MLS commissioner to meet with MLSE

Here's how Garber's meeting in Toronto unfolded:

MLSE wanks: "Good morning Mr. Garber!"

Garber: "So... which one of you fancy lads is Greg Kerfoot?"

Long uncomfortable silence....

MLSE wank: "Uhhh, Mr. Kerfoot is in Vancouver."

Long uncomfortable silence....

Garber: "So... can anyone give me a lift to the airport?"

Took me a while to find this thread since it got moved. Article in the Toronto Star today mentions nothing about MLS (I don't expect the Star to be that on the ball with this stuff so that's okay) but does mention that the stadium, assuming the feds give the money they previously pledged, will go to the Ex, which is I think is probably what the MLSE would want in terms of location to place an MLS team, and I suspect they may have had some say in it. Put a team in Toronto & Vancouver in the new stadiums and we'll be laughing (not just for the club scene but for the national team) - get a third in Montreal with their new stadium and we'll have died and gone to heaven (while laughing).

Now, about that half-time shut-out........

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

:D I know you're responding to Johhnie's jibes in kind, but if MLSE have never heard of Greg Kerfoot, then they are about the last people in the world who should be running Toronto's MLS bid.

It was a joke on my part. Well, partly. Excuse my ignorance but I am familiar with seagate software as I have used Crystal reports in the past. In fact, just as I type this post, on my desk to the immediate right is a Crystal reports manual from seagate software Info mgmt group, 1095 west pender str, Vancouver BC, V6E 2M6.

Its just that some of other threads that I have been reading would suggest that Greg Kerfoot is some sort of icon of the canadian establishment. A successfull business man? sure. a godsend for canadian soccer? absolutely. wealthy? no doubt. But unless I have misread something, there are many successfull It startups from the high tech boom of the 90's that are still around. Its just that I don't believe that he or they is in the stratosphere of the canadian business establishment that some on the board would suggest. Were it not for my interest in canadian soccer, I might never have heard of him. Yet I read the business pages fairly regularly.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

It was a joke on my part. Well, partly. Excuse my ignorance but I am familiar with seagate software as I have used Crystal reports in the past. In fact, just as I type this post, on my desk to the immediate right is a Crystal reports manual from seagate software Info mgmt group, 1095 west pender str, Vancouver BC, V6E 2M6.

Its just that some of other threads that I have been reading would suggest that Greg Kerfoot is some sort of icon of the canadian establishment. A successfull business man? sure. a godsend for canadian soccer? absolutely. wealthy? no doubt. But unless I have misread something, there are many successfull It startups from the high tech boom of the 90's that are still around. Its just that I don't believe that he or they is in the stratosphere of the canadian business establishment that some on the board would suggest. Were it not for my interest in canadian soccer, I might never have heard of him. Yet I read the business pages fairly regularly.

Same boat here Freekick. Used his software, but had he not bought the Whitecaps, I wouldn't know who he is. I don't know that he is any kind of Icon other than having successfully made several hundred million dollars. Which strikes me as pretty Iconic, but he seems a guy who values his privacy. The only reason I can be pretty definite in my opionion that the guys at MLSE know who he is is because they are competent businessmen, and would have done their due diligence in examining the whole MLS franchise concept, which includes a look at the soccer landscape in Canada generally, which necessarily leads to Kerfoot.

With Rochester about to complete construction on a new stadium, I don't understand why MLS would be interested in having Toronto where NOTHING has been built to date. This seems a little like last year when all people talked about was that Seattle was a shoe-in and at the last minute Salt Lake comes out of nowhere to get the expansion team. I sure hope this isn't one of those smoke-screen tricks and Toronto gets shafted in the end.

With Rochester about to complete construction on a new stadium, I don't understand why MLS would be interested in having Toronto where NOTHING has been built to date. This seems a little like last year when all people talked about was that Seattle was a shoe-in and at the last minute Salt Lake comes out of nowhere to get the expansion team. I sure hope this isn't one of those smoke-screen tricks and Toronto gets shafted in the end.

Kerfoot's main business these days is the Whitecaps.

He sits on the board of a number of agencies, including the soon to be constructed Sea To Sky University ("Sea To Sky" ties in to Vancouver's 2010 Olympics).

Also served on the Premier's Technology Council in BC.

Now he's living the good life... owns a place in Whistler with a private hockey rink, plus a place in Kelowna.

Just copied and pasted this off of the Yahoo sports page.

If MLS keeps going like this, they'll no longer be a money losing proposition for two guys....they'll spread the losses evenly.

MLS's DC United sold to local investors

By Joel Rothstein

WASHINGTON, July 28 (Reuters) - DC United has been sold by Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) to a group comprising local investors and the club's president, the Major League Soccer champion said on Thursday.

United president and CEO Kevin Payne and Washington area businessmen Willi Lauterbach and Tim Kissler paid AEG, a company controlled by billionaire Philip Anschutz, an estimated $20 million for the team's operating rights, according to the Washington Post.

ADVERTISEMENT

While DC United did not reveal the sale price, it said in a statement that the amount was the largest yet paid for an MLS franchise.

Under the MLS ownership structure, investors purchase an interest in the league and then retain operating rights for individual teams.

AEG, controlled by the Denver, Colorado-based Anschutz Corp., also owns the rights to Major League Soccer franchises in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Jose, California.

Later on Thursday DC United were due to host English champions Chelsea in a World Series of Football match in suburban Washington D.C.

The match marks the first time the reigning champions of the Major League Soccer and the English Premier League have played one another.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Hey guys, I think we should stop this thread right now. Being a bit superstitious and all, I don't think we should be tempting fate like those fans who start talking shutout at halftime. ;)

...or a about a stadium being built at York University. (Sorry, couldn't resist [8D])

quote:Originally posted by River City

If MLS keeps going like this, they'll no longer be a money losing proposition for two guys....they'll spread the losses evenly.

MLS has done a good job lately of spreading the ownership around (relatively speaking).

Their current list of owners is as follows:

MetroStars - AEG

DC United - Willi Lauterbach and Tim Kissler

Chicago - AEG (on the block as well, and with a new stadium opening next year a very attractive club)

San Jose - AEG (rumoured to be bought out by Club America very soon)

LA Galaxy - AEG

Chivas USA - Jorge Vergara

Colorado Rapids - Stan Kroenke

FC Dallas - HSG

Columbus Crew - HSG

KC Wizards - HSG (on the block)

New England - Robert Kraft

Real Salt Lake - Dave Checketts

Don't know if anyone has posted this article from two days ago that was in the Toronto Sun. Doesn't say anything new, but its the only Toronto media article I've seen on it:

Sat, July 30, 2005

MLS eyes T.O. team in 2007

By STAFF and AP

THE YEAR 2007 could be a big one for Toronto soccer fans.

Not only will FIFA's world youth championship be played in Toronto and other Canadian cities that year, it could be the inaugural year for a Major League Soccer expansion franchise in Toronto.

Officials of the U.S.-based league were in Toronto on Thursday to discuss a possible franchise here in two years.

"At this point, our efforts have been focused in Toronto," MLS commissioner Don Garber said yesterday on an online chat session in advance of the league's all-star game today.

Garber was responding to a question asked by a Montreal fan concerning MLS interest in his city.

A soccer-specific stadium seating at least 20,000 -- which is the preferred setup for MLS teams -- must be built in time for the world youth event.

Bob Hunter, a senior vice-president for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., said earlier this month that MLSEL wants to bring an MLS franchise to the city.

Archived