Toronto MLS research

mlsintoronto

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite frankly, the time for arguing is over. Although I still do not embrace the CSA's role in all this, it's a done deal.

Let's fall in line and wish MLS Toronto well. Cheer for them or jeer them. If MLS Toronto becomes the team you love or the team you love to hate it doesn't matter. You're still showing some kind of passion for soccer in Canada. The worst thing would be to not care.

Call them the Beavers or Big Smoke, whatever. Personally I think the Marlies should be used again by MLSE or my second choice Universe but the moniker doesn't really matter.

Let's just get over this and start talking Canadian soccer again across the whole country.

MLS is in Toronto like or not.......get over it and move on.

Keep following your local teams and leagues because that's where the growth of soccer is and we all don't live in the centre of the universe.

quote:Originally posted by morrison

as much as I acknowledge with blue being a Toronto colour...

what if it's another colour?

For the first few years at least we will be representing not just the city of Toronto, but all of Canada in the MLS. I would go with something patriotic and go with red & white with a maple leaft motif somewhere.

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

Gian-Luca-

Not everyone can afford Digital Cable!

There is also Sportsnet, which already does EPL, and there is also The Score, which does EPL Sunday match broadcasts. Both of these networks are available with a regular cable package, and could be possible options.

hey guys you see mls teams have opened camps yesterday wow guess when are team comes they will have to get an indoor place for training camp and play there first 10 or more games on the road. because of the cold cant see them playing in the snow lol

I would just like to say that I am willing to vouch for MLSINTORONTO. No, I don't know who he is, but I am still willing to vouch for him if he gets me a job at MLSE! :D Masseuse to the Raptor's chearleaders perhaps? [:P] I know that the Leafs need a goalie who isn't a pensioner, and although I am only 5'10", I could still be the best center the Raptors have ever had!

In all seriousness, I would like to ask MLSINTORONTO if he can do a few things to help the discussion:

1) Inform coworkers of this thread so that more eyes at MLSE see the ideas, and maybe become involved.

2) Reciprocate by telling us what the people at MLSE have suggested so that we can see how they think and offer opinions on their ideas rather than merely come up with our own ideas.

3) Since communication works best when it is two-way, a greater effort at providing feedback on posters ideas would help to move the discussion forward. If you know something is technically or legally difficult or impossible, then say so (with explanation) and the idea will be dropped or altered instead of being repeated.

I will start you off with an example. I have suggested Toronto United with blue/white horizontal stripes that is partly based on the sleeves of the 1930's Leafs' jerseys, and partly on the green/white "Hoops" of Glasgow Celtic. So, will MLS let Toronto use the "United" name? Are any merchandising sales experts advocating a move away from the traditional blue/white colours?

What do your colleagues think of:

"United", "City", "Garrison", "Blizzard", "Inter", "Athletic", or the FC vs SC debate?

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

There is also Sportsnet, which already does EPL, and there is also The Score, which does EPL Sunday match broadcasts. Both of these networks are available with a regular cable package, and could be possible options.

Don't forget TLN either.

Yes, TLN show Serie A and Champions League in Ontario. They wouldn't be an ideal option, as they dont have a national footprint, but they are still an option nevertheless, if deals couldn't be worked out with other networks. It would be better than nothing. Plus the 'Rest of Canada' couldn't accuse MLSE of ramming Toronto's team down their throats if it isn't being shown outside Ontario!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

MMMM....Leaf TV, owned by the owners of the team and starved for content in the summer (being as the Leafs are on vacation then)...I wonder if they might have an interest in showing some games.

OK, before we get off onto a national unity tangent, I'd like to weigh in again on the name after posting way earlier in support of Toronto City.

I still support that name, but I was impressed by the suggestion of Garrison and like it more and more. It's different and has local history tied to it. It's likely a longshot in today's mass-marketing world, but well done to whoever first suggested it (I was too lazy to go back through the posts). :)

quote:Originally posted by KAS

In all seriousness, I would like to ask MLSINTORONTO if he can do a few things to help the discussion:

1) Inform coworkers of this thread so that more eyes at MLSE see the ideas, and maybe become involved.

Believe me this board is getting lots of attention around here - mostly positive. "Its not a chat room...its a message board!"

quote:2) Reciprocate by telling us what the people at MLSE have suggested so that we can see how they think and offer opinions on their ideas rather than merely come up with our own ideas.

3) Since communication works best when it is two-way, a greater effort at providing feedback on posters ideas would help to move the discussion forward. If you know something is technically or legally difficult or impossible, then say so (with explanation) and the idea will be dropped or altered instead of being repeated.

I will start you off with an example. I have suggested Toronto United with blue/white horizontal stripes that is partly based on the sleeves of the 1930's Leafs' jerseys, and partly on the green/white "Hoops" of Glasgow Celtic. So, will MLS let Toronto use the "United" name? Are any merchandising sales experts advocating a move away from the traditional blue/white colours?

What do your colleagues think of:

"United", "City", "Garrison", "Blizzard", "Inter", "Athletic", or the FC vs SC debate?

Sorry for not sharing but you already seem to understand the reasons why I cannot. I can share my personal opinion: I'm in favour of Red and white, and I like Toronto FC.

I also would like to see us sell the front of a jersey to a sponsor ...not likely to happen...but my favourite all time kit is Kilmarnock (I think) - "Seriously Strong Cheddar"

Do we really think that people outside of Toronto, that are causual fans of the sport really want to stay in on a sunday afternoon in the summer to watch MLS soccer? Especially a game between the Toronto Insert Ethnic Name Here vs Bland Opponent inserted here. With the biggest star being Eddie Pope.

From the games I've seen on Fox World, MLS soccer offers a terrible TV package compared to what we see every week from the EPL. Long boring wide shots showing thousands of empty seats and apathetic soccer dads. The reason the EPL is so popular compared to Seria A is that the TV production is so much better. Better camera angles, a better understanding on how the game comes across on TV. The EPL is a slick product put together by people who understand the game. That's why it works.

And having TSN or Sportsnet broadcast the games (with CFL or NHL crews) with Carman Marcantonio doing play by play will be terrible. It'll harm the product. No candian netowk will spend the money to make it slick. It'll come across as exiciting as a track and field event. I can barely make it through the Australian League highlite package, I can't imagine sitting through a Perth/Newcastle match up without falling asleep.

At the end of the day, a bad TV product harms the game more than it helps it. And no matter what anyone says- you're competing with the EPL package and not the Rogers Lynx game of the month.

I'd say a local radio deal. And a weekly 30 minute highlite package showing the best goals, best saves and full sections from around the league.

Archived