US v Canada Jan 22/06

matthew

Not official, but the USSF says an announcement should be coming soon. They also announced their playing Japan in SF.

Supposed to be at a west coast site. We'll see who we bring I guess.

There's a thread on BS.com if yr curious. The dissing has begun.

cheers,

matthew

No respect for Canada on that thread. I'm curious to find out if we'll bring all our best players for this one.

Whoever is playing for us a game against the US is always welcome. But let's hope for something than the last time we palyed them in January....

Hmmm...another winter getaway match for January?

I went to the last one of these in Fort Lauderdale, we ended up playing at best a 3rd string side (Matondo started for example, DeRo got hurt right before the match and didn't play again until the late summer) and we got spanked 4-0. Given the timing of the match I hope we are able to bring a better side this time around or a similar result could occur.

I wonder if there's another January Florida camp for North American based-players, like the type we had in 2004 before the Barbados match. Without that, I can't see too many USL players getting called for this, outside of Sutton perhaps.

We'll hopefully have the Scandinavian-based players for this one, who like their US MLS counterparts, will be in pre-season mode, so at least it should be equal in that respect.

For the yanks it will be an all MLS squad, but a damn strong squad though. We also have a promising young left back who plys his trade in Denmark who should be there. This kid has all the tools. He's only 21, can run a 10.4 100, can dribble, and pass. He turned down a Bundesliga contract in order to get guarenteed first team football.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Isn't the Bundesliga shut down at this time? If so, then we might be able to bring McKenna and Imhoff, maybe Ledgerwood and Canizales. But yes, I suspect we'll be mostly looking at a C+ to B- squad.

Well I guess more specifically the question is the Bundesliga 2 & regional leagues shut down, as we don't have any players in the Bundesliga 1.

Though there teams wouldn't be too happy about flying them to the West Coast & then back to Germany for a match, I suspect, unless they had stayed in Canada following Xmas during the break.

Would it be quicker for Jazic to fly east or west from Russian if he was called?

Bundesliga 2 comes back and plays on January 22 so don't expect players from that league.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well I guess more specifically the question is the Bundesliga 2 & regional leagues shut down, as we don't have any players in the Bundesliga 1.

Though there teams wouldn't be too happy about flying them to the West Coast & then back to Germany for a match, I suspect, unless they had stayed in Canada following Xmas during the break.

Would it be quicker for Jazic to fly east or west from Russian if he was called?

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

For the yanks it will be an all MLS squad, but a damn strong squad though. We also have a promising young left back who plys his trade in Denmark who should be there. This kid has all the tools. He's only 21, can run a 10.4 100, can dribble, and pass. He turned down a Bundesliga contract in order to get guarenteed first team football.

Wyn? ;)

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Why isn't this guy in MLS? Just curious.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Why isn't this guy in MLS? Just curious.

Jason

Some players prefer to play in Europe, even if they league is of a similar standard to MLS. I would imagine the Danish Super League gets scouted more than MLS. About the Canada-US match, I doubt it will be in Seattle. There are far too many illegal Canadian immigrants there. :D We don't want to make it a home match for Canada ;)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hmmm...another winter getaway match for January?

I went to the last one of these in Fort Lauderdale, we ended up playing at best a 3rd string side (Matondo started for example, DeRo got hurt right before the match and didn't play again until the late summer) and we got spanked 4-0. Given the timing of the match I hope we are able to bring a better side this time around or a similar result could occur.

I was at that game too. By the time i sat down with my beer, I had heard that annoying USA goal celebration song twice! You know, that arrogant "goal goal goal, for the red white and blue" ****e. What an embarassment. I remember Donovan carved us up like a Thanksgiving turkey, and also Holger throwing f-bombs like a nazi from the bench! I was real proud that night. My wife, who happens to be american and doesn't know much about soccer felt quite badly for me, since I was eagerly anticipating that game, and the only good thing about it was the ride home back to West Palm! Let's hope we don't field another junior team for this one.

I recall Landon having a number of chances but always getting stoned by Hirshfeld. However his teammates did enough damage on piss poor Canadian defense. That was the last match Menezes played for Canada, and possibly the last one for Fletcher too (who wasn't very sharp in that game). Hastings was the other defender, with Pozniak playing just above him. Xausa also played and was at fault with poor marking on Bocanegra off a corner for the first goal. Things only looked half-promising in the 2nd half once Friend came on we had a few chances as he worked well with MC2 & Nsaliwa, with Maycoll nearly scoring on a rocket but Tim Howard made a great save.

After the game Landon dissed Canada in comments about the US next's match against Argentina, which pissed off a few of the Canadian players that could very well be called to this match....

The text, for those who can't login:

U.S. Soccer Team Plans Canada, Japan Games

By Associated Press

CHICAGO -- The U.S. soccer team will open its 2006 schedule with an exhibition game against Canada on Jan. 22 at San Diego.

The Americans, preparing for the World Cup in Germany, said last month that they will play Norway on Jan. 29 in Carson, Calif.

In addition to the game announced Thursday against Canada at Torero Stadium, the Americans will play Japan on Feb. 10 at San Francisco, according to an e-mail sent this week to fans by the U.S. Soccer Federation. The three games follow a training camp that starts Jan. 4 in Carson.

The U.S. team also intends to play an exhibition game in Europe on March 1 against an opponent that hasn't been finalized, and tentatively is slated to face Germany at Dortmund on March 22. The Americans, also likely to play three exhibition games at home in May, will learn their first-round World Cup opponents at the draw on Dec. 9.

The United States is 11-8-8 against Canada, including 6-0-5 in the past 20 years.

Guest Jeffery S.

It is also come out today that the States has chosen Hamburg as their World Cup base, I think to be closer to Sankt Pauli.

Seriously though, I feel there is no point in games like this. We do not need to just play to look at players, play to hang out, play to give someone else a run. It will be really hard to get a decent squad on a date that is not FIFA (only March 1 is official until the World Cup, in fact, though FIFA decress all club and regional competitions must end by May 14), but there is no way we can properly compete.

And this is what Canada needs now: compete to win. We need to start thinking about results, about a result oriented mentality, and less about developing, scouting, exploring possibilities, basically screwing around. I would much prefer staying with the European option and stay open to qualified teams looking for "action" in the lead up.

Archived