Toronto MLS research

mlsintoronto

Guest speedmonk42

In the naming camp, I think something to consider with the names like Toronto FC/United ect... is that they are simple and easy to remember.

Another Lynx/Raptors/ect kind of name may just make the heads of the general public explode having to remember yet another catchy animal sports team name.

My vote is for the simple camp or calling them the leafs and using all the branding that is in place.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42

As for mlstoronto sticking around or not for all the vitriolic ranting, it does in itself tell us something. There is a level of frustration in the soccer comunity and that itself is important information.

Ultimately I think that frustration is also representative of the level of passion people have and will become more constructive in time and be a good thing in the end.

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

You guys are so blinded by your MLS soccer fantasy that you don't even see it when a guy who doesn't give a rat's ass about soccer is after your money. He could've served you the same arguments if he were working for Canada's Wonderland...

...or for the Toronto Rock, or for the Ice Capades, or for the 'NEW' Toronto CN Tower Bungee Jump. What exactly is your point? Look, even if you don't want to see it because you're blinded by spite, the MLSE person is trying to find a formula for what will make soccer in Toronto both successful and sustainable. Does he deserve to be faulted for that? And of course he is after our money. Last time I checked, NO pro sports team was able to survive as a professional charity, honouring us with the 'dignity' of performing for free. Not even Roman 'moneybags' Abramovich lets Chelsea fans watch for free.

quote:

You seem to automatically be putting Toronto before Canadian soccer and frankly, it's sad for the rest of the country (yes, there is a world beyond the GTA limits).

The franchise is in Toronto, last time I checked. He is marketing a team for Toronto, not the Pan-Canadian MLS ALL-STARS! The franchise, it must be clearly stated Mpenza so that you could understand, was awarded to, and please note the fine subtlety here, a city and NOT a country.

quote:

Now he's off to his little money-making marketing world and don't you worry, his job is done here and you'll have a "product" you can't get enough of once MLS comes to Canada... Buy the shirt, buy the scarf, buy the keychain, buy the panties for your mom... Have fun.

Are you secretly jealous that you don't have his job?

Why did I even bother replying to your post? Because it stands to reason that both your spite and idiocy shouldn't be addressed, but rather ignored.

Guest Jeffery S.

It was a either a personal research project for his own studies in marketing (field research), an attempt at getting points from his boss, or both. That is why he led a few posters on and kept on calling us "kids" until the end.

In any case, since he never said to represent MLSE officially what are you guys worried about? He said he came on his own accord, and has gone off on his own accord.

Thanks for vouching for him as legit MLS TO cheerleaders. That was useful.

I think he was from MLSE in fact, but as I said, I also think that this was a little experiment he came up with for his MA or something similar, likely read Fever Pitch or the like and then thought he could draw similar perceptions by arousing us here. Soon to be appearing in some guys MA thesis at U of T: the Voyageurs, Canada's supporters group, seen in the light of even-keel TO.

You guys are so blinded by your MLS soccer fantasy that you don't even see it when a guy who doesn't give a rat's ass about soccer is after your money. He could've served you the same arguments if he were working for Canada's Wonderland...

MLS Fantasy? You are the one fantasizing. MLS is a reality. Arguments? What arguments are you referring to? mlsintoronto didn't do any arguing. I think you need to go back to fantasizing with your pxrn downloads mpenza.

Ok, after lurking on this site for many months, I decided to register and post my ideas when it became clear that MLSE was listening and that there was a chance, slight as it was, that fans could decide on the name and uniform of a new team. Rarely does one fan's opinion matter much in a team's operations, but a good idea is a good idea. Because I was familiar with this site, I knew about the troublemakers and the complete waste of time that many threads here turn into because of them. I am shocked, however, to see so many ruin a possible opportunity at real influence.

Is MLSINTORONTO over-sensitive? Yes, but he probably is not a soccer fan and he doesn't need this board to do his job. He has better things to do than to put up with this garbage. There are tens of thousands of soccer-moms and soccer-dads in the 905 area who will pay to take their kids to a game regardless of the name or uniform, and without giving so much abuse. Right now, MLSE might be looking at all these attacks, and the small number involved, and conclude that catering to the "fanatics" is too much trouble for such small numbers. Hopefully, MLSINTORONTO and others at MLSE will continue to read this thread for more ideas, but just not post to avoid encouraging the village idiots. I can understand why players/managers/CSA officials don't post - there is nothing for them to gain in wasting their time defending against mindless attacks.

I have participated in a non-soccer forum that is heavily moderated and I find it to be much more constructive as it encourages greater participation. As a grad student, I am used to taking criticism (from intelligent people!), so I have a very thick skin - but others don't. There are probably alot of lurkers who don't post because of the idiots. Using a heavy hand with five posters will quickly see the entrance of fifty new posters with new ideas and perspectives.

BTW, how did MLSINTORONTO get so much hate e-mail when he was careful to keep his identity secret? I have alot of ideas that I have not posted that I would have given him by e-mail had I thought that this was an option.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

BTW, how did MLSINTORONTO get so much hate e-mail when he was careful to keep his identity secret? I have alot of ideas that I have not posted that I would have given him by e-mail had I thought that this was an option.

I think that refers to Private messages KAS.

Funny how every self-appointed king of the board here takes time to quote me and waste time trying to turn what I said into twisted bits of non sense.... but that no one answers the only bit that actually calls for an answer:

I wonder how many of you here actually go to Lynx games.

Cause frankly that's what it comes down to. If you can't support local soccer to start with, what are you gonna do when MLSE brings you a losing team 2-3 seasons in a row? Turn back to hockey?

My point is that this franchise, while it will be fun and good for T.O., doesn't bring anything positive to Canadian soccer as a whole. The CSA fumbled once again, and that MLSE guy coming here talking about money just confirms that MLSE, even though they dealt with the CSA, is going to work for MLSE and the MLS and NOTHING ELSE. Of all people, you, the Voyageurs, the so-called Canadian Soccer Supporters, should realize that. Canadian soccer is getting screwed badly. Do we want to make Canada a one-team country? Well... it's too late to ask that question, isn't it?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It was a either a personal research project for his own studies in marketing (field research), an attempt at getting points from his boss, or both. That is why he led a few posters on and kept on calling us "kids" until the end.

In any case, since he never said to represent MLSE officially what are you guys worried about?

Who's worried? Who said they were worried? He will still continue to get some constructive feedback at bigsoccer (where they have moderators that prevent the sort of trolling that has happened here) and he will also come out and meet with the actual club supporters in Toronto to get direct feedback. Nobody is worried about that. Just that some of us who associate ourselves with the Voyageurs name have found some of the antics of the people who post here to be a bit embarassing, that's all.

Keep up with the wild theories about who he was though. I'm still plugging for people to assume he was Carlton the Bear.

The vast majority of the people in the U-Sector have attended Lynx games. The people from out of town have not.

Sorry to ruin your wild theory by providing some simple facts, but them's the breaks!

Funny how every self-appointed king of the board here takes time to quote me and waste time trying to turn what I said into twisted bits of non sense.... but that no one answers the only bit that actually calls for an answer:

Cause frankly that's what it comes down to. If you can't support local soccer to start with, what are you gonna do when MLSE brings you a losing team 2-3 seasons in a row? Turn back to hockey?

My point is that this franchise, while it will be fun and good for T.O., doesn't bring anything positive to Canadian soccer as a whole. The CSA fumbled once again, and that MLSE guy coming here talking about money just confirms that MLSE, even though they dealt with the CSA, is going to work for MLSE and the MLS and NOTHING ELSE. Of all people, you, the Voyageurs, the so-called Canadian Soccer Supporters, should realize that. Canadian soccer is getting screwed badly. Do we want to make Canada a one-team country? Well... it's too late to ask that question, isn't it?

Juaninho is a member of the U-Sector and is present at almost every Lynx home game and has been for the past few years. On top of that, he's travelled to Rochester numerous times to support the Lynx.

The same is true for Sean Keay, Gianluca, Ryan Keay, Polish Lynx Fan, Marc P, Varsity Tyler and myself. Other road-trip destinations include Montreal and Hamilton.

I'll stop here, lest Jeffrey accuses me of elitism or I piss off more ill-treated Westerners/Quebecois/Maritimers/Cree/Acadians to the point of driving them off the board.

Ok, fantastic. You're pretty much all ultras, just like I am...

So you might be able to understand what I'm saying about the situation of Canadian soccer as a whole regarding the MLS franchise.

I foolishly was hoping that MLSE would actually care about the sport, but seeing this guy come in here talking about "products" and "finding about the U-Sector" on this board makes me insanely worried we might be in for a rough ride...

I truly hope you catch my drift here, because so far, my two stints on the Voyageurs' forums basically have been "say like us or get out". I was hoping for some form of discussion.

I foolishly was hoping that MLSE would actually care about the sport, but seeing this guy come in here talking about "products" and "finding about the U-Sector" on this board makes me insanely worried we might be in for a rough ride...

So, when someone from MLS comes on here for input (for whatever reason) from those that would know soccer best, you get worried? Would you be less worried if they didn't make any effort at all?

This makes no sense at all.

Ok, fantastic. You're pretty much all ultras, just like I am...

So you might be able to understand what I'm saying about the situation of Canadian soccer as a whole regarding the MLS franchise.

I truly hope you catch my drift here, because so far, my two stints on the Voyageurs' forums basically have been "say like us or get out". I was hoping for some form of discussion.

Discussion is fine, but please RESPECT the purpose of this thread. This was a thread started by mlsintoronto to disscuss ideas for the Toronto MLS team. Thats it. This is NOT a thread about how MLS Toronto impacts the rest of Canada, or the state of Canadian soccer today. Feel free to start your own thread about that, but please be mature enough not hijack this one. That is all we are asking you to do.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

What El Hombre said.

I appreciate someone knew enough to come in here and ask for opinions and ideas. And it is a business, like it or not, Mpenza. Tossing out the 'tough guy' attitude was childish.

Check the impactsoccer.com/forum where Mpenza plays the "tough guy"....

I was going to mention that Jay left out Varsity Tyler, Free Kick, Grasshopper, Torontosupport and Ben Lauden in his list, but I don't have the time to mention that as I have to rush off for a photo session. I'm going to be the main cover photo of "Fascist Dictator Monthly" magazine. I'm very excited about this, as I understand I only need to get on to the front cover another 8 times before I overtake Napoleon Bonaparte as the record holder of the person most frequently featured on the cover.

Archived