Canada v. Honduras friendly in Vancouver July 2

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

I think this is the dumbest thread ever. Do you all not remember how often everyone complained about not even getting any MNT games in Canada? Now we get a string of games and the majority happen to be in Vancouver. Would you rather we still not get any games? Get your heads out of your a$$es.

Yeah, I sort of have to agree. Sure, I like the idea of game being played all over the country, but this one makes perfect sense considering the Gold Cup, and let's be damned honest: As soon as Toronto gets a proper stadium, I'd be pretty certain that 90% of the games will be played there. Then us lads in Vancouver can start bitching.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Couldn't agree more, this is pathetic whining.

Winnipeg has had 3 senior games in it's history, so maybe the next game should be in Winnipeg.[}:)]

Oh yeah, where? The imaginary soccer complex?

Maybe Alexander Park? :D Better ask Sam ...

I'm just thankful Canada's finally playing some friendlies on our own turf,, as it is an extremely rare sight over the past decade,, I couldn't give a rats a$$ where the games are played... I think once the stadium gets built in Toronto we will see more games out east but as for now its nothing really to get stressed out over...

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

To be perfectly honnest, I don't mind either that its played in Vancouver. I am more concerned about the message that your sending. It goes something like:

We will play our matches where the coach wants to. Regardless of other factors such as: bringing exposure to our national teams to as many canadians as possible. What I find also annoying is teh pretaxt that you can achieve equity and fairness in this regard with lesser profile events. We all know that in soccer a match versus belize is not equal to a match versus Honduras. But why didn't the CSA play that match versus Belize in Swangard. Oddly, it turns out that the match in Kingston was the best attended match of all the qualifiers. So what do they do as an encore, they offer to play games against Nicaragua in Kingston but more balanced contests in vancouver. Only in a Canada can you get away with this. I'd be interested to see what would happen if you played this same game in places like England or Italy ; Give london the intl womens matches and the mens WCQ versus Malta, Leichestien but play the matches versus Italy, France and Holland in Manchester. I'll bet that that woudln't fly too well.

A similar way of thinking applies when it comes to events. I don't recall the last time that montreal or Ottawa ever hosted a men WCQ match. Maybe never. So what do they do, they give Montreal the U19 womens WC qualifying matches. Are you going to say that all FIFA events hold the same level of prestige? Does it not strike you as tokenism to do this. Would it not help to spead the wealth a little. IF Swangard is good enough for hosting mens int'l matches, why in the world is CCR or Ottawa not?. Would it not help even a little bit to grow the fan base.

You read something that was'nt there. I think the few MNT games we have in Canada should be spread out between all provinces interested and capable of having them. But the problem of the distribution of the games is a false one. The real problem is the lack of games.

Archived