Canada v. Honduras friendly in Vancouver July 2

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

The half-time entertainment will be a water bottle throwing contest. Hit a ref-like target from 40 yards away.

I'm sure Stalteri will be the odds-on favourite ;)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Confirmed as July 2 in Vancouver

There we go again. Geez you hate to get into these petty regional pissing matches especially since Vancouver has historically suported the national teams very well and there is certainly well rooted history for the game on the west coast.

But this is getting ridiculous. Practically all of the important WCQ qualifier were played in Vancouver, plus all the well-scheduled Gold Cup games of any significance are being played in vancouver ( OK its seatlle, but its just the same). If we are a national team, then make it so and share wealth.

I guess in our parts, we will have to wait for the next national team games against sides like Tuvalu or the the Vatican in order get to see some international soccer involving canada. Too bad that friendly versus Nicaragua didn't pan out. If Frank Yallop has a fear of flying, then maybe he should step down from the job and let someone else take over. The WCQ games in Kingston were well supported and there was a very significant contingent of V-support that came out for those matches. Same applies for Boston in the last GC.

If we are going to turn MNT into a regional team, then is it any wonder that the soccer community has to put up with the crap that it has faced in the past weeks over stadiums in places like Toronto? One could understand the argument that the MNT has become a foreign entity to the media folks and public in these parts. That might, in part, explain some of the soccer bashers around. They might be more silent otherwise. Hell, where is the incentive to invest public $$$ in soccer facilities if you cannot hope to attract significant international matches.

quote:If we are going to turn MNT into a regional team, then is it any wonder that the soccer community has to put up with the crap that it has faced in the past weeks over stadiums in places like Toronto? One could understand the argument that the MNT has become a foreign entity to the media folks and public in these parts. That might, in part, explain some of the soccer bashers around. They might be more silent otherwise. Hell, where is the incentive to invest public $$$ in soccer facilities if you cannot hope to attract significant international matches
So Toronto can't get a stadium built because the national team is playing matches on the west coast? Petty stuff, my friend. Pardon me if I withhold sympathies.

Since 2004, the national side has played 5 games in Canada: 2 in Vancouver (Burnaby), 2 in Kingston, 1 in Edmonton. Seems a reasonably equitable distribution. On July 2 Canada will play Honduras at Swangard. Five days later they open the Gold Cup vs. Costa Rica down the road in Seattle. Are you saying you'd prefer they spend at least one of those days flying across the country, not to mention establishing a new training base?

Quote: " So Toronto can't get a stadium built because the national team is playing matches on the west coast? Petty stuff, my friend. Pardon me if I without sympathies"

No thats not what I am saying. But what I am asking is: Would there be the same level of "Ho hum attitude" towards the interests of the CSA in the stadium project from the argos, media, politicians and public in Southern Ontario if there were a little more familarity with the national teams? Playing the odd international match, or showing an interest in playing the odd match, would help.

Nor did I ever say Swangard shoould be ignored. But come on!! how can you compare that belize match with the matches versus Cost Rica, and Guatemala in terms of significance. This is afterall a national team, share the wealth and let other canadians see their matches. It was wrong when there were no matches played in vancouver when Holger was coach just as its wrong to play practically all the important matches in Vancouver with Yallop as coach.

You have to go all the way back more than 8 years to find the last time a match of any signifiocance was played in these parts. Plus I am not talking about southern Ontario only, what about places like Ottawa, Montreal, Kingston, etc.. If many of these places are adequate for hosting the U20 WC without any plans for new infrastructure, then why would they be inadequate for a mear friendly. No doubt, Swangard is is a nice facility for a friendly but there are many other comparable facilites in terms of capacity.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

I don't mind that particular match being played in Vancouver. It's logical if you look at the schedule but I hope that in the future with the new stadiums Toronto and especially Montreal will get some games. It's been 10 years since the last time the MNT played in Mtl.

To be perfectly honnest, I don't mind either that its played in Vancouver. I am more concerned about the message that your sending. It goes something like:

We will play our matches where the coach wants to. Regardless of other factors such as: bringing exposure to our national teams to as many canadians as possible. What I find also annoying is teh pretaxt that you can achieve equity and fairness in this regard with lesser profile events. We all know that in soccer a match versus belize is not equal to a match versus Honduras. But why didn't the CSA play that match versus Belize in Swangard. Oddly, it turns out that the match in Kingston was the best attended match of all the qualifiers. So what do they do as an encore, they offer to play games against Nicaragua in Kingston but more balanced contests in vancouver. Only in a Canada can you get away with this. I'd be interested to see what would happen if you played this same game in places like England or Italy ; Give london the intl womens matches and the mens WCQ versus Malta, Leichestien but play the matches versus Italy, France and Holland in Manchester. I'll bet that that woudln't fly too well.

A similar way of thinking applies when it comes to events. I don't recall the last time that montreal or Ottawa ever hosted a men WCQ match. Maybe never. So what do they do, they give Montreal the U19 womens WC qualifying matches. Are you going to say that all FIFA events hold the same level of prestige? Does it not strike you as tokenism to do this. Would it not help to spead the wealth a little. IF Swangard is good enough for hosting mens int'l matches, why in the world is CCR or Ottawa not?. Would it not help even a little bit to grow the fan base.

As mentioned on the other thread, I think it would be foolish to play this game so close to the Gold Cup matches in Seattle anywhere other than the West Coast. The initial plan was to play a game in Montreal or Ottawa, but that was when they thought they would be opening in Miami or Boston.

However, it is true that eastern Canada hasn't had a significant match against quality opponents in a long time. November of 2000 is the last time. But part of that is why we need the Toronto stadium as it is a great place to attract teams to play friendlies. Hopefully the stadiums get built in Toronto & Montreal so we can restore the balance - if they are built and we are still ignored then we can call for Yallop's head on this issue with some certainty.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

As mentioned on the other thread, I think it would be foolish to play this game so close to the Gold Cup matches in Seattle anywhere other than the West Coast. The initial plan was to play a game in Montreal or Ottawa, but that was when they thought they would be opening in Miami or Boston.

However, it is true that eastern Canada hasn't had a significant match against quality opponents in a long time. November of 2000 is the last time. But part of that is why we need the Toronto stadium as it is a great place to attract teams to play friendlies. Hopefully the stadiums get built in Toronto & Montreal so we can restore the balance - if they are built and we are still ignored then we can call for Yallop's head on this issue with some certainty.

I haven't forgotten about the Nov 2000 WCQ. But by the time that that game was played, Canada was already eliminated from WCQ. Similarly with the game versus Panama.

Suppose we accept that it makes sence to play in Vancouver because of time and distance to the seattle Gold cup matches. But lets not forget that all indications are that it was the CSA that lobbied to have the matches played in Seattle in the first place.

I find it odd that before, Yallop became coach, vancouver was somehow deemed unsuitable for int'l matches. Now that Yallop is coach, it appears to be the only place. Well what changed besides the fact that the coach resides there? . Aren't there more important consideration than civic pride when determining locations for soccer matches in canada?. and aren't here other considerations that should be taken into account when you choose a venue.

Believe it or not, I would find it more acceptable if the CSA just simply declared that BC is the base for the mens national team and have all the games played there including those against Belize. Then they would have to justify the decision and have the infrstructure to support it. But I suspect that they would never do that. Afterall, how could you ever ask the governments to pony up tax $$$ for stadiums that you never intend to use because your games are played elsewhere.

I think that this is symtomatic of a bigger problem.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Its not just because Yallop lives in BC. Pellerud lives her as does Mitchell, and the goalie coach and more. And lets not forget Andy Sharpe.

I used to wonder why Edmonton got so many big games Did Fleming live in Edmonton?

quote:Originally posted by analyst

But thats the problem. Thank you very much for bringing that up. Is this what being a national team means? Funny that we don't see this with Hockey Canada. When they award the world juniors, I never see the same pattern as with the CSA. The world juniors were have been hosted by Halifax, Hamilton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Montreal. Yet, Does anyone know where Bob Nicholson lives? What do you think the sentiment would be if every world junior tournament awarded to canada would be played in the city where Nicholson resides? It really tells you something about the state of the game of soccer in Canada and public awareness of our national teams that there isn't a peep raised. Also, It really unbelievable and probably unprecedented around the world that the second largest city in Canada has never hosted a WCQ game. Nor has the capital city. That is really astounding and tells you something about the people who run soccer in this country and the state of the game.

As I alluded to earlier, maybe it would be better to just officailly declare that you will set up base in BC for all national soccer teams ( mens womens, youth)and play all the games there inclding belize and the U19 womens qualifiers. You could build a consistant and loyal fan base which would in turn bring infrastructure improvements and plus you have the climate advantges. That would be preferrable to playing belize in Ontario and other games in different place altgether. Thats what bothers me, political bodies are fond of playing these kind of ploys and they only work because of ignorance(ie.: because they believe that people cant tell the difference between Belize and Honduras). Therefore it really tells something about the level of awareness of national team soccer in canada when you get away with this. It would never fly in any serious soccer nation. Can you image Milan never getting to host and important international match. Of course that would never happen in Italy.

I feel for you guys back east, I mean, I'd be upset if Vanouver didn't get to host any games. I wonder how they decide where to play the games? By the way, does anyone know when tickets will be on sale for the honduras game july 2nd?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But thats the problem. Thank you very much for bringing that up. Is this what being a national team means? Funny that we don't see this with Hockey Canada. When they award the world juniors, I never see the same pattern as with the CSA. The world juniors were have been hosted by Halifax, Hamilton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Montreal. Yet, Does anyone know where Bob Nicholson lives? What do you think the sentiment would be if every world junior tournament awarded to canada would be played in the city where Nicholson resides?

Nice comaprison. Here's another: We have been on Hockey Canada's blacklist for the MNT since 1972. How many World Cup/Canada Cup games have we gotten since? Only a few, many years ago. I think I'm going to get on a message board and cry about it... :(

Don't fret too much. Things will change. Andy Sharpe is moving to Saskatchewan, then the MNT will play its games in Regina and Saskatoon.

After that someone from the Atlantic can be Prexz of the CSA and games can be played in Charlottetown and NFLD.;)

Don't fret too much. Things will change. Andy Sharpe is moving to Saskatchewan, then the MNT will play its games in Regina and Saskatoon.

After that someone from the Atlantic can be Prexz of the CSA and games can be played in Charlottetown and NFLD.;)

Did I not hear previously that it was cheaper to fly our euro players to the east coast than the west coast? The day that we have a large stadium that we could call Canada's National Soccer Stadium then where to play would be resolved.

Did I not hear previously that it was cheaper to fly our euro players to the east coast than the west coast? The day that we have a large stadium that we could call Canada's National Soccer Stadium then where to play would be resolved.

I think this is the dumbest thread ever. Do you all not remember how often everyone complained about not even getting any MNT games in Canada? Now we get a string of games and the majority happen to be in Vancouver. Would you rather we still not get any games? Get your heads out of your a$$es.

I think this is the dumbest thread ever. Do you all not remember how often everyone complained about not even getting any MNT games in Canada? Now we get a string of games and the majority happen to be in Vancouver. Would you rather we still not get any games? Get your heads out of your a$$es.

Archived