MLS commissioner to meet with MLSE

This is what the MLS Commish said today about expansion:

Don Garber: (2:58 PM ET ) 2007 is are target for our next round of expansion with Toronto the frontrunning city. I am traveling to Toronto tomorrow for a meeting with the Maple Leafs board where we hope to get one step closer to finalize a deal in that city. We're still working hard on finalizing the second team, no city leading the pack at this point. Michael, I plan to be with Peter in Milwaukee at some point during the month of August.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=8775

Robert will no doubt be whining soon that the CSA has failed to reveal anything to him about all this which is yet another indicator of the organisation's total incompetence and reason for instant dismaissal of Kevan Pipe and the firing of Andy Sharpe!

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Robert will no doubt be whining soon that the CSA has failed to reveal anything to him about all this which is yet another indicator of the organisation's total incompetence and reason for instant dismaissal of Kevan Pipe and the firing of Andy Sharpe!

Although you are probably correct, I don't see the point of posting something like this.

It borders on baiting, something that Robert does not need as motivation.

Here's another question & answer from that chat that should be of interest:

Bob (Cleveland, OH): I cannot understand adding a team outside of a team outside of the US. Why add a team in Toronto? Why not add a team in Mexico? How would this impact international player limits? What are the pros and cons over the long haul of Toronto over a US city?

Don Garber: (3:21 PM ET ) Great question, Bob. It starts with the three pillars for successful expansion --- Ownership, Stadium and Market. Mexico has it's own first division pro league, which rules out expansion for us there. Clearly, we hope to continue expansion successfully in the U.S. as well. As it relates to international rules, it is likely that a domestic player will be Canadian and a foreign player will be non-Canadian.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

As it relates to international rules, it is likely that a domestic player will be Canadian and a foreign player will be non-Canadian.

Sorry, I just needed to do that. Where are DoyleG and Luis and all the other non-believers now?

Agree, can't stand the negativity and cynicism of some on this board

As it relates to international rules, it is likely that a domestic player will be Canadian and a foreign player will be non-Canadian.

Sorry, I just needed to do that. Where are DoyleG and Luis and all the other non-believers now?

That rule is for the Mexican team.

Besides, he said "likely". Phsss.

I never took that argument seriously after I posted a response ( when the thought first surfaced)that it was a rediculous notion to begin with. I stopped bothering after that. To suggest that Canadian players would be treated as forienger to begin with is not even worth debating.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

That rule is for the Mexican team.

Besides, he said "likely". Phsss.

What Mexican team?

If you mean Chivas USA, they are subject to the exact same rules as the rest of the teams.

In the past I have been pessimistic about the potential benefits of the MLS in Canada, particularly with regards to player development for the MNT. However after seeing how a ULS team like the Impact can contribute to the program, it makes you wonder what a step up in quality, which the MLS team could provide, would do.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

What Mexican team?

If you mean Chivas USA, they are subject to the exact same rules as the rest of the teams.

The question where that answer is from, the guy asked why not expand to Mexico. I was just being stupid. And now I can't login and change it.

Good news. I just hope it gets finalized, including the stadium.

As for the player quotas, ownership group, and how it benefits Toronto

and Canada, well I suppose the details are yet to be announced ...

A Toronto team would be a plus for the MLS, as would the marketing possibilities.

(edited for spelling)

All in all what's the worse that could happen?

MLSE could loose a **** pile of money? Nope. Can't see that as being a negative.

MLS is a success in Toronto, the league makes money, and MLSE looks like roses after it's all said in done? Fu'k. That would be hard to take. MNT player development or no.

Anyway, pretty neat. Pipe and Sharpe scouting out Home Depot in LA. Now the MLS commish is going north? Wow. Something smells fishy.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

All in all what's the worse that could happen?

MLSE could loose a **** pile of money? Nope. Can't see that as being a negative.

MLS is a success in Toronto, the league makes money, and MLSE looks like roses after it's all said in done? Fu'k. That would be hard to take. MNT player development or no.

Anyway, pretty neat. Pipe and Sharpe scouting out Home Depot in LA. Now the MLS commish is going north? Wow. Something smells fishy.

Think there are three great developments that will happen with MLS:

1) Toronto will definitely have a soccer centric stadium (MLS will demand it), thus Canadian soccer will finally have a home

2) Montreal and Vancouver will be envious of Toronto and will feel pressured to make the step up to MLS

3) As someone else mentioned: instead of half the national team playing in the USL (US second division), they will be playing in the MLS (US first division)

I don't see how this "hurts" Canadian soccer in anyway.

I was never a big booster of the MLS coming to Toronto, but I'm starting to think there isn't a lot to be lost by it happening. The Impact and Whitecaps will likely be unaffected (except for a few player losses).

As for the import requirement, the way described by Garber only makes sense. It's how they do it in the USL D1. By the way, I doubt Canadian labour laws would ever allow a rule preventing Canadians from getting jobs over foreigners.

Let's hope for the best...

Jason

Archived