roster for todays match at all….

P.S. To answer my own question, seems Jol is resting a few of the regular starters. Tainio and Mido on the bench but no Paul.

Paul isn't being rested (considering how few games they've played this year, it's not like Tottenham need to rest players!).

Stephen Kelly has just returned from injury & has been picked ahead of him.

Frankly, Stalteri hasn't been at his best for the past few weeks. He's going to need to pick it up if he wants to keep his spot for next year.

NOTE: Sky Sports match ratings had this to say about Stephen Kelly: "Failed to convince he deserves to start ahead of Stalteri". Nice.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian subbed on in m. 53 for a striker with Depor up 0-1 over Getafe, they draw, but Depor gets a later one to win it away, important points for them. De G was carded in a card filled game where Getafe went a man down mid 2nd half, par for the course in ridiculously card-happy Spain this season.

Did not see it as preferred Barça, but reports say that Depor hardly deserved the win.

Simeon Jackson made his debut as a starter today and played 71 for Rushdon and Diamonds as they surprise promotion candidate Leyton Orient 1-0. They are still in a demotion spot based on goal differential but the bottom of the table is tight and if they continue their play of late will be out of danger quickly. Congrats to Simeon.

Rushden & Diamonds 1-0 L Orient

Drewe Broughton's early goal was enough to beat high-flying Orient as Diamonds extended their unbeaten run to four games and moved out of bottom spot.

Broughton's seventh-minute header beat Glenn Morris after Wayne Hatswell knocked down Darren Caskey's cross.

Caskey and Ronnie Bull both had chances to extend the lead in a positive first-half display from the hosts.

Orient improved and, after Lee Steele had a goal chalked off for offside, Paul Connor shot over when well-placed.

Rushden & D'monds: Tynan, Gier, Gulliver (Hunter 86), Hatswell, Bull, Berry (Turner 76), Nicholls, Caskey, Kelly, Broughton, Jackson (Tomlin 71).

Subs Not Used: Savage, Stokes.

More Simeon Jackson stuff. Perusing the fan boards they seem generally pleased with his play but he is not quite match fit enough to play 90 and tired in the 2nd half. A sample of comments:

From Baron

I think today I have witnessed the best strike partnership I have seen all season, in the Broughton Jackson pairing. Simeon may not be entirely ready for a full game yet, but once again he proved what a difference he can make to a game, at every attempt on goal, in the first half, regardless of who made the shot, Simeon was present and ready to snatch an opportunity if the keeper or defenders made an error, he really is showing signs of being a natural striker who can read the game really well.

Broughton was superb again today, holding the ball up, a physical presense, and a coach to the younger lads. Well done Drewe, a credit to the team now that all the energies are utilised in playing the game.

I certainly hope the board offer Simeon a full contract before someone snatches him away from us, if other clubs have been watching Lee, it won't be long before Simeon's name is known by the bigger clubs, bearing in mind he had trials at Man City and Man U a couple of years ago.

From Frag

I agree with everything you have said. The best partnership pairing since Sharpy left!! Well done to both Drewe and Jacko, and I expect to see both players start at Cheltenham!

As for Jacko's contract, I spoke to a very knowledgable person on this subject last night at the quiz, and he said it was all under complete control and was being taken care of. He also mentioned there are FA laws which other clubs have to abide to when it comes to trying to sign any contracted player under the age of 23.

I can honestly see a good combination coming up soon in both Jacko and Tomlin! Its just a shame they are both only about 3 foot tall!! Laughing

A newspaper article before the match/b]

Jackson set for debut

SIMEON JACKSON will make his full league debut for Rushden & Diamonds tomorrow.

The Canadian youth international, who celebrates his 19th birthday later this month, has been handed a big chance to shine after firing three goals in only five substitute appearances.

Jackson will partner top scorer Drewe Broughton in attack against Leyton Orient at Nene Park just a few weeks since returning from a loan spell at Raunds Town.

Diamonds boss Barry Hunter said: "I have told Simeon that he will start. He just smiled and walked away so I'm not sure if he's excited or nervous!

"He scored again in training yesterday and looked lively. We've all seen what he's got to offer and he totally deserves this chance.

"There's always a danger that it's harder to start a game rather than coming on. But I don't think he will have a problem.

"He went out to Raunds to get experience and toughen him up. Young lads can get cocooned in these surroundings so I wanted to show him what real life is like. Since he came back he has been brilliant."

Bottom-of-the-table Diamonds are unbeaten in four home games ahead of the visit of Orient who boast the best away record in Coca-Cola League Two.

Hunter added: "They have got a very strong squad. And as they have beaten us twice this season we want to do something about it.

"A repeat of last season's 2-0 home win would be ideal. It's another big challenge tomorrow and we are looking forward to it.

"Our fans can also make a big difference if they get behind us again. It's vital that everyone is positive around the club and we all stay together."

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

Paul isn't being rested (considering how few games they've played this year, it's not like Tottenham need to rest players!).

Stephen Kelly has just returned from injury & has been picked ahead of him.

Frankly, Stalteri hasn't been at his best for the past few weeks. He's going to need to pick it up if he wants to keep his spot for next year.

NOTE: Sky Sports match ratings had this to say about Stephen Kelly: "Failed to convince he deserves to start ahead of Stalteri". Nice.

Maybe rested isn't the proper term. Letting the other lads have a go against a sure to beat side like Birmingham is maybe more accurate. I'm sure you get more news than I do but I don't know.

But if Jol is giving Paul a little wake-up shake he's certainly doing it with both mits. Wasn't even dressed today.

Pauls fine, Im a spurs fan and follow the boards, the press, all that jazz.... he has played every game this season except for 1. It may not be an overload but sometimes he just needs a rest.

Stephen Kelly is a bum, he can play both sides of defence and if he was any good. He would be playing left back since well we dont have one at all!

MLS preseason action from the Carolina Cup Challenge:

Houston Dynamo beat Charleston Battery 1-0. Dero drew the foul that led to the free kick goal.

New York Red Bulls lose to DC United 1-0. Serioux starts but taken off at '51. DC score at '56. 2 reds were shown to New York after that.

Fulham on The Score right now as they host Chelsea. Radz on the bench and Coleman fielding a very attacking line up in typical fashion of late. Getting hammered of late. Wonder if there’s a connection.

Earlier today Feyenoord lost away to AZ Alkmaar 1-nil and drop into 3rd in the Eredivisie. Jonathan de Guzman went his usual 90.

Well Fulham play Giant Killer and fell Chelsea 1-nil on the weight of a Boa Morte hash of a goal. Radz spends the 90 on the bench. Pretty good match otherwise. Great crowd, home and away.

RE; Radz on the bench and not on the pitch? Not sure that's entirely unjust. He is sort of morphing into a high midfield attacker and there are no shortage of those on Fulham right now (Malbranque, Boa Morte at times, even Brown now). Still, two matchs in a row I think since Radz has seen a minute of playing time. Bit odd for a Coleman favourate. Not sure if it's all just tactical or there's something else playing a part.

I thought Fulham's quartet of Brown, Pembridge, Boa Morte, and Malbranque had a solid match. From what I am hearing, the knock against Radz as a flank midfielder is that he has not been as effective or diligent in his defensive responsibilities. IMO, Brown isn't as good as an attacker, but provides a better defensive component, and Coleman desperately needs results right now. I going to guess that for the next while Radz would be more of a late game attacking option for either Brown, Pembridge, or Elliot should Fulham be losing in the game.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

MLS preseason action from the Carolina Cup Challenge:

Houston Dynamo beat Charleston Battery 1-0. Dero drew the foul that led to the free kick goal.

New York Red Bulls lose to DC United 1-0. Serioux starts but taken off at '51. DC score at '56. 2 reds were shown to New York after that.

I was on the ESPN US soccer website reading team previews for both the Dynamo and the Red Bulls and both DeRosario and Serioux are featured prominently. The big question asked of Dero is whether he can build on his excellent second half of last season as an attacking midfielder. Of Serioux, I am really interested to see how he does as the defensive midfielder: can he develop the positional discipline required to be successful? If he does, that will be a huge plus for the MNT.

Hainault played another 90 minutes for FK Most today to a 1-1 tie against Sigma Olomouc. They are now in 11th and may have the possibility of cliching the 7th spot on Thursday when they play another game that had previously been postponed because of weather.

Archived